Chelita- Help!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay, so I've hit the point in the Abeka math where they ask for the addition and subtraction family cards. I want to make these along with the dot cards, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
Some lessons ask for just the mothers....say what? I know that you make the twin cards (ex: 1+2=3 and 2+1=3) but what are the mothers? Then later it tells you to sing Over the Meadow verses 1-whatever. Where do you get that song?
Or, really is the song just something I can skip?

May 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a site that allows you to make and print cards. I don't use them. We did use farm animals in the beginning. I just didn't want to card him out and the animals brought real value to the numbers.

JO! What was that site that you printed the flash cards you made?

I am not sure what the mothers are. Mmmmm. I know they want you to teach the father of numbers which is counting by 10. I guess I have to admit here that I loosely follow the guides and just glance at them from time to time. Hee hee... If you read when you are doing the lessons day by day I am sure you can figure that one out at some point. But it hasn't been an issue, sorry I couldn't help more on that.

You can look up over in the meadow verses online. That is what I did. And I would draw the scene we were singing while we sang. I just brought out the white board. And then I would have him answer the number at the end.
http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/o015.html

A verse:
Over in the meadow,
In a hole in a tree
Lived an old mother bluebird
And her little birdies three
"Sing!" said the mother;
"We sing!" said the three
So they sang and were glad
In a hole in the tree

When it said and her little birdies three....I would not say three and have him look at the white board for the answer. And then I would draw music notes as they sang. Like the drawing was a live movie. Remy loved it.

May 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww, cute!
I always wondered how closely you followed the curriculum. As I can see, following it loosely hasn't harmed Remy one bit! He's so bright!
I think I will probably skip some of these things then.
DS is getting flashcarded out too, I think. I will look up the song online as you suggested. Thanks SO MUCH!

May 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Heaps of sites lol.

http://www.underfives.co.uk/wrksheet.html shapes, numbers, letters etc.
http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/activity-pages.html addition, subtraction, Bible stories, certificates and printable sheets here. lol enough to keep you busy for a year!
http://www.aplusmath.com/Flashcards/index.html maths and more maths ones here.
http://www.babybumblebee.com/company/freebies.cfm numbers, alphabet and vocabulary for littlies.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
See now, what would we do without JO! Thankyou!

Really just glance at the helps and then do what you want and then even change it up to something your kid will like. Abeka can get dry and booooring....

It was written for the classroom, I have to brighten it up and take out and add in for my two. They would just shut down otherwise.

May 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I mean, some of the drill has been good but every day it asks to count 1-100...ds is sooooooo over that! He can already do several pages worth of the worksheets with no instruction. Really I'm just holding him back. Well, since it's summer I'll lighten up a bit.

BTW, do you buy the whole kit? How much abeka stuff do you buy?

May 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is such a fun thread to be watching! While we're not doing the math yet, my nephew is probably going to hit the K5 book in August, and as I'm looking at it, I am realizing that aside from learning to write the numbers (larger ones, not 1-10) he's going to know a lot of what he will be supposed to learn, just because of what we are doing spontaneously. I'm so tempted to start him with the book now because I feel like I'm taking him beyond much of at least the first half of the K5 book, but his fine motor skills are a part of why he isn't doing it, because they are still lacking in many areas, one of them being crayon/pencil control. He's now counting to 100 by ten's, ten by two's, and we'll start five's to 100 and 2's to 20 when I don't have to help him with counting to 100 by one's, because he always forgets which ten family comes next when counting by one's. I guess that'll fix itself eventually, right? :-)

I'm not planning on doing money really until we do it in the book, though he learned that a penny is one cent because we were talking about those and then he wanted to know what a dime was, so now he knows those are ten cents... but we're not really doing anything with the coins unless he asks questions. I'm also not going to ask him to write any numbers past 10 until ABeka requests it, though I'm really hoping he will recognize numbers up to 20 before we start the book (he has 1-10 down, and some of the 11-20 group).

Am I making him too knowledgeable for the K5 book? I really don't want to have done that, because I don't want him to be bored! It's fine with me (and his mom) if he does K5 and Gr. 1 in a year (so long as he keeps his phonics up as well.. he'd do math for 8 hours a day if we let him), but I really don't want to end up having him ready to skip K5's math book because of what he knows, especially with him being only 4 1/2!
May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DS started the book with the ability to complete about half of it on his own. When we got to stuff he didn't know, then I looked at the book and started doing the lessons. I would start him on the book now. DS was 4 1/2 when I started him. We actually took a little break from it for Christmas and things so we've been going slower than we usually would.
But I would definitely NOT recommend buying everything through abeka- some things can be made like you've already seen, and other things can be skipped or changed completely to suit what you child wants to do that day. The cards I'm talking about making for about 5$ I'd have to buy for 23$ and the dot cards are 15$ new. Abeka hits the basics really well but some stuff can be pricey and the drill can really kill if you do things exactly by the TM.

May 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We'll be starting the ABeka math pretty soon, I think, though I'd really like to hold off and make a "big deal" of him being in Kindergarten, so hit all the K stuff at the same time (he has 1 more book to go before we're ready for the phonics and handwriting stuff he'll use for Kindergarten). His sister is starting Gr. 1 in August, so it seems logical to hold off on starting K until then, especially since we (DH and I) will be away for two weeks in June, and he will be away for two weeks (or more) in July, so with at least a month of sporadic breaks, it seems better to start solidly at the beginning of August. A few weeks of counting and learning to write numbers neatly isn't going to hurt him anyway, seeing as his 2's, 5's, and I'm going to guess 8's are going to need a LOT of work, and the amount of space available to write a number in the K5 book is significantly smaller than he is able to cope with right now which is a large part of why he isn't doing the K5 math just yet, because while he KNOWS the stuff, I think he would be discouraged by "not being able to do it" right now because he is rather perfectionistic. All we currently have for the math stuff is the TM (school edition because it was only 5 dollars on amazon, hehe!), and the workbook.

I'm thinking about getting the charts packet thing to make my life just slightly easier, and because I think he would like to do a lot of the stuff the TM says to do with them. That will be all we'll get, if we get them, I think. We MIGHT make some of the combination dot cards ourselves, but I'm thinking dominoes sound like a LOT more fun, especially if we can find one of the sets that goes to twelve dots to a side. Plus, dominoes can be great fun to play! We do addition (though he doesn't realize it) right now with everything from crayons, beans, carrots, and beads, to stones, sticks, and leaves, and subtraction with the same stuff. Number flash cards I'll probably buy a pack of blank index cards and write all the numbers 1-100 on them, because he loves flash card stuff for some reason (he's weird...), and then have a bunch of other index cards with the 0-9 stuff on them so he can play and make numbers, because he likes to do that stuff too. Right now we have a set of cards for letters that are flannel letters glued onto index cards, and he'll ask for them and then sit for 15 or more minutes playing with them and making sounds and tracing them and such.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search