Heather

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a pregnancy question for you. I remember you saying you decline most prenatal testing... do you get the glucose test done or do you decline that one also?

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”~ Anton LaVey
April 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I've never had that one done in any of my pregnancies. Even when I was seeing mainstream OBs they were fine with me declining it. I have low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and the GTT I had to diagnose that had to be stopped early because my blood sugar was dropping too fast and too much. I strongly believe the GTT during pregnancy is dangerous to both the mother and baby and not even remotely like reality. The OBs I saw with Ani and Cameron wanted me to test my blood sugar daily and bring the results to appointments (most of the numbers I ended up making up because I'd only remember to test once or twice a week most of the time). The midwife (CNM) I switched to at the end of my pregnancy with Cameron didn't care about the numbers and my midwife with Fritz and this one (CPM) is so used to women declining tests that she doesn't even mention it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, thank you! I have an OB appointment on Thursday where they will want to schedule it for me and I really don't want to have it done. I have never had issues with blood sugar, I have never had GD and I just don't understand how pumping me full of a syrupy sugar that I would never normally drink, making me sit for an ho ur and taking my blood would be an accurate way of testing blood sugar. I don't understand why they don't just do the finger prick thing and then if there's reason for concern, send you for more testing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something horrible by declining it. Now I just need to figure out how to tell the dr I'm not doing it. I know they are going to insist it's necessary.

April 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Just so you know I never had blood sugar problems either but ended up with GD in my first pregnancy. It was so bad I ended up on insulin. Then when the last 2 pg I never had it so it is hard to predict who might or might not get it. I don't think that particular test hurts to endure to be on the safe side. Just wanted to give you a different perspective here.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had them done, but with my last I was sorry I had. I was borderline with my last and so they sent me for the 3 hour! Then it comes up that I didn't have it. Oh, the agony!! Plus after all that they drew my blood and I almost passed out.
I swear I have low blood sugar anyways since I can't go past 2 hours without eating a little something. Makes it hard to lose weight, ya know?

I do, however, decline the genetic testing thing they do in the second trimester. They do a blood test and then if they see problems they do an amnio and I'm NOT for that at all. I feel like if there's anything wrong, we'd see it via u/s and even if there was something wrong with the baby I'd go ahead with the pregnancy anyways. So there's no point in doing so many tests for that, IMO

April 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Actually, Stacy, that test CAN hurt certain people. There is a very good chance I would pass out during it and it could harm my babies. Even the totally mainstream OB agreed that for some people the GTT is a very, very bad idea.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do understand that every pregnancy is different and what I may not have had in my first two pregnancies, I may have with this one. I guess I just don't understand, like I said, how pumping me full of a sugary syrup can possibly be good for anyone. I would think that just regular monitoring at your drs office would be sufficient and that you would have at least some symptoms of GD if you do in fact have it. Not to mention the several false positives I have seen in my DDC with the one hour, but then the 3 hour comes out negative. I guess I can just talk to my OB about it Thursday, but he would need to have some pretty convincing arguments that the test is a good thing. I don't know, I don't want to decline something I may need and hurt the baby, but I also don't want testing I don't need. I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding whether I really need this test or not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search