Need some creative input

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am at a loss as to what creative thing to do to help Scotty learn the calendar. I keep thinking "okay, get in circle time and have students point to day of the .." PS box. So what I want is something fun and unique to do with Scotty. Any ideas? Links???

TIA!
May 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We sing songs. One of them is from Barney...from my daycare days. It would be hard to explain the tune, but you might be able to find an old Barney video or something with the song on it.

There are 7 days,
There are 7 days,
There are 7 days in a week.
(repeat)
Sunday, Monday
Tuesday, Wednesday
Thursday, Friday
Saturday
(repeat)

But, the favorite one is to the tune of the Adams Family theme song:

Days of the week.
*clap, clap*
Days of the week.
*clap, clap*
Days of the week, days of the week, days of the week.
*clap, clap*
There's Sunday, and there's Monday.
There's Tuesday, and there's Wednesday.
There's Thursday, and there's Friday.
And then there's Saturday.
Days of the week.
*clap, clap*

As for the calendar, I bought one of those big classroom type calendars and put it up on the wall. As we sing our song I point to the correct day. They have fun with it and they're learning.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well mine isn't very creative lol. We have a soft fold out calendar with velcro pieces on the weather, and the date. First we go outside to look at the weather, then at the calendar on the wall and change her calendar to the corect date.
This is about the only slightly creative link on this I have-
http://www.uen.org/Lessonplan/preview.cgi?LPid=10690

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
My kids make their own calendar each month... I print them from online. The older ones pretty much do it themselves, but I sit down with the little ones while they copy it and we mark special days, etc. I've found some from donna young's printables that are blank at the top- leaving room for a pictures. Then each day we mark off yesterday and find today. You can use that time for reciting days of the week or months of the year. Not very creative, but it is a quick and easy way to get in some art as well as calendar skills!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've got a chart and everything but haven't started using it yet! Wasn't sure what I was going to do either!
Love the ideas ladies! Keep em coming!

May 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Jenneve...did that come from Barney??? I totally know that song! I sing it with Scotty now. Bryce used to go aorund singing it when he was little and it stuck in my head.

I guess my ps thinking wasn't too bad then. Sounds like I need a big Calendar for the wall or something. I think that would be fun. Right now I just have a printed sheet but Scotty is NOT getting it. He keeps asking why it is May and when I said "It is Monday" he said "I thought it was May." LOL I was thinking that I needed something - maybe even to make some strips with January and then a picture representing January, Feb with a heart, March with a clover, etc. and see if he can start to "get" it by seeing the "big picture."

Thanks for the ideas Ladies!!
May 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, the first one is from Barney. I used to work in daycares about 15 years ago. We watched Barney and sang Barney songs every day! I got so sick of Barney! Now I find myself singing those "old favorites" to my kids. They really are cute songs. I just think everyone on the show must have gone to the "School of Bad Acting," as dh likes to say.

Jared (6) & Justin (5) still get confused with the months and the days. It will all come together in time. I think having the big calendar really helps. Our's also has the weather & seasons that we do as well.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

May 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I don't really teach calendar skills or days of the week. They just sort of come. Cameron heard a song somewhere that says the days of the week a year or so ago and he had them learned after that. I don't know how Ani learned the days of the week, but she did. Cameron hasn't learned calendar skills yet. Those'll come eventually. Ani learned them when she decided she wanted her very own calendar to write birthdays and things in. Very quickly she had the calendar thing down, all on her own.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I'm with Heather on this one. We work on it when he asks questions, like how far away is my birthday, etc. He is getting it all own his own but still gets slightly confused at times and he will be 7 in August. Here is a link to some really cute songs. http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/songspoems4.html

Oh, and Jenn I am pretty sure that songs predates Barney. My Mom has taught k-4 for 35+ years and I am pretty sure she has been using it just about the whole time. I know at least since I can remember and I am 31.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Barney is a thief then! I KNEW IT! LOL (I hate that purple dinosaur).
May 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
At some point every day we end up talking about what day of the week it is, and on the first day of the month (or the first day that he is here) we talk about how it is now a new month. Part of why we talk about the day of the week is because we are trying to teach him that what he calls "the day beside this day" "this day" and "the day next to this day" actually are "yesterday", "today", and "tomorrow", and so since we're working on that, he needs to also understand that each day has a name... at least for HIS method of understanding things, lol.

Most weeks go something like this... we look at the calendar and say (Monday) "Yesterday was Sunday, and on Sunday's we go to church. Today is Monday, and that is the first day of school each week. Tomorrow will be Tuesday." (Tuesday) "Yesterday was Monday, and we did school work in the morning and ___ in the afternoon. Today is Tuesday, and we will do school in the morning and ____ this afternoon. Tomorrow will be Wednesday, and we will do school in the morning, and pick up A at school and go to the library in the afternoon." We have key days that I'm trying to teach him, like Sunday and church go together, Wednesdays we pick up his sister, Fridays he has an appointment in the evening, and Saturdays he gets to stay at home and play all day. Occasionally he will ask what the date is, and then we talk about the months of the year, and what month this one is, and what month it will be next month, and then what month various people's birthdays are in, which is easy for him to remember because 50% of the people he knows (including himself) have birthdays in January, lol.
May 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Barney is a thief then! I KNEW IT! LOL (I hate that purple dinosaur).[/b]

It probably is an older song, but that's the only time I've ever heard it, so, to me, it's a Barney song.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

May 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Right now I just have a printed sheet but Scotty is NOT getting it. He keeps asking why it is May and when I said "It is Monday" he said "I thought it was May."[/b]
I really wouldn't worry about it. Months, weeks etc are very abstract ideas. It's not something a kid can touch and handle, so I would not expect a 4 or 5 year old to get it. I would think of doing calander more about exposure to the idea, but not something there going to get any time soon.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Eli, he had a calander that he would fill out in his math book from time to time. And once in a while we would sing the days of the week and months. But I didn't have a nice and fancy song, wish I HAD! But there is Remy I suppose.

The best thing we did and he had fun with was changing out the months each month on the wall and then changing out the days of the week on the wall (found this at dollar tree) and the weather. He loved it. Everyday he would run to change it.

May 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Dollar tree has some really neat teaching stuff. I will have to check it out. I want something like you are talking about Chelita.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search