Co-op'ing homeschooling families

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am planning on starting homeschooling in the fall - and have found a local co-op that I went to visit today and it looks to be a good fit for us. Of course after I left I thought of a million questions that I didnt ask - so I thought of asking on here. I remember in a previous post that some of you do co-op.

Anyways - this co-op meets on Fridays. They have 3 - 10 week sessions and this is what they offer. You can take 1 class or take a full day - which would be 5 classes - whatever works best for each family. At 3rd grade level they offer - science, art, english, sign language, math, computer keyboarding, music appreciation and a PE class. It costs only $50.00 a session total no matter how many classes you take - with the exception of art where more supplies are needed. I love that each class has a max. of 8 students - and it is a really laid back atmosphere -

Since my son has been in private school since K, I think he will miss the socialization - so maybe this will make the transition to homeschooling easier. (He definetely wont miss having to wait til everyone finishes assignments before he goes on in his work - as he has read 2 chapter books IN SCHOOL this week in his "free time."

So - my questions - if you co-op - how often do you get together with the other participants? How do you decide what curriculum to do in order to not make co-oping "extra" work that does not fit in with what you are teaching at home. I already planned to do the same math that they do there - so that isnt a problem - basically only science and English are my concerns at this point. Any help you could give me with this would be GREAT!

Are there any downsides to co-ops?

Thanks so much!

Forever in our hearts

May 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We Co-op but ours only offers classes that wouldn't be covered at home. No core classes like English, Science, Math, etc. We do things like Home Ec/Etiquette, Book Club, Shop, Crafts, etc. We are meeting every other Wednesday from 9:30-2ish. The other weeks we are planning to do Field Trips. No meetings in Dec. though. We love it just bc we are with our friends.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We don't do co-ops. The one that would allow us to join costs between $120 and $300 per class. It's run more like a school actually.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
that much per class!!!! Holy cow!

Forever in our hearts

May 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess the big question is will there be "homework" from the co-op. If there is, then I would just do that during the week and see how that goes for the first session as you are just starting out. If you see that he wants more, go for it. He is an avid reader, so have him read extra stuff that goes along with co-op stuff. It sounds like a nice set up they have. I would simply do that at first. On the other days, go out to places or spend time doing things together that you both are interested in trying or learning more about. I wouldn't go curriculum crazy this first go around.
May 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This year we had a co-op once week. It was Spanish/Sign Language (Spanish 1st semester, SL 2nd sememster), music appreciation (learned several symphonies/composers), and art. The core subjects aren't what were offered. My kids loved it. It cost $5/month per child. This upcoming year we are hoping to offer it for free. And have classes every other week. In the week with no classes have a field trip.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 3rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Out of curiosity I checked the co-op's website for the exactly prices. Cheapest full year class is $250 and most expensive I saw was $425! The cheapest single semester class was $150. The classes meet 1-2 times a week. I have a friend with her daughter in 5 or 6 classes. I forget how many she said. That's pretty much how their homeschooling her this year (6th grade/almost 11 - they skipped her a grade at the end of last year). I guess it's cheaper than private school.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 3rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We didn't look into anymore co-ops here b/c the ones that are here are booked and hard to get in. Hopefully you'll like it!

May 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would talk to the teacher of those classes to see what they're planning. Sometimes a co-op Math (or Science, English...) class is a regular Math class but sometimes it's a class on Math Puzzles or Math Games or something like that which you might consider an enrichment class. If it's an actual core class, find out if you'll need a textbook and what will be expected,etc...

Our co-op has an occasional field trip and sometimes the kids arrange playdates with each other. I'm really happy with our co-op. It fills the gap for my kids who were used to public schools. They love it!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you thank you thank you for all of your thoughts on this!

Forever in our hearts

May 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Man, our co-op is laid back and so much fun here!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search