A Question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been thinking alot since the threads on here about public schoolers' negative remarks and arguments against our homeschooling. I have a question that I would love to hear everyone's response on. Think about it.....the answer may not be as clear after a little thought as your first thought. Also, if your answer is no, then what is the solution....does anyone really know. Is there a way to "fix" it at all?

Do you believe that everyone should homeschool?
April 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I believe everyone could, if they wanted to. Should? I think they should want to. I think if everyone who had kids put them first, setting aside all selfish things that get in the way of really raising and nurturing children, the world would be a much happier place. But, I know that isn't going to happen, so I guess in some ways I am glad we have public schools to be a holding tank for at least some of the time.

And to be clear, I don't think all public schools are holding tanks and all ps teachers are just babysitters. I believe there are some great things going on out there. But that is in spite of the system, not because of it.
April 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I don't think everyone should homeschool. There really are people who just aren't cut out for it. (Then again, there are people who aren't really cut out for parenting in general.) I also totally respect people not wanting to. Homeschooling can be a scary proposition. There are no other teachers to blame it on lol

As for a solution, the first thing they need to ditch is No Child Left Behind and all the focus on testing. Class sizes need to be reduced. Spending needs to be smarter (not necessarily increased). Grouping students by ability, no matter how un-PC it is, is a good idea. It really helps the faster kids not to be slowed down and the slower kids not to get lost. Alternative methods of education in an institutional setting should be at least considered (Waldorf, Montessori, etc.). Some kids just don't respond to textbooks and worksheets.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM
kristydietsche's Avatar Member
No, I don't think everyone should homeschool. It isn't right for every family. Granted, I do think almost every child would benifit from a GOOD homeschool environment. But I KNOW some parents just would not be able to provide such a thing.

I also think that public education is a wonderful concept. I mean, no one wants the public at large to be uneducated. But of course, the system is terribly flawed. Their one size fits all approach to things is just one example of why.
April 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do think that everyone should want to homeschool. However, I also believe that everyone is not cut out for it. The people that make the comments to me on how they don't know how I can stay home all day with my children and not have a job and put them in daycare. Those are the ones that need to send their children to public school for the child's sake. At the same time I also don't think those "types" should of had children to begin with. I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to sound harsh. People have to make the decisions that are right for their family at the time. I think if you said everyone should homeschool then it is the same as saying everyone should go to public school. I don't believe we as people are made to fit into robot molds. We are each unique and individual and all take a different approach to things. Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
As for a solution, the first thing they need to ditch is No Child Left Behind and all the focus on testing.[/b]
That is a high reason on my list for why my children are being homeschooled. If I'm going to have to teach them anyways through homework, I'd rather them be home with me. The 6-8 hours they are away from me at school is to be corraled and learn how to take a test and I don't agree with it one bit! I believe some people are naturally bad test takers and no amount of preparation is going to change that. I don't agree that every 6 year old should read and every 12 year old should be doing algrebra. Some people are just NOT built that way. *shrugs* It's just a mess now. I think there are just so many children and not enough teachers that actually care. I'm not saying that all teachers don't care, but there are definitely some that care more than others.

I sure hope some of this made sense. I'm such a ditz these days.

April 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Public schooling is important to society. Everyone derserves an education. Not everyone can afford tuition to a private school and not everyone can or even wants to homeschool. So public schools are necessary.
I agree as someone else said that most children would benefit from homeschooling done the right way.

I also agree on the smaller classes and different types of schooling. If every classroom had less than 10 kids say, and nurtured the whole child, if learning was for learning's sake, if.... ahh, but then there's reality. Is all of that possible? Not in the society we currently have set up. But...if we could change things from the ground up. If each village took responsiblity for it's own children. If we functioned more like a tribe who looked after and valued each and every member. If schools weren't used as warehouses for children to be held until they can contribute financially, etc..

So yes, it's possible for there to be quality free education, but it would take an entire shift in the way people think about children and community as a whole.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not believe everyone should homeschool. Many people can't, like single moms who become single moms through no fault of their own- death/abandonment. If something like that were to happen in my case I would like to have the option of something else for my children. I also don't think that everyone would even want to and I respect that. I don't want to public school and it doesn't make me a bad parent, the same goes for public schoolers. I know many wonderful public schooling moms in my family and I think they are awesome! My sister is one of them. She loves a lot of things about homeschool, but right now doesn't want to do it and I think she is a great and wonderful mom.

