Chelita...a couple questions for you

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, I know ya'll just got back from Disney so I was curious how Elijah did with his blood sugars. We're planning on going to Six Flags tomorrow, and I'm a little anxious about Jack. We haven't done anything quite like this since his diagnosis. Did all the excitement and activity affect Elijah's levels too much? What did ya'll do in order to maintain control? I have my list going of things I need to take with us, and I'm planning on calling Guest Relations at the park to discuss some things. Did ya'll need to make special arrangements with the park to be able to carry any food or drinks related to JD care? Any tips you can share with me, I'm all ears! I've gotten some great tips from the other moms on the JD board here, but I wanted to check with you as well since it's probably all still fresh in your mind from Disney.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He ran high most of the time. From the heat and excitement it didn't matter how much insulin I gave him. He could have eaten carb free and drank water and he was high! We used a lot of insulin and just said to ourselves that it was just 1 week of his life. The car ride there and back was hard too on his sugar levels.

How did it go for you guys?

May 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Do either of your kids have the pump? My best friends 5 year old just got it.. seems he runs high alll the time now.. She's getting discouraged because this was supposed to make things easier..
May 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How did it go for you guys?[/b]
Jack's blood sugar was PERFECT all day! I was shocked, to be honest. I hate to hear that Elijah was high the whole week. It can be so discouraging to know that you're doing everything "by the book" and you still get wacky numbers. I totally understand about the long car rides, though. Usually when we travel to dh's parents' house, Jack's really high the day we go and the day we come home.

Quote:
Do either of your kids have the pump? My best friends 5 year old just got it.. seems he runs high alll the time now.. She's getting discouraged because this was supposed to make things easier..[/b]
We don't pump right now. To be honest, we're a little unsure of the pump. I've heard that it's supposed to make control easier, but it just seems to be more trouble than it's worth to me. I really don't know much about it, though. If she has access to the internet, you should direct her to the JD board here at Justmommies. Most of the ladies there have kids that use the pump. They're a wealth of info, too. Give your friend a hug from me. I know how tough it can be at times.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
A friend of mine's son had a pump and they quit using it eventually because it never worked quite right. His sugars were always high and he needed to keep giving himself supplemental insulin. But then I've heard of other people who it works great for.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Highs when you first start with the pump is normal. It takes awhile to get it to a science. You get used to one thing and then it is all different.

My son says he just don't want the darn tubing in him at all times.

May 10th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Yeah, they knew. They gave it about 6 months.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search