Wanting to home school...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck with your decision and your last year of schooling. Depending on your state, it may be as simple as enrolling online. You can go to HSLDA.com and find out the laws in your state.

There are moms here who were homeschooled and are now homeschooling their own kids. Talk to your parents about it and send your mom here if she needs more convincing that it is a viable and successful way to educate!
April 28th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DH was homeschooled all the way through but he didn't do it online so I can't help you there! I would suggest checking the laws to see what all you would have to do in order to homeschool first. It could be more trouble than its worth just for your last year, but maybe not!
I think*, and don't quote me on this, that Alpha Omega has Switched on schoolhouse for high school and maybe bob jones too? But Bob Jones has a religious bent so keep that in mind too.

April 29th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I was homeschooled, but not on-line. The internet wasn't at all like it is now back in the early 90s! I don't homeschool my kids on-line either. Some states have virtual schools that you could check into. Alternatively you could just go to college since it's your last year (and many of them, particularly community colleges, have on-line classes).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was homeschooled for K-12 and chose to use Christian Liberty Academy School System as my choice for highschool, which is a correspondence, not online, highschool option. I really enjoyed it! ABeka, Bob Jones, and a few others have that sort of option, but they're all Christian, so I'm not sure if you're looking for Christian school or not. I have many friends who have used the ABeka options that are available, and they really enjoyed (or are still enjoying) the program with them.

April 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have had some great advice...

Welcome to this spot of JM and let us know what you decide! Congrat's on your baby! Hope everything on the baby front is going well.

May 1st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My MIL uses this for her DD still at home: http://www.k12.com/ Depending on your state, you can get it free, and MIL REALLY likes it. I don't use it, plus my state doesn't offer it free. I'd have to pay for it if I wanted it, but not sure how much since I haven't looked into it. She says they send you all the materials, and supply you with a computer (at least for the free states b/c it's part of their public school system, but done at home.) If you click on the "enroll now" it'll show a list of states that get it free. That may be a good option for you.
May 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello and welcome!
I'm not familiar with any of the online programs, but it looks like you have been given some great links!
I hope you find a program that you are happy with. I look forward to getting to know you!
May 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was homeschooled all the way from 3rd grade through high school. I also didn't do it on-line. My younger siblings just took their ACT and GED and went to college at ages 15 and 16. It might be something to look into. A lot of high school is a waste of time and the same stuff can be done in college without all the drama.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
have you looked into Connections academy? I think it is connectionsacademy.com they are in about 13 states now. If you go to their website they tell you which states they cover.

Good luck!

Forever in our hearts

May 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't get the baby thing. Congratulations. I wish you every happiness and blessing. I am so proud of you for taking care of your baby this way! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.
May 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to say congratulations!

May 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations and welcome!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search