What are some of your routines

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
Ok I know I am sking tons of questions but I am so new at this and just have so many questions. LOL

What are your routines looking like.....like break times.......how many hrs you spend a day doing work.......etc.

April 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We don't take breaks during school. Start to finish school takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours and since a lot of it is me reading to them (we use Sonlight which is literature based) it doesn't tire them out. They've never asked to take a break during school time.

Our whole day routine goes about like this:
Morning Miracle Music
School
Free Time
Lunch
Free Time
I read aloud to them
Rest time
Free Time
Snack
Free Time
Afternoon Chores
Free Time
Ani and I make dinner while Cameron and Fritz play
Dinner
Evenings we do whatever since Jamie's home
Evening Miracle Music
Family Scripture Reading
Bed

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
WOW you dont have school for very long at all! Your routine is very organised! Thanks for sharing!

April 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM
kristydietsche's Avatar Member
We're not very orginized. I get up around 9am and do MY routine ( thank you Flylady ) and then the kids get up and have breakfast around 9:30. Between 10 and 2 we have school. We take alot of breaks. With a 2 yr old who is into everything, it's better not to try to be perfect and stay on a schedule, for us anyway. School is different everyday. Sometimes it's mostly reading and talking, sometimes math sometimes a field trip. We are actually almost done with our first year so I'm not starting any new units. We spend ALOT of time at the library.
April 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, with us it is pretty lax too since my daughter is only 4. It is very child led. Some days she wants more structure and some days none at all. In the morning she plays after breakfast at about 9:30 and she finds whatever entertains her while I get work done- dishes, shower, whatever- and she keeps an eye on the baby for me. Then when the baby goes down for her nap is when Emily usually asks for either 'school' or school with her code name of 'games'. She is funny, sometimes she wants to say that yes she does school and other times she wants it to be clear that she is playing a game. This consists of many, many things and just depends on what we can find or ideas I have for the day. Or she will ask me to read to her. Then I get we have lunch and she and the baby play, I get dinner ready, free time when daddy gets home, bedtime routine of scriptures, song, story, prayer, brush teeth and off to bed. I have to say when the weather is good we basically head out to play as soon as everyone is dressed and spend the whole day outside- including picnic lunch and walks after dinner. Anyway, so it really depends from day to day.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to get my children up in the mornings to start school at a certain time, but we were finishing so early in the day that I thought it made more since to let them sleep as long as they needed to. This doesn't mean that they sleep until noon...by any means. Here is an idea of what our day looks like.

Jeff leaves for the gym at 5:00
I get up a couple of hours or so later and do my computer/coffee/reading time
Kids get up/I start breakfast
Breakfast
Kids clean their rooms and get their exercise/outside play time
Group time(History, Science, some reading)
Break
Kids start their bookwork while I cook lunch
Lunch
Finish book work
Done for the day.......no two days are the same from here on out. We karate on Tues. and Thurs. Carter has baseball games 2 days a week.

April 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ours looks like this:

7am Breakfast, Dress, Morning chores
9am School Starts (big kids work/read on their own, little kids play, read books with me, do crafts, etc..)
11am Lunch and Free time
12pm Group schoolwork (history, science, read aloud, nature walks, etc..)
2pm Clean up schoolroom and any other chores that need doing
3pm Free until dinner time
5pm Dinner
Free until Bedtime
7:00 little kids bedtime routine starts
8:00 up to bed for the big kids
8:30 Lights out

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Our's varies because we have a lot of outside activities..but a non activity day reads something like this:

I am up by 6.. the wee ones start getting up also.

From 6 until 8/9 we eat,get dressed etc.I usually have Noah wake between 9-10 .

I get Declan's schoolwork out of the way either before Noah wakes or when Noah is getting his morning stuff done.
Noah (8/9th grade) works on his stuff for a good 2-4 hours depending on the day.

