Well, now, this sounds scary

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It often seems like the powers that be would like all kids raised in a specific way according to specific guidelines. We can see that with the public school age creeping earlier and earlier. My parents started school at 6, I was 5, and now there is a huge push in many states, including my own, to make free public preschool available to all at age 3 or 4 and possibly making that mandatory.

Anyway, I'm reading The Great Influenza and among a background of the time period surrounding the 1918 flue epidemic (covering, briefly, about 1870s to 1930s), it says there was a White House conference on children in 1930 and the proclamation that came from that proclaimed the superiority of experts to parents in child raising because:
Quote:
it is beyond the capacity of an individual parent to train her child to fit into the intricate, interwoven, and interdependent social and economic system we have developed.[/b]

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
YIKES!
I have read several different things on the 1930 White House conference but that is the first time I've seen that specific quote.
Creepy!

April 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That IS creepy! You know this is really bothering me now. In my state there are community run preschools and my SIL uses them with her kids. They charge tuition from the parents and can use public money from the district, but they are basically considered private because they use their own curriculum, their own teachers, be they certified or non-certified, etc. There are a lot of them like this. Well, some jerk in the school board is mad at something and found an old law that said they can't use public funds if they already charge tuition from the parents and they are trying to force all of them to close. I don't believe in preschool personally and I don't like it. However, for those who choose this, they are frustrated because they are trying to monopolize it and shut them down! They did find a loop hole that will allow those who choose this to stay open, but it just made me mad! The parents who want good private owned preschools would soon going to have it taken over, if the people trying to get it win, by government run free preschools and it will no longer BE preschool, but just a younger compulsory age for school. And government run organizations always prove to stink! Its so frustrating! How long do we even get to have our kids with us before someone thinks they can knock on our door and try and take them from us? Oh, it just boils my blood!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Read "Government Nannies", they are in fact trying to come in "pre-cradle" in a lot of states. Scary stuff.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 25th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is just so sad! What a world we live in!

April 26th, 2008, 07:39 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh puleez! That is such crazy talk!

And btw, it isn't mandatory but where I live there is public preschool. And many people just think of it the same as the rest of school...of course their kids will go. I am not sure when this started exactly...but I know about 13 years ago there was no public preschool. Then there was one, but it wasn't in the elementary school. Now there is such a demand for it that there are 2 local public preschools. Two are right in the elementary schools and the other is the original one. There is also a state run preschool and a couple private preschools....these all start for children at 3 years old. And I live in a very small community, so to have so many preschools it shows that there is certainly quite a trend that preschool is when school outside the home starts.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

April 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, Sharon it seems to be the trend with every parent that they don't know what they are doing and must send their kids to formal school. Ugh! By the way, Finn is getting so big and is SO cute! Look at those chubby cheeks and pretty blue eyes!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 26th, 2008, 09:51 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yeah, Sharon it seems to be the trend with every parent that they don't know what they are doing and must send their kids to formal school. Ugh! By the way, Finn is getting so big and is SO cute! Look at those chubby cheeks and pretty blue eyes![/b]
Thank you! I love his chubby cheeks and big eyes. He is getting big much too quickly.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

April 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know there's early head start for kids under 2.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search