Homeschooling with a baby?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but I know a lot (most?) of you ladies have been there and done that, so maybe you can offer suggestions...

HOW do you go about homeschooling with a baby in the house?! Amelia is four months old, and takes one good nap during the day - usually 11:30-1:30 or so. Of course, lunchtime is right in the middle of that nap, and she usually takes another around 5 - just in time for dinner. *sigh* So it seems like her naptimes are filled up with meals and any chores that HAVE to be done, that I just can't do with her in my arms or in the sling. She needs near-constant attention, so doing school (even the tiny amount we currently do) is next to impossible when she's awake.

I'm really stressing out about not getting enough done...I've been lucky to "do school" with Rachael once a week for the past few weeks. Throw a case of PPD into the mix, and I'm so stressed by the time they go to bed at night, that planning any sort of lesson for the next day pretty much flies right out the window.

I feel awful for not being on top of things, but I'm just not sure how to get there from here. Any suggestions?
April 20th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
When Fritz was her age we did school a lot with him in the sling or while he was nursing. Maybe try moving lunchtime to 11 so that's done before her nap and then you can concentrate on Rachael during Amelia's nap.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's what I would do too- do lunch while she's awake and then school once she's down for a nap. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't work out this way. When I'm lucky it does- but other times I do lunch and then school with all of them awake because I personally have found that I need that alone mommy time with all the kids down for naps at the same time. But if this wasn't possible I would enforce her nap time say, at 11 and then do school with the other two until 12 and then put the other two down then as well.

April 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My baby really doesn't nap. If he does, it's in my arms. So I do school with baby on my hip all the time. Or I put him on the floor with some toys. Those exersaucers are great when they aren't able to sit up on their own yet. Good luck, I know it's tough. Just wait til she's a toddler!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And relax!! I don't know what "school" you are doing or what state you are in, but it sounds like you are in the early stages of all of it. So, you can do a lot of reading to them while baby is up with you, going for walks, going to places, whatever you want to do. The key here is to bring the baby into your world with you rather than her dictating when you do what. What time does she get up in the morning? If she is up at 7, put her down for nap at 9. She is really little and should mold well into whatever you want her routine to be.
April 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would also move lunch to 11 and do school while she took her nap. Looking at your siggy though your eldest just turned 3? She doesn't need to do any school so relax! If she is asking then that hour from 11.30 to 12.30 is plenty long enough. And if nobody wants lunch moved then you could perhapes do some reading from 11 to 11.30 with both of them, put the baby down for her nap and have lunch, then after lunch do some kind of school or craft. An hour in one go or devided into two is heaps.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Jo! Relax! Deep breaths!

April 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When Aiden was that little I held him a lot. We did school a lot of times on the couch or he would do his math on the coffee table while I nursed him. It's very difficult and I thought it was going to be hard to... but I some how managed. Sometimes I'm not even sure how. I find Aiden a bigger challenge at almost 2. (He's a big distraction to his brothers!)
April 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rachael turned four in February, and she absolutely begs to do school. Hard to say no to that, right?

Only problem with lunch at 11 is that we're sort of late risers here...Rachael and Amelia will both sleep until 8:30, and I've *never* been a morning person, so I just kind of go with it. Which is why Amelia doesn't nap until 11-ish. I guess I could try to enforce Daddy/baby time in the evenings to do a little with Rachael then, but he really doesn't do so well with just the baby...
April 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What about daddy and Rachael time. Where he teaches her to read, by reading a bedtime story and pointing, having her help him sound out the words. While you make lunch, and Dinner she does a work book page if she likes work books. You go over it before you start cooking or something. What about computer games? Can you go to story time at the local library (they usually have crafts there)?

I'm sorry I can't be more help.

April 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Could you move lunch to after her nap then?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is partly what I posted above, I don't know if you saw it.

And if nobody wants lunch moved then you could perhapes do some reading from 11 to 11.30 with both of them, put the baby down for her nap and have lunch, then after lunch do some kind of school or craft. An hour in one go or devided into two is heaps.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search