We have lunch/play outside etc as we need to, the little rest/nap in the afternoon and that's normally when Noah and I do any work he needs me to help him with.

Of course in about 12 days our whole routine will change as Eric will be working 2nd shift.. it will take some getting used to for sure!
April 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not very scheduled, but here goes-
6-7am Get up some point in there and go on the computer.
7am Son gets up and plays inside and has breakfast.
6.30-8am daughter gets up at any odd time in there. Plays inside
7.00-8.30 Kids play outside or inside or both
8.00-10 kids watch tv, play inside or outside.
Basicly I like them to play outside of a morning so I make sure they do at some point.
8.00-9.30 breakfast some time in there. Put first load of washing on if disorginized, put second load on if orginized!
10-12 school time. This may only take an hour to an hour and a half but I leave it opne for 2.
12 lunch
12.30-2/2.30 is quiet time.
2/2.30 kids play inside
3pm arfternoon tv. We have excelent ABC kids tv over here. Good cartoons and no adds!
3.30 afternoontea. more tv or outside
4.oo outside time
5.00 outside or inside maybe a dvd.
6pm dinner, baths inside play
7.30 bed for ds
8.30 bed for dd.

About 10 till 12 I leave open for school. Often that is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Most people do school up to about grade 2 in under 2 hours)
We don't take breaks, lol most of the day is a break! My kids are pretty free to play or watch tv/dvds. I am not one to be too botherd about tv so long as I like the content. Half the time I put a dvd on and there off playing anyway lol. So some days are dvd jags, and I do have to inforce breaks but other days I can't peel them away from outside while it's getting dark.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ours is different every day, but basically we do school some time between 10 and 12 every day. Sometimes, if the time gets away from me, we do a little school and then DS naps and then we do a little afterwards. But I like to finish it all once we start since it only takes like 30minutes to and hour every day. Depending on how much he drags his feet.

April 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a bit of an unusual routine in our home, because my homeschoolee is not my own, and so has to arrive, so...

7:30 DH and I get up, have some relaxing time and then get dressed
8:00 or so DH and I have breakfast, then do whatever needs doing for the day (normally I get organized for our nephew's arrival)
8:30-8:45 our nephew arrives, SOMEWHERE in there. We never know exactly when
8:45-9:30 we work on kitchen and livingroom chores, and our nephew either helps or plays depending on his mood and the tasks at hand
9:30 we go outside for a while, DH sometimes comes out, sometimes stays inside
10:30 DH and our nephew have some "boy time" together, winding down after the outdoor play, leading up to DH leaving for work

10:45 nephew and I start school work (workbooks) which I was intending to do no more than 1/2 an hour on a VERY long day, but he has insisted on no less than 45 mins a day so far... we'll see if that keeps going as things start to get harder, but for now that's fine. Actually, today, I ended school when he started to not listen to instructions, and we'd only been working for about 30 mins, and he was arguing with me about whether it was time to stop or not... but we'd already done two days of work!

11:30 we read some books (right now it is the original Winnie-The-Pooh and Just So Stories and anything else he picks)
12:00ish we make and eat lunch
12:30 we read some more stories and wind down for a nap
1:00 nap time... which miraculously often lasts two or three hours!!
3:00 or whenever he wakes up if he's asleep at 3, we have a snack and then head outside again
5:30 or later, he gets picked up from here, and I get to do my own school work and look after supper and such. He eats with us on Wednesdays and Thursdays, however.
April 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay I'm the lazy one around here...
I get up anywhere from 8 am to 4 pm depending on my mood and when I went to bed the night/day before. DS wakes up at 12-2 pm no mater when he goes to bed.
we're usually out of our house doing activities 4:30-9 pm every day and dependend on the night visit friends until 12 am.
Some time during that Miguel reads a chapter book and all day we have conversations and watch educational movies. Miguel goes to bed anywhere from 12 am- 2 am I go to be between 12 am and 10 am.

April 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks ladies this helps....just wondering though for the moms that spend 2 hours or less a day how do you meet the 1,000 hrs requirement

April 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My state doesn't require hours. I can do either 900 hrs OR 180 days. So, we do days since it's much easier. We spend between 2 and 3 hours a day on school and don't really stick much to a schedule. We get up around 8 and have breakfast, get dressed, etc.... then school. We are done by 11 or 12, eat lunch and then the rest of the day we do whatever we feel like doing.

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”~ Anton LaVey
April 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Oh wow that is awesome....we have to do 1,000 hrs!

April 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well that could work out to be a long day for you, but remember it doesn't all have to be sit down work. We are going to the park for the 2nd half our day today- that is P.E. so I count it. Nature walks, field trips, time spent painting or drawing, practicing a musical instrument, etc.. could all count as hours.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Virginia has no time or number of days requirement. Just remember that kids are learning all the time, not just when they are doing sitting down focused school. Like Cameron likes to watch Crash! Bang! Splat! on Discovery Kids. That's an educational science show. They also like The Ultimate Guide to the Awesome. That's another educational show (various subjects). They watch those for fun, but it can be counted as time in "school." Also, no one is going to ask you exactly how you came up with the hours. You just tell them you did them.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
yeah I have been adding everything I can including watching discovery shows and reading and trips to the grocery store when they help add prices and such! But it does seem a little overwhelming to do the 1,000 hrs because there are plenty of times I forget to record something.

April 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Here we don't have to meet an hours standard, and my nephew is a little young for recording hours since he is only four, but to use today as an example:

Our nephew arrived at 8:40, and he listened to some kids music and played with some toys. We were outside from 9:15 until 10:30, read from 10:30 until almost 11:00, did workbooks from 11:00-11:30, read some more stories from 11:30-12:00, 12:00 made and had lunch (yes, he made his own), 12:30 he cleaned up a mess he made, 12:45 we read some "bed time" stories, 1:00 he's down for nap time (which strangely, will last about two hours-- his regular sleep time, even at four). We need to pick up his sister at 3:00 from her school, will be going to the library after that, and then coming back to my house. After we're back here, we'll hopefully have some time to play outdoors, and I'm guessing sidewalk chalk might be the play of choice today because it's so nice out. We'll start supper around 4:30 so we'll be eating between 5:15 and 5:30, finish supper around 6:00, read books until their mom picks them up at 6:30.

So, if I needed to account for the hours, I would say the toy time was gross/fine motor development time, and math time, the music was also math time along with being music time-- about 1/2 an hour of school time there. The outdoor play this morning was gym and science (we saw a heron fishing in the water, watched the ducks swimming, and "fished", plus we experimented with what happens when you throw various things into the water-- rocks, sticks, etc) so that is 1 hour. The reading that has accumulated so far is literature/English, and so that is 1.25 hours. Work book time covered colours, printing, and sound recognition, so that's math and English again, so another 1/2 hour. Making lunch, and the cleaning is home economics, so that's another 3/4 hour. Picking up his sister at school is social studies go see the school, see teachers doing their jobs, etc) and will take about 1/2 an hour, the library should take about 1/2 an hour, and that will hopefully leave us with 1/2 and hour or 45 mins to play outside before having to start supper which is more gym time and if it IS chalk that they choose to do, then it also includes art. They'll both help out with getting supper ready, so again we have home economics for about 45 mins to an hour, and we'll do some reading again, which will be another 1/2 hour of English.

Cumulatively, that is almost 8 hours of "school", even though there's only 1/2 an hour of book work. I'm not counting the nap time, as I don't think it really counts as school. But, basically, everything you do in a day *can* count as school.
April 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a 900 hour requirement. We include computer time, movie time, playing with friends, karate, curc de art. We homeschool year round which leave it to 2 hours a day for 365 plus his 3 hours a week of sports. I know he learns more then 2 hours a day. I know he reads more than that so I'm not worried about hours.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search