Need your opinion!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Well, I am 98% sure I am not sending Scotty back to his preschool next year. Prior to wanting to homeschool, the plan was to send him back there for another year (even though he was ahead of what they teach the day he walked in the door last year!) and then send him to Kindergarten in 2009-2010. Then the plan was to send him back there for social interaction while also homeschooling him in Kindergarten level work. NOW, the new plan is to homeschool in Kindergarten (register with the LEA) and just do our homeschool groups with other kids. Of course, he goes to Sunday School too and has interactions with his brother each day, so I am not worried about him socially. I guess my only hold back on not sending him back to preschool is the worry I have that he will hate being home all the time and want to go back and see all his friends. It is only 2 days a week! I don't know. Right now, I am almost sure I will not send him back, but I could really use some feedback from other homeschool mommas on this one. What do you all think I should do?
May 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you arrange activities with friends from preschool? Meet at the park? Have them over to your house occasionally?

May 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How old is he?
DS is only 5 and he makes friends but has never shown that he hates being home. I don't think he notices a difference. However, he never did go to preschool so maybe he'd ask about it if he had. But he's been in sunday school groups before that we moved away from etc. and he hasn't said a single word about them. Every now and then he'll talk about a certain friend so we send them letters or draw them pictures but he's never said he was upset about not being there anymore. I don't know, maybe he's unusual.

May 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Not being around other kids all the time has never been a problem here either.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My honest opinion, I wouldn't bother sending him. Before homeschooling, Jack was in preschool and then public school until the end of 1st grade. He tells me constantly that he's so happy to be home all the time and not HAVE to go to school every day. Jared was in preschool all of 2 months when I took him out. He hated it and just didn't want to be there. Justin has never been in any kind of structured "school" setting, so he doesn't know the difference, but he makes sure he lets me know that he hates public school, too. So, I guess to answer your question, I've had 2 in the preschool & public school settings and neither of them miss it at all.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Thank you for sharing your story Jenn! At the beginning of the school year last year, Scotty was going to two different preschools a total of 5 days a week. At Christmas, he told me that he hated one of them and to please let him stay home, so I pulled him out of that one and left him in the other one 2 days a week. He did like going to that one, but earlier today I asked him if he wanted to go back to preschool and he said "no, I want to stay home and do school at home." I mean, HELLO MOM - can he get any more clear! LOL

Besides, I can take that $100 a month and put it to good use in Scotty's education, field trips, etc.

I think my decision is really easy and I am the one making it hard. I always question my decisions and I always regret questioning it later because 99% of the time, I was right the FIRST time! LOL
May 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
leapinlearning's Avatar Regular
Your son is so young, he probably won't miss his friends as badly as you think. Besides, he'll make new homeschooling friends. There's also no rule saying he can't visit with old school friends.

We've always homeschooled, so the transition never happened for us. I wouldn't change a thing and feel that we are closer and deal with fewer peer problems because of homeschooling.

All the best,

Cindy
May 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't send him back. You and his brother is all he needs most of the time. And you can find TONS of things to do to be social! It doesn't have to even be with other kids every time. Interaction with people will happen naturally.

May 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you are right in your original decision too. And it sounds like your son knows what he wants. My DD has never been to preschool and doesn't miss out on being with friends. In fact, in the winter I had her in ballet thinking she would like being out one hour a week and with friends. I guess it was too much like school where she didn't get to play with them the way she wanted and had to do what the teacher said because now she hates it. She is so happy it is almost over. She has told me she would rather stay home and watch a cartoon in the morning and eat breakfast. Go figure! Makes sense, why shouldn't all kids get to do that? lol It's like MIL told me, "Oh, it's so sad that all her friends will be in school when she wants to play". I didn't but wanted to say, "I KNOW, it makes me so sad that all of her friends HAVE to go to school when we are done in less time and she can just play. So sad." It seems we always get the idea that they will be deprived, but at this age, it is just not the case and they only need some friend interaction that doesn't need to be daily.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 22nd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Eathan has always been home with me and it's never been an issue. I think you're making the right choice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search