Anyone here read John Holt?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I found one of his books at the library and am loving it! Its How Children Learn. I really like a lot of his ideas and thinking about education. Opens my eyes to even a lot of things that I do in my own teaching with my kids. A lot of what he says speaks so much on trusting that children know how to learn- with us providing the food, but not that we necessarily have to sit in front of them and 'teach' them, forcing them to learn because we know more than they do. That kids really do know how to learn and that learning is natural just like breathing is. Anyway, its really good, just wanted to know if anyone else has read it?

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 15th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I haven't read his stuff. I don't really read homeschooling books (most I have "read" I've scanned lol). He's got a lot of good stuff to say, though. I've known lots of people who have gone to hear him speak.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have How Children Fail. I've haven't read it cover to cover, but I do like what he says.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Only home school book I have read is "dumbing us down"

April 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Only home school book I have read is "dumbing us down"[/b]

I like that one too. Gatto draws on his own experiences as a teacher, but what is says is mirrored with John Holt, though I really like Holt because he has great ideas of teaching. Gatto get animated and angry and has great points, many of the same that he may have gotten from Holt, but Holt speaks with- as one of the supporters on the book says- with 'gentle reason'. He just makes sense and has good ideas of how to implement child lead learning.

April 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have read John Holt but I thought it was boring..... I was surprised since he seems so important to the "homeschooling movement" .... doh....
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
April 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have read John Holt but I thought it was boring..... I was surprised since he seems so important to the "homeschooling movement" .... doh....[/b]

Humm,... I can see where you are coming from, but I really like what he says. I get drawn in by each story he has on how the children he observed and taught were able to learn on their own. I find it all fascinating.

April 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't read anything by him yet but he's on my list...my long, looong list!

April 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Nope..I'm not a Parenting,Homeschooling,how to book kinda person..
April 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have only read one of his books which I thought was one of the stupidest things I have ever read. About how kids should make up there own minds from young ages about smoking, sex, driving etc. This was not one of his school books but more on discipline. Haha or lack there of! After reading that rubbish I have little time for the man although I know he is revered among many homeschoolers. His learning book may be great but the philosophy behind the man is warped.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Part of my problem might be that I am not an unschooler at heart.... I've tried to get into it and read 3 or 4 unschooling books... but I just am not an unschooler and nothing stirs in me when I read about it.... we are unschooling preschool, but other people and methods are far more inspiring to me for later on like charlotte mason....

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
April 27th, 2008, 05:51 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Same here.. I can't be comfy with unschooling as a general rule. We do a mild form of it some days, but mostly not...
April 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The interesting thing about the relationship of John Holt to unschooling is that his view originally was that ALL schooling outside of an institutional setting (so any schooling happening at home) was "unschooling." His original intent has been changed over time and now we view him as the father of unschooling as we see it today.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All of this is very interesting. I have never read any of his discipline books before. I don't really consider myself as an unschooler, but I do see some logic in it to a point. I knew some VERY smart unschoolers growing up. His ideas in How Children Learn are really interesting because they show how to provide food, but don't force feed kids. When it starts to become a battle then I feel less is learned by the kids and I back off and try again later or try another approach. His ideas have been helpful just to see that kids don't all learn at the same pace. That they can get very defensive if they feel that you are trying to force them when they aren't ready, like they aren't smart enough to get it and figure it out in time. I don't read things to agree 100% with the author, but I tend to find the things I DO agree with and try and implement them.

April 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Quote:
The interesting thing about the relationship of John Holt to unschooling is that his view originally was that ALL schooling outside of an institutional setting (so any schooling happening at home) was "unschooling." His original intent has been changed over time and now we view him as the father of unschooling as we see it today.[/b]
This is true! I do agree with what he says about public schools in general.... but I still find him a rather boring author

I was thinking of other books on the same unschooling subject-- the modern day definition of unschooling like in Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search