Need some good suggestions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I want to purchase some better stuff for Scotty this summer. Up until now, I have been just using what I had, making or printing what I didn't and using a lot of those little pre-k type books you find at walmart. Scotty has advanced past that at this point and while I am still using one Kindergarten level book, I am going to order the MUS primer because he is ready to start that. Do you all have any suggestions for reading? He is ready to start with small books but I have no idea where to get them (by small I mean the ones with just a few words on a page and easy words). Also, Tisha, I saw that you were using something with Eathan that he really liked - you used an abbreviation so I have no idea what it was. LOL I know Scotty and Eathan are close in age though, so I thought maybe Scotty might like it too. I also would love to find a pre-K level Bible curriculum. I want to teach him stories that have already been adapted to his level. We have a Children's Bible and i suppose I could just read him stories from that, but I would like something a little more involved. Maybe something with a craft afterwards or a coloring sheet. Just something to reiterate what he has just heard or read.

Just incase you need more info to suggest something, here is some pertinent info! LOL He will be 5 in september. He recognizes all lower and uppercase alphabet letters, can sound them all out, can read small words by sounding them out. He knows numbers to 25 (probably beyond since they are so easy once you get past the teens...we just haven't gone past there). He understands the concept of adding on and taking away. He likes to color. Likes to do matching type things. He is writing letters but not well and not in all cases. He is writing his name, but not straight on a line and he isn't seeming to quite get that he has to start at the top for capitals and the middle for lower case. Even when I mimic for him, he doesn't get it exactly right. We have the handwriting without tears books and he has finished it. I wasn't horribly impressed since it is all capitals! He loves to do art type things - loves to cut and paste and color. He is getting better at staying in the lines. He likes to draw and do crafts. I got a little tired of all the crafts we did last year - he got so involved with them that it was all he ever wanted to do.

Any ideas are so greatly appreciated.
May 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tisha is using Explode the Code (ETC). For reading books, Jared has really enjoyed the BOB books. You can probably do a search at Rainbow Resource or something like that. We have the first 2 sets. They sound very much like what you're looking for.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Why primer? I would bet he's ready for Alpha. In fact by your description of what he can do Alpha sounds exactly right for him.

The BOB books or Sonlight's Fun Tales sound like what you're looking for for reading. I think you're talking about Explode the Code (EtC is the abbreviation). Sounds like he'd start with book 1.

For the Bible stuff, I'd read to him out of the Children's Bible and find stuff on-line to print for him to color or I'd bet you could come up with crafts to go along with stuff in there.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to sugest Fun Tails too.

For writing I am using StartWrite which is a computer programe for making your own sheets. It comes with many different fonts. I decided to go with that over Handwriting without tears because I like a more traditional manuscript.

For Bible I simply used a childs devotional bible and some Bible story sticker books.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, I use Explode the Code with Eathan. We're going to get MUS and for Bible I'm going to start memory verses with Eathan and reading Bible stories.

May 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am going to search for explode the code. I have no idea what it is.

Heather, I am so glad you mentioned getting Alpha. I went to the website and you are right - I bet he is beyond the other book already. Whew! I would have ordered the wrong one for sure! I just had my mind on starting at the beginning. But that book only introduces the "concepts" and he is doing the actual work.

We have a children's devotional Bible as well. I am going to have to find some neat stuff to go with the stories. I am sure I can though. Of course on stuff like Noah and the Ark.

I want to do Bible with Bryce too. Not sure how to go there. He is older and needs a little more detail and Bryce is not so much a color kind of kid.
May 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ETC are phonics workbooks. There are other parts like flash cards and stuff like that. I got mine from Christianbook.com b/c it was cheaper with the free shipping. Rainbow Resource has them cheaper per book.

Have you thought about a daily devotional book for Bryce? One on his age level would be a good place to get him started. There are TONS of things at the Christian book stores so maybe you can just go and find something from there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search