kindergarten

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
TaraJo827's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be starting K with my son this fall (who is 5 in May)... Just a little survey, if you don't mind. biggrin.gif

What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum?

What does a good reading list look like?

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K?

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K?

What did you start with on Day 1?

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks!

May 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum?

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it?
[/b]
For "Pre-K" (more so that I could introduce how to use the pencil, scissors, glue stick, crayons, and the idea of lowercase letters) we are using the Ready, Set, Go set from Explode the Code, and the A-B-C set of seven from Rod and Staff, A, C, and D being our "Pre-K" books, B is going to continue right through for a full year, and E and F will be part of our Kindergarten stuff.

For Kindergarten we will be using Christian Liberty Press's Adventures in Phonics A, Christian Liberty's Hearts and Hands, ABeka's Numbers Skills, and A Reason for Handwriting K... along with the B, E, and F Rod and Staff stuff, and whatever science and history stuff his sister has, or we find to do along the way.

We've been working our way through a Charlotte Mason type of reading list that I found at amblesideonline.com in their Year 0 section. We've read nearly all of the books on the list (this kid absorbs books like a sponge soaks up water). We'll be starting in on the Year 1 list pretty soon, but doing only the Free Reading books rather than everything else. We've found nearly everything on the ambleside lists at our local library!

My goals for him are that he will be able to print the full alphabet lower and upper case without assistance in knowing what the letters look like, read well at a minimum of a grade two level (some of the last sentences in the phonics book he'll be doing for K include "Your teacher has _[taught]_ you many lessons." and "Mr. Hall read from the Bible to his __[daughter]__" so we should easily accomplish this), spell short vowel words well, recognize the colour words red, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, pink, white, black, and brown, understand the meanings and usages of today, tomorrow, and yesterday (no, he doesn't understand the concepts yet), and be able to count to 100, recognize numbers up to 100, and write numbers up to 100. Socially I want to be able to integrate him with one or two other children (not his sister) and see that he can actually play with someone withOUT becoming violent with them (something we're working on). Science and History are basically more just listen, observe, and participate in whatever we're doing that is relevant, so hopefully by the end of the year he will have observed and listened to enough to have a good knowledge of much of what we did.

On purpose we spend no more than 2.5 hours on book work in a week, but he insisted this week that we do no less than 2.5 hours of book work a DAY, so this week we did about 15 hours of school. Typically I let him play and do whatever he likes, because he learns a lot through playing anyway, like this morning when he learned that you have to balance the blocks properly in order to have the "house" remain standing... there's our math (calc/trig) and science (engineering) for the day though we did much more in both those areas than just that!

Day 1 I let him look at everything we were going to get to do in his books, and did one page from each of the books, and that was it. He's taken off with it since.

He was begging to learn to read and do math, so we decided to let him have some workbooks to do. He loves to do the work, but sometimes chooses not to listen to instructions. At that point I remove the book and the writing/colouring utensil from his reach, and within a minute he is right on track for the rest of the day. Our purpose in this is to make the point that doing school work is a privilege, not a chore, and most times he'll be in tears over the "loss of privilege" within 10 seconds, so it seems to make the point quite well. I'm not looking forward to the day that he tells me he doesn't feel like doing school and we actually have to fight over whether he will or not from his position that he isn't instead of my taking the "you're not doing it" position, lol. I don't think that day will come any time soon, as he currently knows that as soon as DH leaves for work we sit down and do school and is quite impatient waiting for me to get started with him! Hopefully we won't ever have that battle. Hopefully his sister isn't going to give me that battle either, when she starts homeschooling in August!!!
May 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum? No curriculum here.

What does a good reading list look like? Books on whatever interests him.

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K? None honestly. If they know the letters and their sounds. Their numbers, colors, shapes, etc they are doing well.

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K? In Kindy no set time. We read a lot. What we did only took an hour tops.

What did you start with on Day 1? Don't remember. I think we did a unit on Apples.

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it? Some days yes, some days no. In Kindy I just went with his mood and if we had and off day school was just dropped.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got my 5 yo boy his first math book. Math U See Primer. He was so happy! You can look at their stuff at mathusee.com, I think.
May 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I used a whole heap of different things and still do. board and card games, computer games, craft, workbooks I found cheaply, sheets I printed off from online, little units I made myself and books. Math-You-See and Alphabet Island Phonics were the only two curriculums I bought. We mostly went over letters, numbers up to 10, and did a little on a few countries from FIAR (see below)

I bought Five In A Row(FIAR), which I guess is another curriculum but they don't call it a curriculum lol. I bought the first teachers Manuel and the list of books that went with it. If you look up Five In A Row you can view there booklist. Sonlight also have a great booklist.

