Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
my5girls's Avatar Super Mommy
Good afternoon everyone! My name is Tanya I am a stay at home mom to 4 girls and Pg with #5. My girls are 12,11,7 and 6months. I am having troubles with my oldest daughters school. They are an A school but they just aren't giving her the help she needs to advance. They keep throwing new stuff at her not even showing her how to do it or make sure she knows how to do it. She stayed back in 2nd grade, she has ADD and I feel is way behind. I have expressed my concern with this school many times and they keep saying give us time and it will work. Well I have given it all year and we have a meeting on Monday. I am going to tell them I am going to home school her, My husband and I have thought about this for a long time and now I think the time has come. I am going to let her finish this year and then I will start next school year.

So know, I have briefly looked at the laws, I have a friend who is homeschooling but I think her daughter does everything on line?? SO I have no Idea where to start for supplies and such, Id like to start from beginning to make sure she knows how to do it all not just keep moving on to new stuff like the school. I am also new to Florida so I don't know about libraries here or where to buy supplies.

I am so happy to now that justmommies has a homeschooling forum!! I cant wait to learn as well with my daughter!
Thanks for any advice!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
April 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I am Heather and have 3 7/9 kids. Ani is 8, Cameron is 6 1/2, Fritz is 21 months, and the baby is due in about 6 weeks. I don't know about FL laws and things, but we have a couple members in FL and I am sure they'll be glad to help you out there. As for what to use, there are TONS of options out there. Are you looking for something secular or religious?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I am not sure what secular is but I'm not looking for religious stuff.

April 27th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Secular means not religious stuff. I have been homeschooling in FL for many years. It is a great HS state. To start, you will have to withdraw her from the school. Then, before Sep 1, send a "Letter of Intent" to your superintendent that says "We are homeschooling this child" with her name, address, DOB and both of the parents sign it. Send it "return receipt" and keep copies. Then the rest is up to you. There is an online school called flvs.com. It has a variety of classes to choose from. I haven't done this yet, but those who have, have liked it. There is also a statewide parent's organization calle FPEA (FPEA.com). The annual convention is coming up over Memorial Day. I don't usually recommend this for newbies because it is so overwhelming, but your daughter is older and you need some homeschool education for yourself. There are tons of vendors selling tons of stuff. There are great speakers who cover a variety of topics, some selling stuff, some just edifying you because they care. If you go to the FPEA site, you will find info on the convention and also can find local homeschool support networks. That will be your very best source of information. If there is anything else you want to know, please ask. I tend to get really wordy and I am not sure if I am answering the question or giving too much at once. I am up near Tallahassee. Isn't Pasco the Tampa area? Where are you from before? I have girls 12,9,7 and boys 5,3,9 mos.
April 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Secular means not religious stuff. I have been homeschooling in FL for many years. It is a great HS state. To start, you will have to withdraw her from the school. Then, before Sep 1, send a "Letter of Intent" to your superintendent that says "We are homeschooling this child" with her name, address, DOB and both of the parents sign it. Send it "return receipt" and keep copies. Then the rest is up to you. There is an online school called flvs.com. It has a variety of classes to choose from. I haven't done this yet, but those who have, have liked it. There is also a statewide parent's organization calle FPEA (FPEA.com). The annual convention is coming up over Memorial Day. I don't usually recommend this for newbies because it is so overwhelming, but your daughter is older and you need some homeschool education for yourself. There are tons of vendors selling tons of stuff. There are great speakers who cover a variety of topics, some selling stuff, some just edifying you because they care. If you go to the FPEA site, you will find info on the convention and also can find local homeschool support networks. That will be your very best source of information. If there is anything else you want to know, please ask. I tend to get really wordy and I am not sure if I am answering the question or giving too much at once. I am up near Tallahassee. Isn't Pasco the Tampa area? Where are you from before? I have girls 12,9,7 and boys 5,3,9 mos.[/b]
Thanks for your help!!

I will def. check out the sites! Yes I am in the Tampa area. Wow your 4th was a boy I hope this one is a boy

Thanks again!!

April 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck and seriously, I am here if you need me! I hope your baby is a boy! Mine have been so much fun!
April 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
You want secular I honestly wouldn't worry about curriculum for the rest of this year. Don't your schools finish at the end of May anyway (that's when my nieces in Orlando get out at least)? I'd pull her out and let her decompress from being in school for so many years and start with actual homeschooling in the fall. That'll give you time to look at curriculum options and figure out what type of stuff would work for her (literature based, unit studies, classical, typical school model, etc. - there are so many options!).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome to the board.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I am Jessica, mom to Emily age 4 and Lindsey 15 months! Hope to get to know you!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The Mosi has Homeschool classes for science, tell mosi your a homschooler if I remember correctly there's a discount. There is a huge homeschool group in tampa I can see if I can find the number. The zoo also has a zoo keeping training program. Most of the curriculum have tests that can show where to start even if she scores low it's a start.

http://www.geocities.com/tampahs/index.html
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/homeschooling...la/Secular.html
http://www.educationallearninggames.com/

I would just brows around at your leisure.

April 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't stress...you can do this! Anything you do will be better than what she has been getting. I would figure out where she is in each subject and then begin from there. What do you feel she needs the most help in?

April 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm Robin. I have 5 kids and I'm homeschooling my 12, 9, and 5 yr olds (with the 2 yr old and the baby along for the ride.) Welcome to the board.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I'm Tisha! I'm in FL also! I have Eathan, 4 1/2 and Garrett, 2. We have a little one on the way to get here in October.

I'm glad you joined us here!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search