We're Back for Summer!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am not sure many of you remember us. I am Rebecca, and my sons are Bryce and Scotty. Last summer, I started homeschooling them. Bryce's dad (my oldest son) is against me homeschooling and because his elementary school is a good one (until what we are running into now which is fist fighting issues!), I am okay with that for now. Come time for Middle school, if he will still not agree to me homeschooling, then Bryce will be going to private school. I will NOT send him to middle school in this crappy town!

Scotty got a great foundation for his preschool years this summer. He went from really knowing none of his letters at the beginning of the summer to knowing all his capitals, the sounds they make, numbers to 10, and lots of other concepts like big and small, etc. Well, come fall, we decided to enroll him in a 2 day a week Christian preschool - mostly for social interaction. He LOVED it. We continued to homeschool and now he is doing WONDERFULLY. He is well beyond what "public school" kids his age know and he has really started to LOVE learning. My child who used to HATE coloring now gets out his "school books" as he calls them and wroks BY HIMSELF. I can be on the computer and he will come do school on his own. He loves it. He loves to cut and color and yesterday he spent hours writing words on his dry erase board and showing me how to sound them out. He is now doing all his alphabet - captials and lowercase letters, all the sounds, writing the alphabet, counting to 25 and his latest thing is that math! We are getting ready to order the math u see primer becuase he is begging me to teach him all about adding and subtracting. I waited on that before because he just wasn't ready, but this time, I think he is MORE THAN READY. He will be 5 at the end of September. I intend to send him back to preschool for another year in the fall - again for social reasons and the fact that he loves it and loves his friends there! Beyond that, I have no idea what we will do. I fell led to homeschool him. My husband wants him to go to grade school and be homeschooled later. We have another year to figure it out and we are just going to keep doing what we are doing. But can you imagine how bored he will be in Kindergarten when he is another year into learning and he is already ahead of what public school teaches RIGHT NOW??? He is going to be bored out of his mind, I am afraid. What I do is a lot of learner led stuff - I let him do it. Right now, he is coloring transformers and cutting them out to hang on the wall. He has no idea he is developing his fine motor skills. LOL But he is a great cutter! I am amazed at how smoothe he can do it and he cuts with both hands.

As for Bryce, we are going to work on his cursive writing and some math concepts this summer. At the end of the school year, he was getting sloppy and they are throwing geometry and pre algebra at him and I don't want him to get lost. He is a whole level ahead in his accelerated math than the rest of the class so now they are giving him random concepts to master without really "teaching" him at all. UGH! I so hate the public school system. I wish the men in my kids lives felt the same!

Hope you all don't mind us chatting with you through the summer.
May 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome back, Rebecca! It sounds like everything has been going well for you and your boys.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome back!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes...after another year he will be so past kinder. Can they not test and place him in the right class?

My husband was at a 2nd grade level by kindergarten (anyone notice how like daddy Remy is) and they moved from where he was schooled at a private church christian school. It was laid back and the children moved on at their level. Well he had to attend a public, they didn't have the money. The teacher put him in kinder because the she was like he was too young. She told the class that they didn't want a baby in the classroom. Matthew was more mature then those children! He says he didn't learn anything new for years. No other school would educate him. He had to get it from books. The kinder teacher would get on to him for finishing his work at top speed and then sitting by the bookshelf and reading. She hadn't taught him yet. He had been reading since 3 out of the newspaper.

I say all this because I can't stand for littles to be held back or pushed ahead for that matter. Your son is so smart! I would spend the year educating dear husband and showing him how advanced he really is.

May 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome back, Rebecca!! I'm sure it will all work out!

May 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Scotty is very smart - picks up very easily on anything I try to teach him; however, emotionally, I think he is still very inmature. He is the perfect child to homeschool as long as I give him other options for social time (like church and sports).

When I worked with the school system (I did AmeriCorps where I went in and tutored and then did service learning projects with specific classes), I tutored some kids in Kindergarten who didn't know their ABC's by the end of the year. In 1st grade, I was working with the kids on how to add without using their fingers and how to start with the number you have and just go up instead of counting every single one. I.e. 3+4= and 99% of the kids held up 3 fingers and 4 fingers and said "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7" instead of "4, 5, 6, 7" because they knew they already had 3 to start with. Scotty already knows this concept. (mostly because I started by teaching him that way instead of trying it the other way and then trying to change it on him). I know he is just so far ahead right now from where most of those kids are, and he has another full year before I would even consider sending him (emotionally, he is not ready for that kind of rigor. He may never be!) My dh HATED school and made bad grades all through it because he found it so boring. Scotty loves to learn and I don't want him to decide it is boring! I feel like I can do that for him, but I know he will hate public school.

Bryce is the opposite. He LOVES school and everything about it. He will do worksheets until his fingers fall off. He loves being in a class with his peers and he loves interacting and functioning in such a structured environment. I guess he takes that after me. I always loved school too. But school comes EASY to Bryce and he succeeds without even trying. He likes all the praise and awards and rewards he gets for being "smart." He likes to be the center of attention and have an audience.
May 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
In 1st grade, I was working with the kids on how to add without using their fingers and how to start with the number you have and just go up instead of counting every single one. I.e. 3+4= and 99% of the kids held up 3 fingers and 4 fingers and said "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7" instead of "4, 5, 6, 7" because they knew they already had 3 to start with. Scotty already knows this concept. (mostly because I started by teaching him that way instead of trying it the other way and then trying to change it on him).[/b]
That also has to do with maturity and simply being ready and able to see it. Sarah sometimes can do 4,5,6,7 but start on a number thats a little higher like 6 + 2 and she will go and count them all, even if I say what comes after 6 she can't get it. But we are still plodding through Primer here, we just got to lesson 14 were they start writing the numbers up to 20.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome back!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search