No real set goals I just hoped she finally get her alphabet sounds down, learn to recognize numbers and to introduce some new ideas.

We did about an hour, 4 days aweek and then she had dance on a Saturday for 30 minutes which I counted too.

I'm not sure as we did PreK on and off the year before, and we go year round. I probably just said it was time to start school again after a bit of a break and we probably played a game and did a craft.

Sarah has never been a child anxious for school lol. She has always thought it was too long even though she knows her friend goes to school all day. If she and her brother were playing really well outside then I wouldn't call her for school. I figure whatever is engrossing them that much is worth just as much as a few letters and numbers. I always try and have something fun, so when the "Why do I have to do this starts" I just say "You need to learn it, so lets get it finished then we will do X" Sarah is pretty easy going though, so she still does it although sometimes she can be very slow. I didn't expect more then 1 sheet to be done for K though. We are doing "first grade" now (probably still your K) and we normally do 2-3 sheets but still only 4 times a week, and now she has dance for 1 1/2 hours which I still count as day present.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
4boys
What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum? I used a mixture of things. I got some stuff from Starfall.com and I am using Explode the Code and Handwriting without Tears.

What does a good reading list look like? I got all my book ideas from Sonlight's K curriculum and Winter Promise. I love their book lists.

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K? I wanted Bailey to be able to write letters and numbers well and have noticeable improvements in his reading and writing, but that was just what I expected, not necessarily what ALL kids should accomplish by the end of K.

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K? Per day it's about half an hour, longer if we read lots. We do LOTS of reading. And Fridays are totally dedicated to crafts and projects.

What did you start with on Day 1? We started reading a novel and I got him to practice letters, if I remember correctly. That was before I got my HWT book.

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it? Bailey was super excited to start school, he wanted to do WAY more than I had planned. But that wore off after about a week. After that there have definitely been times where his attitude toward school could have shaped up. But usually if I left him to do his work on his own, or let him take a break and come back to it (or reminded him that kids in public school have to be there for HOURS ) then he was fine. I also think, looking back, that I should have incorporated more fun things into school than just book work and reading. So I plan to do those things during the summer, like letting him write words outside with sidewalk chalk, or getting him to spell using alphabet fridge magnets, etc.
May 3rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum? Ani used Calvert. Cameron used (is using I guess since he'd technically still be in K in public school) Sonlight.

What does a good reading list look like? Whatever the kid is interested in.

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K? Didn't really have any.

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K? Ani spent like 15 minutes. She worked fast. Cameron did 45 minutes a day when we were still in Core C/K. Most of that was me reading aloud.

What did you start with on Day 1? I can't remember.

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it? We don't start doing school until they ask for it so they both have taken very well to it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy

We skipped K because K's optional in or state.

What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum?Stuff from the dollar store, math-u-see, time4learning.com, star fall, games, arts and crafts, jumpstart and reader rabbit cd's, work books, printed off the internet and eventually singapore math.

What does a good reading list look like? any thing that your child does not want to put down.... Miguel cried when there were no more magic tree house (he'll be getting the newest one as a surprise soon)

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K? Umm those kinda got chucked after the first month

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K? before we found a math program that worked for him 3 hour. After 35 min required and the rest he learns all day

What did you start with on Day 1? I have no idea

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it? He had been doing school for awhile so he didn't care. He did and still does fight us on some things. We finally got a good reading, math thing going as soon as he's really comfortable with that we'll add writing. math and writing have been very difficult for him this year.

May 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum?We are going to use Explode the Code and Math-U-See

What does a good reading list look like?I like Sonlight's book list

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K?That we have FUN!

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K?35-45 min a day

What did you start with on Day 1?Don't know yet for Kindy. I dont' remember what we did first for PreK.

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it?We haven't had to deal with that so far.

May 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty much stealing Tisha's ideas. Explode the Code and Math U See. (maybe. I"m also considering Making Math Meaningful. Don't you all love how decisive I am!)

I think we have done most of the books on SL's list already so I will have to find another list. We'll also do Handwriting Without Tears and hopefully lots of arts and crafts. Ooh, now I'm getting excited about next year....

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jared--used My Father's World K and Math-U-See Primer
Justin--will use some Explode the Code, Bob Jones Phonics workbook, & Math-U-See Primer

Whatever they like. For starting out, Jared has really enjoyed reading the BOB books.

That they know the alphabet & numbers by sight and their sounds, have beginning writing skills, & basic beginning math skills.

