When is enough, enough?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so I know a lot of this is hormonal , but I'm having a hard time getting out of that PS box. It's really hard for me to just get ETC and MUS and that be enough for Eathan's K. Some of these curriculum websites have SO many things in their K program and it just makes me feel like I won't be doing enough. When do you get comfortable and realize what exactly is enough? Does that make sense? I know he's going to learn everything eventually and I know that he's still really young. I'm just hoping that I'm not completely alone in feeling this way. I'm hoping that it's just because we're really starting with school this year with "real" curriculums so I'm just feeling those newbie jitters. I wasn't so worried about last year b/c he was only 3 turning 4. It just seems like he's going to be 5 so he's got to start learning "real" stuff. We're still going to be doing the crafts and such we do now and throw in the ETC and MUS.

There is an Abeka display that is going to be really close to me on the 23rd so Doug and I are going to go and take a look at that. Also, we're wanting to plan to go to the curriculum fair in Orlando this year. I'm really scared that if I go I'll be even more overwhelmed with all of the choices when everything I've seen so far is a little overwhelming. I just know that Eathan is constantly changing his way of learning and I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep up. How do you overcome the fear of getting or doing the wrong thing?

OK just call me a crazy, hormonal pregnant lady. I know this doesn't really seem like a big deal, but it's getting to me. I'm trying to relax and it just isn't working.

April 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Welcome to the first year jitter's..LOL.. I totally spazed with Declan at the beginning of this past year and I finally relaxed and went with the flow..get the 3 r's and let the rest just happen! We've done a lot of stuff that was not "planned" out and such it just kinda happened.. and it's worked well!
April 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
kristydietsche's Avatar Member
I understand exactly what you mean. Most days I feel like we're doing enough. like today, all we did was play in the backyard and read some books, oh and practice typing - and I was okay with that

But then there are days when I'm surfing around to different boards and I see all these people talking about ALL the stuff their kids are doing. Kinda makes me feel like I'm not doing everything I should be. We all go through that, I think. I've stopped looking on cruuiculum websites becasue it's overwhelming. I just try to remember how precious these days are. They won't be little forever.

So, no you are not alone.
April 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ditto to Alison. It takes a while to settle into what's right for you and your kids, but you will get there. Don't worry.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
seg79's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to seg79
well, the way i see it is this.....if it looks as if your kiddo is stressing out over it then thats too much....also we have to remember that they are just kids....the public schools try and grow our kids up so quick that they forget how to let our kids enjoy school adn life in general
April 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
Oh I have been there with you...the first few days of school I was so sick to my stomach stressing over if I was doing enough...and I totally lost sight of the WHOLE purpose of homeschooling them was to take it down a notch and have fun and enjoy learning! Your right he will learn it all in time.....looking at the curriculum will help tons...I cant wait to go to our convention to see all the stuff!!!

April 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well for Justin's kindergarten next year (and a little now) I'm just using Explode the Code, MUS, and (when he's ready for it) reading the BOB books. I feel like that's enough for K. The rest is learning through play and exploring the world around him.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay, Jenn! We can compare notes.

I'm so glad that I'm not alone and I'm some what normal. Doug isn't nearly as stressed about it as I am, but I guess that's a man thing. I have put off ordering and I keep putting it off. I even had a free shipping coupon and still put it off. I just want to make sure I'm picking the right stuff.

Thanks ladies! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

April 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yay, Jenn! We can compare notes.[/b]
We'll do it together!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I also want to add..that what is right for one kid, isn't necessarily going to be for another, and heck what works one month/year might not the next. I have totally changed the way I do things with Noah and wow..what a difference the last 4 months have been compared to the YEAR before.. also Declan is a totally different kind of learner than Ziah, she is the same age Declan waas when we started the HSing thing and he was reading a little by 4.5 and wanted school work..Ziah has little to no interest in such tings and is in a whole different place.. now a year ago I would have been so worried..but now..whatever..so I won't have 3 early readers ( Noah was an early reader too) but that's ok..she will eventually get there..no worries!!!
April 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Some of these curriculum websites have SO many things in their K program and it just makes me feel like I won't be doing enough.[/b]
They are simply giving out what parents want, which they want because they see the ps covering all these topics. The ps covers all those topics because some half brain in the education department thought small children needed to know how to devide how many railway carts it would take to transport 125 sheep from Kentucky to Catmando so that these children could pass a standerdized test which some other half brain decided was the only way to know if the children had learnt what the other half brain had decided was important.

There you go does that make you feel better about those topics Really don't worry about them. PS covers and recovers and triple covers stuff because 90% of those kids couldn't tell you what they covered last week because while it looks impresive it's all extreamly shallow. Do your math-U-See and the Explode the code, read some books, do some craft and just follow up whatever he is interested in and
Eathan will be getting a first class education.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Remember you have NO required Subjects. Just do as much as he wants (yes coming from me) I don't fallow my own advice. Have him put his favorite stuff in a box each week. in increments you go through and get his best stuff ready for portfolio.

The only way I have been able to keep up with Miguel is everyone help here. If you can join a home school group have fun. How I remember I'm not screwing up I remember how bad the school would handle Miguel or handling kids at all.

April 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH yeah, I totally get where you're coming from! We're doing the three R's and some bible...then I saw someone doing science so I thought I had to do that, then I saw someone doing social studies, so I thought about that. Then I saw someone had a nice art curriculum so I wanted to do that. Then there are all these workbooks, websites, print offs, and other things out there. It about made my head spin.
Good thing we only had the money and the time for the three R's and bible otherwise I'd have a boat load of stuff we'd never get to!

April 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am looking to start in the fall - and am overwhelmed by EVERYTHING - so I know what you mean. Trying to find curriculum (3rd grade) that will work best for my son when there are so many to choose from (good problem I guess though!)

Hang in there!

Forever in our hearts

April 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reading How Children Learn, buy John Holt has put a lot of perspective for me on how children don't need as much as ps pressures them into. And it really is pressure. Honestly we haven't officially started K yet, but Emily is at that level so I consider it to be where we are. The most we do is reading, MUS and whatever fun educational things I find at toy stores or educational books at thrift stores. There is so much to find. I really just go with her interests right now. There will be times where she will be doing things she HAS to do, right now isn't one of them. I just go with her lead and some direction by me, but I am not one to push either.

Don't worry, I am sure you will do fine. Course, I may freak out a little when the real school age starts, but so far, she is ahead hopefully it won't be too bad. Anyway, ditto what the other ladies said.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I've really enjoyed reading everyones responses! *takes deep breaths* I know it will all work out, it's just getting it started.

April 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am having the same problem! I'm driving myself crazy looking at things trying to decide if it's "enough" I know I just need to relax a little, but I am having such a hard time getting out of that PS way of thinking. I'm working on it though!

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”~ Anton LaVey
April 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you're working off of hormones too! We'll all be just fine. It will work itself out one way or the other.

April 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No advice, but I'm right there with you! Wondering if it's enough, too much, etc. Trying to believe all these claims that I'll figure it out eventually. Hang in there, you're not alone!
April 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When we bought stuff for Miguel last year we bought WAY to much. It turned out to be really good because so many things just did not work for him and the things that did he blew threw. It'll work out relax deep breaths.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search