Science Curriculums at a third grade level

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Anyone have any that they LOVE? DISLIKE? This is so overwhelming that I need to narrow it down before I look into it......

Forever in our hearts

May 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was in third grade (my sister was in first) we LOVED to get lots of information books on science stuff, and read them and do relevant science projects/experiments. We built a full weather centre from the book "Science Is...", grew crystals and stuff, built a battery powered wire thing that made a lightbulb light up when you made the circuit complete and a number of other things. My parents just got Science Is..., four other science project books, and lots of books from the library on whatever stuff they felt would be best to work on in those early years. We also worked through a small portion of the ABeka gr. 4 book. It actually took from my grade three through the end of grade five for us to do the full ABeka book because we kept getting side tracked by the topics and activities we found to do!
May 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have really loved Bob Jones this year. I bought the teacher's manual with it, and it is so full of fun things to do!! It is from a Christian standpoint, so keep that in mind. We love it!!!
May 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We use Sonlight science. It's slow and gentle which I think is perfect at the elementary age. I really think most science learning at this age should be about exploration and discovery of their world. The kids come up with pretty impressive experiments on their own I've found.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Next year we're going to be using Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy. I'll have a 4th grader, 1st grader, & K'er. They also have Botony & Zoology 1, 2, & 3. If I had known about it sooner, I would have done Botony with my 3rd grader this year, but oh well. I think we'll do that one after Astronomy. I've read through some of the Astronomy already and I like it because it's worded to where a young learner can understand and it has activities/projects for them to try after reading a chapter, plus it's from a Christian/creationist viewpoint.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids and I really like My Pals are Here from Singapore Science. They're colorful and very readable books. The activity books that go along with them are good too. I found I had to pick and choose for some of the activities, but in all I think it's a good program for elementary level. And at $7 a book (or something like that), it's a good deal too!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search