Am I The Only One?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Am I the only one who gets terribly behind checking papers sometimes? There are times when I stay on top of it really well. Then, there are times...like now....when I can't imagine how I have gotten so far behind! I've been sitting here for over an hour trying to catch up. I don't know how teachers do it with an entire classroom full of children! It is no wonder that much of my children's things...workbook stuff...never got checked!!!

Am I the only one?
April 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just checked a 64 page workbook last night so no your not.

April 23rd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Quote:
I just checked a 64 page workbook last night so no your not.[/b]
That makes me feel better!

My kids are not going to be happy about their correction folders today!!!
April 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My kids don't do much in the way of papers. I don't have to check anything for Cameron since he does it right in front of me or with me. I check Ani's as she does them.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty big on teaching children to work very independently pretty quick, so I'm (currently) not in the room while my nephew completes his ETC page for me... we'll see how on track he stayed, lol! He did great yesterday when I left him alone for about five minutes to work on something. Actually, he seems to be quicker and less foolish about things (he likes to be silly) when I'm not in the room! But, I check his stuff as soon as he is finished. With my niece, I'm hoping I can go over things at the start of the day and send her to work on her own for the most part on the stuff, and then I will check it when she's finished everything daily, just as we did when I worked in a classroom.

And... he says he's done, and is now singing the A-B-C song, so I've gotta go!
April 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a tendency to get behind on checking Jack's work, too. The last time I had to spend some time catching up, I made the decision to try my best to check everything he does as he finishes it. So far, we've been doing good for a couple of months. He does his assignment and starts the next while I look over the one he just finished. If I find any mistakes, we go over it and he corrects it right away.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm usually in the room when ds does his papers even if he is doing them on his own. So if he has a question I answer it right there. I imagine once he gets older I'll be in the same boat you're in!

April 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Big Ol'

April 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Here's how I do it...I am usually at the table or nearby when my kids are doing bookwork. I don't get a lot done around the house when they are working because with three in different grades, as some of you know, someone always has a question or is about to start a subject that I need to teach a new concept. Ideally, when one finishes a paper, I can sit there and check it and hand it right back for them to correct. However, most often, when one finishes a paper, I am in the middle of either checking another paper or teaching another one of them. So, I have a folder that I keep my "to check" papers on one side and my "checked, corrected, and ready to be filed" papers in the other side. Then, each one of the kids has a folder with their "to correct" papers on one side and their "corrected, ready to be checked again" papers on the other side. That sounds confusing, but it really keeps everything organized.
The kids weren't too upset to see their correct folders a little fuller this morning. I think, like me, they are just ready to get everything done. We are shooting to be completely finished in three weeks!!!!!!!!!
April 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't regularly check papers. Every now and again I will look through some of their bookwork to see if they are doing everything correctly, but I don't check every paper. But they don't know which ones I will check and which ones I won't so they have to stay on their toes. I figure it is really just for practice and I can tell just by talking to them if they are learning the concept or not.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I check Miguel's stuff when he's completely done because he wont do anything if thinks he's doing it wrong. I have found grading his stuff with a highlighter is not as threatening to him, any other color is very threatening. I highlight the question that he got wrong and a question of the page that he got right. I tell him to review the highlighted ones. He seems to do okay to do okay it.

April 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I show them what to do, walk away, and then check the papers after they are done and then they correct them.

BUT I only have 2!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search