school vent

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
GRRRR! Shaun isnt being homeschooled until the fall. He is in 2nd grade. He is an A student - once in a while a B. We dont focus on grades much in the this house - we just want him to do what he is capable of doing - but he is a huge perfectionist and pushes himself to extremes.

For the past 2 weeks when he brings his work home - he has brought home 2 different math tests. One was a D and the other an F. He only missed one math problem on each test but she (teacher) took off 24 points off the first test and 38 points off the second test because he didnt put cent signs in the answers. Are you even KIDDING ME? The directions read - "find the differences" they dont say make sure you put a cent sign in your answer. So now - his grade is screwed for this marking period - and he will not make honor roll. I am writing a letter to the teacher and sending it to school on Monday as I am livid that his math grade will not show his math ability but rather his inability to what I can only think are her oral directions.

Any words of wisdom on what to include in the letter to her? I told her I wanted to know what his math average was and how ridiculous penalizing a child 2 letter grades for not labeling their work. It is taking everything in my power not to tell her off. I WAS a teacher and taught for 10 years and I would NEVER have graded following directions under the subject title "math". Is it important to follow directions - absolutely - does my son's difficulty in following directions drive me literally insane - YES - but I still find this ridiculously unfair.

Oh - and I file papers to send home so I know that she does this with the other students too. One girl failed the test because the problem said : Carla has 10 quarters. Draw the quarters. How much money does she have?
The little girl drew the 10 circles for the quarters but since she didnt write the letter Q in the circles she took off 24 points.

Another reason - as if I needed more - to look forward to home schooling.............

Forever in our hearts

May 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'd pull him out now. Be careful what you say to her since she may take it out on him. Unfortunately some teachers will act that immature.

My friend's son got Fs on some math tests in second or third grade because he didn't label his answers.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 4th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, just pull him now and then you don't have to deal with this nonsense. The Q's in the circle got me! Get him out of there.
May 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's disgusting. Xander is doing first grade work and Abeka has yet to expect him add the cent sign himself unless they state to do it. Isn't it enough that he can do the work and get the right numbers? He's understanding the operation and that's the important part at this stage of the game. I remember in the school I went to I didn't have to worry about labeling until I was well grounded in the basics. And the Q's with the quarter is just awful. I can't believe that these 'mistakes' (if that's what the teacher wants to call them) would make a grade go down that much.

I'm with the others... if you can pull him out now... do so.
May 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is really irritating. It is more of a docking of points for not "following her directions", but who is to say that she even made them that clear? Not only that, he proves he is competent in his math skills. How can a teacher make a child feel low with a failing grade for not labeling? I would take him out now as well. The year is almost done, what more could he possibly learn from that kind of teacher in a month and a half? He could end up with another test that could make him feel worthless because of something small and pointless like that. That would make me SO upset!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 4th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy

Are there specific reasons you are not wanting to pull him out yet? I would probably pull him out if it were me.

May 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is really rediculous. She's just being petty. You would think she would just make a notation on his paper to remember to mark the cent signs next time instead of docking that many points! Just to let you know, when we pulled our oldest out of public school he was in 1st grade. We were planning on letting him finish out the school year, but by the end of April we had all we could take of the school & the teachers so we pulled him out with just a month left in the school year. It was the best decision we could have made!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow.... I'm sorry you and your son are have deal with a teacher like that. I would just pull him. It sounds like all that will happen is he'll get stress, you'll get stressed and the more time you'll need to start enjoy summer vacation.

May 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
But remember...he has to know it and remember it so he doesn't pick the answer without the cents sign on the test she is teaching to.

May 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's insane, and I agree, totally unfair! I'd bring him home now too! We're actually going through that right now. . pulling out of public. I was just thinking of posting my story here in a bit! Just wanted to read through some of the other posts first.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search