question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
seg79's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to seg79
ok....to be honest...i suck at math...what do you do when the kids get to the part where you do suck and they need help? Do you just find someone who can help....or do most curriculum tell you how to teach it???
May 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I pass it to DH, or sit down and relearn it myself.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty good at math, and could explain it. But we use Math U See, and Rachel usually figures it out from Steve on the DVD. So, even though I CAN explain, I usually don't have to do much after she watches it. Other than that if I had probs, I'd ask DH to help or try hard to figure it out before explaining like the lady above me said. (I'm sorry, I'm still trying to learn names here!)
May 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We use Math-U-See as well and the kids watch the video and say that Mr. Demme is their teacher. I don't actually teach math and if I have to answer a question, I've watched the videos too so I can help them. With anything you don't know or understand you can get someone else's help or you can learn it right along with your kid.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And even though I suck at math, YOU need to stop saying you suck at math. I have passed my math hatred on to the girls. I really need to undo that! But if I can't do it and DH can't do it, we will find a tutor. I don't think it will get that far, though, because they don't want to do it any more than I do.
May 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If I where you try to relearn it. Look to see if your library has free homework help, there are tons of different programs you guys can try until you find the one that works best for you both. Yes a lot of books have how to teach the subject. You can also choose to have them take individual classes in an on-line program or go through a place like sylvan learning center. Also you may want to find out who among your friends and family are good at the subject so you can call and ask them questions. You also have us and the ask a teacher on JM or Yahoo Answers.

May 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Relearn... I've run into having to learn right along with my oldest and his Algebra.. it's slowly coming back to me.. I love math and was VERY good at it some 17 years ago..LOL.. but if you don't use it you really do lose it..so often we watch the DVD ( MUS again) and work together till it makes sense. One pitfall for us is that we've only been using MUS for a year and Noah came from PS so Math is going to always be his weakest subject and no program we found can totally overcome that..but we plug along. If it gets to the point I can't do it well I will find someone else to help!
May 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies. I'll relearn it or find someone who knows it.

May 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am relearning, but also use MUS because of the teacher on dvd and there is plenty of suportfrom the MUS group as well. My other option would be to pass it on to granddad who does triganometry for fun But that hasn't happend yet we are only first grade.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 8th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Trig for fun, huh? What a strange, strange man

Smaller on the Outside

May 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm definitely in the "re-learning" group. If my oldest needs help, we just work on it together. Usually he helps me figure it out.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to relearn it with my kids too. I agree that you need to stop saying you suck at math. Math is not really my strongest subject, but I don't suck at it. I said it all through growing up and even though I was homeschooled, my mom unknowingly passed that hatred on to her kids too. That she wasn't good at it and that our family is just not good at math. It's like that article I read awhile back about the fact that no one tells their kids "Hey, I don't like to read so it's no wonder that you hate it too and aren't good at letters." The same goes for math. I did start hating it when I didn't understand it in second grade and a teacher was rude and told me I was lazy and dumb. I thought I just must not be good at it. Now I see that I am not bad at it at all, I just need to learn it in a new way. I think it may have helped more if my mom would have never put those negative thoughts around math as she did, without thinking about it. So I myself have been trying to never say it is "hard" or that she isn't good at it- or that I am not good at it. In short, we will be relearning it together.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I definitely agree that not saying you suck at math is important. My friend used to homeschool her kids and when she started math with her oldest she told her that math is hard, but she'd be able to do it. Well, the kid clung to that "math is hard" idea and always struggled with math right on through to graduation. Her mom wonders if she had never told her it was hard if things would have been different.

Smaller on the Outside

May 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Trig for fun, huh? What a strange, strange man[/b]
Yes he could never understand why I never wanted to sit and do maths with him...

May 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jo I do math all the time "for fun". Everything a word problem to me to be put in algebraic form and then spit back out in sentence form. The funny thing is I don't really care for math. DH says it's a if you have a hammer everything looks like nails thing. DH has the same thing with English. It's quite funny to see how differently we approach a problem due to what our "strong" subjects are. I do math with both, he does reading and writing with Miguel and me.

May 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Lol you'd get on with my dad then! Lol I'm someone that gets glassy eyed at the mention of just doing percentages let alone anything else!

May 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, you don't suck at math!

I didn't know beyond long division and fractions were a joke with me. I was public schooled though and watching a giant hand writing out the problems while a boring and tired voice drooned on and on was not my way to learn.

I learned math for my GED and now with my son I love it. I am so good at it in ways I never was. It wasn't me, it was the way it was taught to me.

May 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
seg79's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to seg79
well, my k8ids don't know I suck at math....but the problem is....I wouldn't be relearning it....i would be learning it. I never got the hang of it in school and the teachers let me slip by.....no one ever took the time to really actually teach me.....I tried to keep my math notebooks from 11th grade but I lost them.....my 11th grade teacher was the only one who took the time to try and teach me....I got some of it, but for some reason....numbers don't make sense to me...at all....it's like being dyslexic only with numbers instead of letters....it's hard for me to explain it, but I've had the problem since grade school. I'll probably have my DH do it since hes a whiz at it. thanks ladies
May 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
You may find learning it is much easier when homeschooling than when in school. You can go at your own pace and figure it out completely.

Smaller on the Outside

May 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I was the same way. Left behind in math and I had a real issue and fear with it! You can do it! It is so different at home, learning together.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search