30 minutes to an hour a day

Can't remember

Jared never gave me any problems at all. He absolutely loves school. Justin on the other hand has his days. He's just a different personality than Jared. He's very much a perfectionist & he's stubborn! Not a good combination. Plus he's left handed & I'm right handed. That makes it frustrating for him sometimes. On the days he's not in an agreeable mood, we don't do anything. At this point I'm not too concerned about it.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, scratch that. I just looked at some samples of MMM. I don't like it, so it's probably going to be MUS.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 5th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Robin, I just read your other post about maybe using MMM. I was going to tell you we tried that with Jack and hated it! We got a little more than half-way through level 1 and it STILL hadn't even introduced addition! Over half the book was working on less than/greater than. It was rediculous! MUS is a much better program IMO.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made up and pieced together my own thing for my first son. And I am using abeka with my second son in the core subjects.

Anything you want! It could even be a classic and your child can read a word here and there. Get books on what your child likes, or funny books, etc.

With both boys I wanted them to be beginning readers (know the sounds of all letters and a few "tricks"), Count to 100, understand that numbers have value, and to get a basic understanding of history, geography, and science. Hands on art was a biggie too.

With my first son we did about a month of school total that first year. He was reading and doing addition and subtraction. My youngest adores school and we atleast have 10-30ish minutes on the days we do school.

Vowels and counting with both, and some art and songs.

Nope...they knew when we would start and they did well with it. Remy started school because he begged for it.

May 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
TaraJo827's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the responses. It was actually quite helpful. It's nice to have some idea how others tend to do things, practically speaking, when you're just starting out like me. I am excited that I finally have a list of books that we will use (thanks to some of your suggestions) for my son's kindergarten. Yay! I found Sonlight's reading list really helpful, too.

Here's my list so far B) :

Handwriting Without Tears: Kindergarten Teacher's Guide - Contracted Edition

Letters and Numbers for Me

Usborne Complete First Book of Nature (First Nature)

Egermeier's Bible Story Book

MCP Math K Student Edition

Alphabet Bingo, For Ages 4 And Up

TEPT6068 Numbers Bingo, For Ages 4 And Up
Telling the Time (Usborne Farmyard Tales)

And for fun:

The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems

The House at Pooh Corner (Pooh Original Edition)

Woo hoo!! Thanks again for all the input!

May 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
What curriculum did/do you all use for K? Or did anyone make up their own curriculum? Well, I started with Scotty in pre-k stuff last year. By the end of summer, he knew all of his letters - upper and lowercase and their sounds. I didn't expect that at all. Honestly, my oldest son is super smart and I don't think he was doing what Scotty is doing now at the same age. So my "curriculum" changes with Scotty. Sometimes I have to sit down with him and get a benchmark before i head forward. For instance, I thought we should spend time on beginning consonants...found out a week ago that 99% of any word you say, he can tell you the beginning letter without missing a beat - without even thinking. So I am constantly adjusting, constantly changing things.

What does a good reading list look like? We got to the library and I let him pick. He picks based on what he likes and what catches his eye. I make sure they are appropriate for his age and level of understanding.

What were/are your big goals you hope to have met by the end of K? Gosh, I think he has already done what the ps has them doing by the end of K. I don't really have "goals," I just want him to go as far as he wants and learn at a rate that works for him - be that super fast or super slow. I want him to LOVE school!

How much time did you & your child spend per day/week on "school" in K? My state Mandates 4 hours! HAHA I guess if you count all the time he spends coloring or learning through play, sure. Today I did school with Scotty and he worked for a total of an hour and a half without even asking "are we done now?"

What did you start with on Day 1? Well, I am pretty sure we started homeschooling the day he was born, so I don't really know. I did find that when actually "trying" to start and be organized, I was kind of overwhelmed and lost at first. I started him too fast and had him writing A's before he knew the alphabet. For me, it is a matter of thinking OKAY, crawl before we walk. One he knew his letters, he learned his lowercase, then the sounds. Once he figured out beginning consonants, we learned ending consonants and now FINALLY, he "gets" how words RHYME. That was so hard for me to understand why he wasn't getting that! But DUH! Sometimes it is just drop back and punt over and over until you find what works for your child.

Did your child take to the schooling well? Or did they go through a "Why do I have to do this? I don't want to..." stage? If so, how did you deal with it? Yes. He was excited at first and then things got kind of ugly. But now, looking back, it was MY fault and NOT his. I expected too much, I wasn't teaching him the way he needed to learn, and so on. Again, drop back, punt. Now we are doing GREAT and he is sooo happy and so am I!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search