As for the solution, I think there should always be some sort of education option, but not what there currently is. School choice and attaching the money to the children and not the almighty system would be a start. Internships, not making public school mandatory would also help. Most parents would send their children to some form of educational system anyway, but now they wouldn't feel forced into a monopoly. No age segregations, sitting in classrooms with 8 hours of mindless busy work and 4 hours of homework a day. No bells and learning stations, etc. Do I ever think this will happen? No, not in my life time. Which is why I will homeschool my children.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Should everyone homeschool? No. I really feel people should have tons choices which as of right now they do not. I live in an area where the parents have trouble keeping there kids not filthy, fed, and clothed when outside. I do not trust them with there child's education. If they did want to then I would support them because they are taking a interest. Do I feel they should have kids, I could write another essay on that.

I feel instead of classes there should be level 1, 2, & 3. Each level has a list of things they have to accomplish before moving on. How they accomplish there goal is up to them. I feel that class rooms should be more like big gyms with tables and activities and teachers leading lectures and watching the kids. With the teachers versed in a whole bunch of learning styles.

I feel that Standardized tests should be replaced by portfolios. The teachers will check off when a child accomplishes a goal. The portfolio should be in the way that's best for the child whether it's worksheets or video taped. The goals for the three levels would have to be the same so the portfolio reviewer could take last portfolio review sheet and continue checking off what they accomplished.

The reason I would want everyone in the same room is that the parent may want the child to learn a certain way when the child may learn better a different way. If a child starts at 8 and doesn't go to level 2 till 15 that's fine. If another starts at 4 and moves to level 2 at 6 that's fine too. There should be no homework unless the kid wants to take stuff home. Some schools already have a no homework policy.

I squirm at the thought of what it would be like if Miguel was in Public School. I feel medication and special classes would be in the mix. I say this because his most recent thing to do is scream-reading while spinning in a circle or crying uncontrollably if I suggest work-books, or work sheets before sundown.

April 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good questions Sherry.
Do I believe that everyone should homeschool? No because some people are really not cut out for it. It's these people that should avail themselves of public education. But here I am also talking about those people that should not have had kids in the first place. Like the mother I saw smoking next to her baby at the mall, the mother who walked half a block ahead while her 20 month old picked up cigarette buts from the gutter wondering out close to the traffic; and the mother I heard use you F#@%ing! kids at them as soon as they walked in the door. Literally the kids were about 5 meters ahead of me as I walked down to a friends house, so that was how they were greeted on coming home from school. I think a half way decent public school would be a better environment for those kids. Most people that I know personally could homeschool if they wanted to but I believe they are all quite brainwashed by the public school system into thinking that "Kids need school". I have had the "I would homeschool but my kids need the socialization" line many times. I often think does that mean you think my kids are missing out?

Solution? Much smaller schools with tiny class sizes. One good thing about the Christian school here is that classes have only 12-15 kids. I think if all state schools had a maximum of 15 kids per class the kids would do a whole lot better. Our form of NCLB should be thrown out and children should be grouped by ability with a freedom to go to different levels for different subjects. Every class should have an aid or a parent helper. Homework apart from reading to your child should be scrapped. Teachers should be evaluated and fired not moved on if they have shown to be poor teachers. Of course that wont happen. But if most people homeschooled their kids then that kind of school system could become a reality and then both homeschooled and schooled kids would benifit.

Heres my can of worms- I think every Christian mother/father should give homeschooling a go for at least 2 years. Then see how they feel. Not that I would ever say that to anyone I know because 70% of them use the local Christian School, one of them is a close friend, who I still think is brainwashed by the socialization thing.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Heres my can of worms- I think every Christian mother/father should give homeschooling a go for at least 2 years. Then see how they feel. Not that I would ever say that to anyone I know because 70% of them use the local Christian School, one of them is a close friend, who I still think is brainwashed by the socialization thing.[/b]

Why Christian parents instead of just parents in general?

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Because I believe the Bible mandates that Christian parents teach there children Gods way themselves and that the state system is secular so not suitable for Christian children. I don't think secular parents have any such mandate. If many more secular parents also homeschooled though it would make the public much better. I don't think Christian parents should use the secular system but I know many do. If they can't aford the Christian School most automaticly send them to the public.

April 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with KC, Christian parents are charged with childrearing as a divine calling. I know many Christian parents who say they aren't "Called to homeschooling." I think they have it backwards, unless they are called to send their kids to government schools, they should not.
April 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think every child would benefit greatly from a GOOD homeschool environment, but I know that there are many parents who should not even CONSIDER homeschooling... my SIL is one who could NEVER homeschool her own kids. Her attitude toward the kids and learning is completely wrong if she were to try teaching her children! The kids would basically be in their rooms all afternoon (from one until five) and allowed to watch movies or play "learning video games" all morning. So basically never really have to do written work at all, and rarely if ever interact with a human being except for meals. Yeah... it wouldn't work.

