Homeschooling Internationally?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We may be moving, big mayber. But of all the places, The Marshall Islands, 6,000 miles away. Anyway, does anyone know what you do to register, or if you even have to in a situation like that. We aren't military so I am not sure how to handle this. Do I just register in our state? Just wondering if anyone had a clue here. I have searched HSLDA and can't find an answer bc I don't think MI is considered a US Territory. I have also done a Google Search to no avail. DH says there are Homeschoolers there so I know it can be done I was just trying to prepare myself early.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good question! Let us know what you find out. I have two friends, one in Peru and one in Kenya, who are homeschooling their American citizen children. I will write to them and ask what they know. They are both missionaries. It might help if I know why you are moving there? You said it isn't for military. Is it work or missions?
May 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
New job for DH. He would be a government contract employee.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
For the US or MI?

Will you be maintaining a home in NC? Or will you be moving there forever, until you decide to come home?
May 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
US, and no we won't be maintaining a house at home. Therein lies my dilemma. I think if we still had a NC address I could just register here but we won't be. Anyway thanks for anything you can dig up. I have been trying all night with no success.

</a>
May 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
That is a dilemma. My gut says to follow the laws where you will be. But that may be wrong. Will you be working for an embassy or consulate? I don't think I will hear back from my Kenya friend, but when my Peru friend answers, I will let you know. Will you be coming back and forth? For example, will you be coming home once every year to visit family? Can you use a family address as a permanent address?
May 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would call and ask the superintendent, maybe you can get a p.o. box and that would work. I'm still looking but I can't find anything.

maybe you can ask at this site: http://www.yokwe.net/index.php?module=pnFo...m=2&start=0

May 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
According to what I've found, the compulsory attendance age is age 6-14.

According to this article: http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2001/eap/8347.htm they do not enforce the compulsory attendance because there are not enough teachers and classrooms for the students, and up to 20 percent of elementary students don't attend.

From the looks of any legal stuff I can find, it seems you would simply just have to say either you are home educating, or simply not send your kids.

HOWEVER, I did manage to find the Marshal Islands Ministry of Education website, which while it doesn't appear to have anything addressing homeschooling, does have contact information including email, so perhaps you can get better information from them! http://www.rmimoe.net/#
May 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I was thinking of both options. Either the PO Box or using my MIL's address as our permanent address. I can't call and ask a superintendent or anyone yet bc we haven't "officially" received the job offer. Believe me I would be asking someone there if I could. Like I said I am just trying to prepare early, in the event we do go. I am wondering though if we register with the base, bc I was thinking about it and DH said if the kids were in public school they would attend the one on base, seeing as how that is the only one. It will all work out. I will have the info long before we move. I was just trying to be proactive. Thanks for all the help.

</a>
May 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow the Marshall Islands! Your moving closer to my neck of the woods! Will that make you southern hemisphere? Lol you will be turned upside down!
I am serching and not finding much at all.

I got this bit "Today, compulsory education remains as age 6 through 14 or completion of eighth grade" But you don't know yet if you will be under there laws or not. I am thinking you will probably stay under your own US state laws. I doubt a place like that even has any homeschooling laws.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 8th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm guessing that flying under the radar is how you will have to go. The US state may not care about what you are doing since you don't live there and the MI probably don't have much in the way of what to do if you homeschool and they may not care either because you will not be citizens there. Since your husband said there are homeschoolers there, have him talk to them and ask what they do.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Since your husband said there are homeschoolers there, have him talk to them and ask what they do.[/b]

I would if I could but he isn't there anymore. I will be asking them as soon as I know we are moving there and I have contact information. Flying under the radar just makes me nervous. KWIM? And yes Jo we will be in your neck of the woods. SH.

</a>
May 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
i got this reply from my fantasy fooyball board. sounds weird, but those guys know stuff.

"I have lived in the Marshall Islands for 27 years. Feel free to have your friends contact me @ bikinijack@gmail.com.

Instead of homeschooling, they might want to check out this school (it is an WASC accredited school):
http://www.majurocooperativeschool.org/

I am Commissioner of the only Fantasy Football league in the Marshalls.
our league web site: http://football40.myfantasyleague.com/2007/home/16905"

And this from my Peru friend:
"I'm not sure what the right thing to do is. A lot of countries, like Peru, don't allow homeschooling. Since we have a Florida address (the church on Mahan is our address) and still maintain Florida drivers licenses, I went ahead and registered Grace with the Florida school board (I think that's what it's called.) That's about all I've done for now. I guess I'll just eventually have to have her tested each year or every other year so I can show that she's progressing and that I'm actually homeschooling her. But really, in reality, I'm just winging it myself. I know the Bonner's home church is CC San Diego, CA and they have a Christian school in their church. Their kids are actually getting credited through them and will graduate through that school, even though they are being homeschooled here in Peru.

Sorry I'm not any more help than that.

Karen"

and one more from the fantasy football guys:
'If you are in the Marshall Islands, I suspect you can do anything you want to do. When your kids get back to the States, you can have them take an equivalence exam. If you know what state you are going back to, then you can read up on the requirements for that state.

Advance placement from Kwajalein U. is not an option."

Anyway, the point is, I think you will be ok as far as MI rules go. The key will be to know where you are going when you come back stateside so you can be prepared when you get there. Have fun! Sounds like a great opportunity for the kids, regardless!
May 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks girls. At least I can see I had the right line of thought. I really appreciate your friend giving his email as well. I will be sure to contact them when I find out something more definite. Again much appreciated.

Oh and Jo I feel like an idiot. It isn't SH it is NH, same Lattitude as El Salvador. Don't know what I was thinking when I looked at the map earlier. LOL

</a>
May 8th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Thanks girls. At least I can see I had the right line of thought. I really appreciate your friend giving his email as well. I will be sure to contact them when I find out something more definite. Again much appreciated.

Oh and Jo I feel like an idiot. It isn't SH it is NH, same Lattitude as El Salvador. Don't know what I was thinking when I looked at the map earlier. LOL[/b]
If you write to him, I am the Eunuch Maker on FBG. He won't know me as "Farmer's Wife from JM".

Good luck and have fun!
May 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh well, close!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wowzers, everyone is moving. Your move is exciting though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search