What curriculum do you use?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
What curriculum do you use?!?! Since we only had 7 weeks left of school before we are taking our break for the month of June I have made my own and not very strict because I am working more of de programming my kids and making it fun till they get used to having school at home so all our lessons have been around a certain topic they choose.....for the 1st week it was Jesse James and this week it is on spring......In July we will start with the A beka curriculum and a few subjects I may use my fathers world as well.

April 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We use Sonlight for everything except math. We use Math-U-See for that.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We Tried time4learning, computer based curriculum and math-u-see. We found none of those worked for us. We have not found a curiculum that has really worked for use so we peice it together best we can.

April 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We use a little bit of this and a little bit of that. For my oldest we use Switched on Schoolhouse, Math u See and lapbooks, For the 6 year old, Math u See, LOTS of lapbooks, pocket books and other ebooks,we will be using Learning Language Arts Through Literature soon and mostly just having fun while learning!
April 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
kristydietsche's Avatar Member
Hi, I made my own this year for everything. But for next year I'll be buying math curriculum for my 3rd and 4th graders. They both have very different learning styles and move at different paces in math. I'll still combine everything else though. I love making our own curriculum. It's time consuming, but I have plenty of time. LOL
April 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For my nephew at the moment we're doing a mix of Explode the Code's Ready, Set, Go series, and the Preschool/Kindergarten (whatever you want to call it) Rod and Staff books. The Rod and Staff is largely to build some significantly lacking fine motor skills, and the Explode the Code is to build his letter writing and fine motor abilities before we hit smaller lines in his Kindergarten work. Officially right now we are doing Pre-K, and will gradually move into doing Kindergarten as he finishes various things. For Kindergarten we'll be using ABeka's K5 math, Christian Liberty's Phonics, A Reason for Handwriting K, Christian Liberty's Hearts and Hands, and continuing with whatever Rod and Staff he has left, plus doing science and history along with his sister.

For my niece, we'll be using the full ABeka program and adding a manuscript penmanship book to it because her manuscript stinks, and while it is important to have nice cursive, it is even more important in this day and age to have legible printing!!. I would have suggested doing a more mix-and-match approach with her, but I have discovered her attention doesn't last long on books that are not in colour, and the books for some of the subjects that we would have chosen were not in colour, plus having started the ABeka phonics program we thought it likely was best to keep her in it until she finished the Letters and Sounds series. Anyway... long explanation.

Personally, I'm very eclectic in my methods, which is where my nephew's stuff is coming from, and why we are reading SOOOOO many different books! We currently have like 23 books out of the library, plus some that I actually OWN that we are in the process of reading!
April 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Math: Saxon

English: ABEKA

Reading: Bob Jones

Science: Bob Jones supplimented with other stuff

History: ABEKA

Spelling: Houghton-Mifflin
April 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're following the classical model of schooling (using ideas from The Well Trained Mind)

First Grader
Math-A Beka
Grammar-First Language Lessons (we'll be using Writing With Ease with this next year for second grade)
History-Story of the World Volume 1 as well as a lot of a lot 'real' books both historical and literature
Science-Kingfishers First Encyclopedia (Animal and Human Body), and we'll be starting regular nature walks and gardening soon, also a lot of 'real' books with this as well
Phonics-Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading (we're almost done, and my five year old son is reading at a 5th grade level having used this)
Spelling-Spelling Workout A and we'll be moving on to B shortly(It's great for reinforcing phonics rules)
Bible- Explorers Bible Study, Beginnings 2
Spanish- Power Glide

Preschool
We've been following the Letter of the Week which has been a lot of fun.

We also do a whole bunch of cuddling on the couch and reading.
April 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
seg79's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to seg79
when our true school yr starts we will use abeka and probably a few others inbetween. Right now through the summer we are using what we picked up from april and my FIL store....he use to own a surplus store so whatever boxes of books that were damaged, he would buy them up....so I have a partial curriculum up to 7th grade......im sure ill use those throughout the yrs too.
April 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We're still not sold 100%. We're definitely using Math-U-See for Math and we're looking at Explode the Code for phonics. Everything else will be this and that.

April 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Currently
3rd grader--
math: Math-U-See
grammar: Growing with Grammar
spelling: Building Spelling Skills (Christian Liberty Press)
handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting
Bible/geography/science: My Father's World Exploring Countries & Cultures

Kindergartener 1--
phonics: My Father's World kindergarten (already finished)
reading: BOB books

Kindergartener 2 (just started)--
phonics: Explode the Code ready, set, go

Next Year
4th grader--
english: Bob Jones English 4
spelling: Building Spelling Skills
reading: considering Bob Jones

1st grader--
phonics & english: Bob Jones 1st
reading: considering Bob Jones

Kindergartener--
continue Math-U-See and Explode the Code; add in BOB books for reading

All together--
history: Story of the World vol. 1
science: Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy
bible: daily scripture reading

I think that's everything.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
Quote:
when our true school yr starts we will use abeka and probably a few others inbetween. Right now through the summer we are using what we picked up from april and my FIL store....he use to own a surplus store so whatever boxes of books that were damaged, he would buy them up....so I have a partial curriculum up to 7th grade......im sure ill use those throughout the yrs too.[/b]

That is awesome that you got so much stuff from there!How helpful that will be!!!

April 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
seg79's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to seg79
i hope so!
April 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use an eclectic mix of what I write myself using the internet, workbooks, games, computer games/programes.
The only actual set out curriculum we use is Math-U-See. I also have Alphabet Island Phonics but we aren't using that at the moment.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search