I agree with Kitty-Cat that every Christian family should try homeschooling for at least two years and reevaluate after that, because it is the parents responsibility first and foremost to educate and train up their children. But, I don't think Christian schools should be the fallback. Quite honestly, every good Christian family should homeschool, plain and simple. I know single mothers, single fathers, families with only one child, and families with eight and counting children who all homeschool without a problem, so there is absolutely no excuse for a Christian family who says they "can't" or "don't feel they could" or whatever. I guess that basically means that I think all Christian families SHOULD homeschool.

Having worked in a Christian school with a very small class size, I am very much against even a small class size in an institution. The only time that I would think a Christian school MIGHT work is if there was a range in grades and ages in every classroom, so as to create a homeschool-like environment in every classroom, and avoid many of the peer socialization problems.

But, in all reality, I'm very anti-institution with regards to primary and secondary education. Post secondary isn't really something I see as being good for people to be *attending* an institution rather than just supervised by one, unless it is for something that really DOES have to happen IN PERSON at the institution such as a medical degree or something like that. I'm doing a teaching degree (which likely will never be used to earn money) through correspondence... obviously you don't have to go to school for that one!
April 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I don't believe everyone should homeschool. I don't think it's for everyone and I think there should always be the choice of home, public or private school. I do believe the public school system needs to be fixed though. How? Not a clue, but there definitely need to be smaller class sizes and more one on one teacher/student interaction.

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”~ Anton LaVey
April 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No - I do not think that every parent should homeschool. I am looking forward to doing it next year - and feel that it is the best thing for my son. Right now he is in a fabulous Christian school - and if we could afford it - I would be completely fine with continuing to send him there. He is getting a great education. Will he (and I) be happier with him home? That remains to be seen.

As far as public schools - I taught in one for 10 years. I gave 110% of my life to those kids - doing everything that I could to help them succeed. Some of them had parents who didnt care at all - who thought football practice was more important than reading for 15 minutes at night. I also had the parents who were more than happy to blame me for everything and an administration who only cared about the bottom line. What were the "test scores?" Because everything that I taught these kids should be evident on a test that was given on May XX - when Johnny had a bad cold - and Dylan was screamed at all morning before he came to school - and Mary was worried about what she was wearing - and would she fit in with all the other kids. I worked at a great school - and every teacher that I worked with - absolutely every one of them - was there to give everything that they had to those kids. And it was bad there - let alone at a school with absolutely NO parental support - etc...... I will never go back to teaching - (in a school system that is) unless it is on the college level. I am so blessed to be able to be home with my kids - and I thank God every day. We go without lots of extras - that is for sure - but it is worth it.

So that is my 2cents!!

Forever in our hearts

April 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
But, in all reality, I'm very anti-institution with regards to primary and secondary education. Post secondary isn't really something I see as being good for people to be *attending* an institution rather than just supervised by one, unless it is for something that really DOES have to happen IN PERSON at the institution such as a medical degree or something like that. I'm doing a teaching degree (which likely will never be used to earn money) through correspondence... obviously you don't have to go to school for that one![/b]
I agree here. The more I read about education and institutions the less I like them. I do think some sort of public education should exist, but not like it is. There are so many options out there, I wish they would just start from the ground up in the way they think of education.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If many more secular parents also homeschooled though it would make the public much better.[/b]
I'm sure that wasn't meant to be as offensive as it sounds, right? It sounds like youre saying if a lot of the secular kids were taken out of the public schools that would make them school better for everyone else. I understand that some parents aren't comfortable with the secular teaching of most public schools, but are the secular kids really a problem too? I hope you don't take my questions the wrong way. I'm really just trying to understand.

I understand the other part though about the bible. THanks for clearning that up. I know there are certain churches who encourage parents to homeschool, but I wasn't aware about a specific biblical teaching. That is very interesting. It's never been mentioned in any of the churches I've ever attended.

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry I think I needed more breakfast coffee! I ment if more people in general homeschooled then the public schools would be better because class sizes would be smaller. To me smaller class size = better schools. Because that way the teacher would know each child better so Jhonny could not just hide behind some class room clown act because he can't read, and Suzzy who needs more one on one time would get it. Well you would hope that would be the case. Also homeschoolers would benifit because of the increased numbers we would actualy get some things over here. Like in America you get homeschool classes at places like the Y or the gym or places, right? We get nothing, we don't even get a single book on homeschooling in our crumby library or in any regular bookshop such as QBD. It's like we don't even exsist and are not agknowledged in any way. The most we have had at out park day is 9 families, I nearly fell over when I see America have groups that have 200 odd families!
ok getting off topic lol.

April 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jo already said what I was going to

April 14th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cool, I get it now.

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic