Here's Why We School Year Round

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Tuesday night Fritz had a reaction to the scent in regular chapstick. He might not have an issue with it except with everything blooming right now it just was too much for him. That reaction was bad enough that Jamie took him to the ER at 1:30 am Tuesday night (well, Wednesday morning). Needless to say, me, Jamie, and Fritz got little sleep that night.

Yesterday we slept in and then dropped Jamie off at work on the way to the doctor with Fritz. He's now on Omnicef for his third sinus infection in that many months and Allegra for the allergies. We got home at almost 1 and ate a quick lunch and left again at 1:30 to go to Ani's Brownie meeting. We got home a bit after 4 and considering how tired I was and how late it now was we officially cancelled school for the day.

Today I slept in a little (got up earlier than yesterday though). Fritz was fussing and told me his nose and cheek are "ouch." Poor kid. Sinus infections hurt. So I've spent a lot of time this morning cuddling him and now he's finally asleep. I'm still pretty tired, but I don't take naps. It's just not something I've ever been able to do. Ani and I played Clue a couple times this morning and Cameron played Music Ace Deluxe and now Ani and Cameron are playing Zoo Tycoon. Cameron watched a Timeblazers and a show about dinosaurs this morning before Ani got up. So since Fritz has needed so much attention and I'm exhausted, I cancelled school again for today. Ani's already done all her individual work so she won't have to do that tomorrow when we do school. She went down and did that on her own without me telling her to.

So this sort of thing is precisely why we school year round. When something like this comes up it's okay to take a little break. I so need to catch up on sleep :/

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
seg79's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to seg79
im so with you! my son has missed so much school this year and it started with him having a broken arm at the beginning. in our district, if you dont have a doctors note its considered an unverified absence......even though i am his mother....they also send me notes home stating how many days hes missed....as if i dont know....he's in Kindergarten....its not like hes skipping school selling drugs.....drives me nuts.....they call DFS on you if they miss more than 12 days....i called and told them that if DFS shows up on my door theyll see a lawsuit.

I hope your little man starts to feel better soon! allergies are so terrible! i totally feel for him!!! to him
April 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OMGoodness Heather! I hope Fritz gets better soon. That's just awful for him.

I love the flexibility of schooling year round. It's definitely something we plan to do. We just seem to always have something come up and I know it would be stressful if I felt we HAD to do school too.

April 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor little Fritz! I hope he feels better soon and you all get some much needed rest!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
Poor little guy! That is exactly why we are doing it year round too! We are always having something or other come up!!!I love the flexability of it!

April 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yikes, poor Fritz! How long did the reaction last for? Hope hes feeling a little better from that now at least.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Several hours, but it got really bad when the Benadryl wore off and he refused to take more (since it was the middle of the night and he was half asleep). He had painted his face with the chapstick and that stuff is near impossible to wash all the way off so he was constantly being exposed for a bit.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Poor guy... hope he feels better soon and you get some rest.

April 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH no, poor guy!!

We school year round too and we had to take 2 weeks off for moving recently. Well now, Dh's relatives are coming to stay a while starting tomorrow, so guess we'll be taking more time off! But we've still got plenty of time to get our days in!

April 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww... poor little guy.... I hope he he's feeling better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search