New here!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
lilmissb772's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilmissb772 Send a message via Yahoo to lilmissb772
Hi everybody! My name is Brandi, I live in Florida, and I have 4 kids. I've been homeschooling my oldest 2 for about a month now. It's pretty busy around here now that I don't have 2 gone during the day. My biggest concern is the portfolio we have to keep. The samples of work is fine since we are just working out of workbooks right now, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to put when it says that I need to keep track of what we are learning for the day. Am I seriously supposed to write today we're doing addition, today we're doing problem solving? That's what I need help with.

Brandi

April 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and

I'm Tisha!! I have an Eathan too and he'll be 5 in July. I have Garrett who is 2 and we are expecting our 3rd baby in October. I'm also in FL. It is my understanding that you just need samples of their work to put in their portfolio. I'm pretty sure that you can have a couple from each subject. You don't have to turn it in or anything. It's just in case they want to come and check up on you. Where abouts in FL are you? I'm in the middle on the west coast.

Farmer's Wife (Sorry I'm don't remember your name if you told us ) is also in FL and has doing it for a while. Hopefully she will chime in and give a better answer.

Again, We're glad to have you here.

April 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I'm Heather and have Ani, 8, Cameron, 6 1/2, Fritz, 21 months, and a baby boy will be here in a couple months. We live in northern VA. I have no idea exactly what is required for your portfolio since we don't need to do one here.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!
Do you do a yearly or weekly schedule? If you have a schedule written down somewhere, I think it can be used. We don't have to keep a portfolio here, but I save all of our yearly/weekly schedules that show where I have marked them off completed, so I will have a record of what we have covered. I would think that would be all you would need to do. However, I would think if you have work pages in there, that would tell them what you have worked on...hmmm.

Anyway, I wish I could be more help with that. I am, however, so glad to have you join us and look forward to getting to know you!!!
April 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
G'day and welcome to the board. I'm Jo with Sarah 6 1/2 and Daniel 3 1/2. From looking at what it says on Hslda it just says samples writing, worksheets or creative materials used or developed by the student. I would just put in a workpage from each subject a couple of times a week. You probably wont even have to show it anyway.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I can't help you with the Florida laws. I don't have to keep records where I am, but I usually do keep a teacher's planner and write everything we do for the day. But that is for me so I remember what I want to do all week. I also figure it would be handy if anyone ever did check up on me.
Anyway, Welcome to the group!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Farmer's Wife here (IRL Tammy). I have been homeschooling in FL for about 8 years, I guess. Keeping the portfolio is very simple. All you really need to do is show progress. Begin by keeping a few samples of writing or math or art. Then add to it when something special comes along. You don't have to keep every piece of paper. Put the kids' name and date on the back to establish progress. A very important component is a book list. Keep a list of every book read by/to your child. I keep mine for each kid on a simple word document with books read/curriculum used/field trips attended/extra curricular activities participated in. And when I say field trip, I mean going to the zoo, a movie, a play, a museum, whatever. Then, when you go to your evaluation, you bring your list and your samples of work. My evaluator looks at the stuff with the kid and asks what they enjoyed most this past year and that's about it.

Where in FL are you? We are up near Tallahassee. It would help if you joined in with a local group. Mostly to get information on evaluators in your area, activities that might interest you, etc. To find something near you, go to FPEA.com. They have a list of support networks throughout Florida. But ask around, too, because my group is not acknowledged by FPEA even though we have 250 members and are the best thing to happen to HSing in N FL in 10 years!

HSing in FL is very simple and easy to do. Since it is April, I am guessing you pulled your two kids out of school? Did you submit your letter of intent? If you have any trouble or need clarification or help in anyway, please let me know. If I don't know the answer, I know someone in my group will. We are that good.
April 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi and

I'm Tisha!! I have an Eathan too and he'll be 5 in July. I have Garrett who is 2 and we are expecting our 3rd baby in October. I'm also in FL. It is my understanding that you just need samples of their work to put in their portfolio. I'm pretty sure that you can have a couple from each subject. You don't have to turn it in or anything. It's just in case they want to come and check up on you. Where abouts in FL are you? I'm in the middle on the west coast.

Farmer's Wife (Sorry I'm don't remember your name if you told us ) is also in FL and has doing it for a while. Hopefully she will chime in and give a better answer.

Again, We're glad to have you here. [/b]

Don't forget, you will need to register Eathan next year (2009). I try to be helpful to my county by registering my homeschooler in the fall (Aug/Sep) when the schools are gearing up. Then we do our evaluations in the spring (usually in May) and send them in when school is wrapping up. You only have to register once in your county, then submit your evaluation each year. I strongly suggest sending all written communication "Return Receipt Requested". I keep a separate file for all correspondence with the county. You have to keep your portfolios for 2 or 3 years (I keep getting that mixed up) but I have just kept all of mine for nostalgia.
April 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi welcome. I'm Lisa I home school my 5 year old son in Ohio. you might just want to right what you did for each subject and some pages of it. Next year I'm typing up a check list of things I want to do and checking them off as they get done. Alison has a really good portfolio for Noah you can look here http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...owtopic=1061941 (she's not on this week)

April 27th, 2008, 09:09 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a lot of ladies here from FL now. I grew up in Pensacola.

I just wanted to welcome you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search