My Friday

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I decided that I needed a few hours to myself yesterday. I had a haircut appointment, so I left the house a couple of hours earlier and wanted to check out some stores around the house for curriculum and stuff. We have a Teacher's Helper store and I've been wanting to check it out. I went there first and OMGosh it was EXPENSIVE! There were little workbooks in there for $15 and I've never heard of them. Although that isn't saying much. I just couldn't believe a small workbook would be so much. They had flash cards for $6-$8. The things in there were just REALLY over priced. Needless to say I was really disappointed. I was hoping it would be a good resource at my fingertips. *shrugs* I made my way to the Christian book store b/c they sell ETC and I just wanted to see and feel the books before I bought them. I wanted to price them there as well. They were almost $7 a book! It really got my blood pressure up! I mean you can get these books online and shipped to your door for less than you could go to the store and buy them. It just frustrates me the high mark up that store puts on their stuff. Anywho, I was able to look at the book and noticed right away the thumb errr um the toe. It definitely looks like a thumb to me. I think the ETC books will do just fine for Eathan, so I was thrilled that I got to hold them and look through them. Next stop was Target. I HAD to treat myself to a Decaf Caramel Frap at the Starbucks. It was DELICIOUS and I'm drooling now just thinking about it. I got a t-shirt for each of the boys and headed out of there. I got to my hair dresser and took 2" off of my hair and it was such a weight lifted. I felt like I lost 10 lbs. I really enjoyed the few hours to myself. I'm really glad I was able to check out that teacher's store and I feel MUCH better being able to feel and look through the ETC books before I order them. Don't you just love days where you actually take the time and do the little things you have been meaning to do? I feel like I got a lot accomplished. When was the last time you took some time for yourself and got some things accomplished?

April 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm glad you had a good day. I hate going out by myself. I have no one to talk to when I'm alone. I so prefer to have at least one kid with me. Even if they ignore my babbling at least the people shopping around me don't think I'm insane

And I'm glad someone else thought that toe looked like a thumb, too!

I've noticed teacher stores tend to be a bit pricey. I think I've been totally spoiled by my 10% discount at Sonlight (since I'm a core Sonlighter) and Rainbow Resource's prices.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely spoiled by online prices. I was just shocked at how overpriced that teacher store was. It kind of contradicted the name of the store. Unless they're implying they're helping you go broke.

April 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you had a fun day. I don't like shoping by myself either, lol much prefere dh or a friend to come along.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Sounds like a good day Tisha!

AND ROFL heather..I am the same way..i feel "lost" when I am out alone. I went today when Eric got home from his 2nd job.. Taejan has a cold so I snuck out without anyone since my MIL gave is $50 a kid for some clothes, I went to 3 stores and back home in like 75 minutes..it was unreal fast but I missed having at least ONE of the kids with me..I did manage to snag a ton of new clothes..mostly jammies, for them though!!!
April 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glade you had a fun day! I stay right away from teacher stores because of that even sales aren't sales. If It's not at a bookstore, wal-mart or dollar store, I buy on-line. I hate being by myself too.

April 20th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't believe I'm the only one that occasionally likes to spend a couple of hours alone shoppinig. The only shopping I like people to tag along on is clothes shopping. Everything else I'd rather go in and look at what I want to and go out.

April 20th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Well, now, after shopping for Ani's summer clothes yesterday with Ani I'm thinking doing THAT alone would be a good idea. That child is so picky!

Smaller on the Outside

April 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You're not the only one. I prefer to shop alone. I want to be able to browse around at my own pace.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad I'm not alone.

My Mom always shopped for my clothes with me at home b/c she said it was more of a pain to take me.

April 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I buy most of my kids stuff online

April 21st, 2008, 05:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess they don't get a choice then, huh?

April 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
I would have gotten her stuff on-line but she's such a weird shape I really needed her to be able to try things on. I got her 7/8 tops (though she fits any size 4 and up) and her shorts her waist is a 4/5, but she needs a minimum of 6 for the length. I'm really picky about the length of her shorts. Really I prefer the length of 7/8 shorts (and she absolutely needs 7/8 for pants - she has such long legs), but unless they are adjustable waist they just fall down. Even the 6's are pretty loose on her around the waist and she never wears a belt for long before losing it somewhere. She really is difficult to shop for.

Smaller on the Outside

April 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well kids clothes over here pretty much ah er rubbish. lol I wont use the word I was thinking off! Also I am very very picky as to modesty, no short shorts or short skirts or holter necks. I love buying American Gymboree because I can get nice stuff including bemuder length shorts and they nearly all have an ajustable waist. I just avoid the summer dresses and holter necks they do. I try not to buy elastic waisted stuff anymore because it's a waste of money they just slip of her skinny little waist, but she needs a size 6/7 pants, 6/7/8 top for length. I mainly on buy BigW/KMart for play clothes and underware now and Target for PJ's. There are a couple of online places over here I buy from, but most of my kids good clothes now comes from the States.

Gymboree does slim, regular and husky sizes. Not in everything, but in the jeans at least.

April 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a nice day I actually don't like shopping by myself either. I always take at least one of the girls or I get bored. I like having someone to talk to

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.~ Anton LaVey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search