O/T New puppy help...PLEASE

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got a pup for the boys from one of Jacky's friends Friday night. Naturally I'm the one tending to her. She's absolutely adorable & I love her, but she's wearing me out! During the day she's fine, but at night she keeps me up worse than a new baby with colic! I have let her sleep with the boys, I've let her sleep with me, and then I had to put her in the bathroom because she kept us all up all night whining, biting, & pawing us wanting to play. But when I put her in the bathroom she whined...no YELPED all night because she was lonely. My opinion is she was taken from her momma too young. She just turned 6 weeks yesterday, and she's a tiny little thing. Anyway, I'm exhausted trying to figure out what to do with her at night so we can get some sleep. Any ideas? I'm planning on going to the library today to see if I can find the dog whisperer's book, and hoping I can find some good advice in there. But in the meantime....HELP! lol Thanks in advance.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

February 18th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Veteran
I remember as a child, during the night, my mom would place the puppy in a large box with some newspaper lined at the bottom. She would place a stuffed animal in the box also so that the puppy would think that it was not alone. You could even get one of those stuffed bears with the heartbeat in it so that it can soothe the puppy to sleep. It may take a few nights for the puppy to get used to this, but in the end it did work and we were able to get some sleep.
February 18th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I did put her in a basket with a fluffy pillow & blanket, but didn't think about putting a stuffed animal in with her. Thanks! I'll try that tonight.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

February 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She might not be playing enough during the day either. Have your boys take her out a really run her hard (or play her hard??). Just like kids, dogs get tired if they spend a lot of time out in the fresh air. My dog, who we got at the tender age of three weeks took a little while to settle into a sleeping routine, but we had to make sure she was playing hard for at least two hours of the day too. We also discovered that she slept best on my bed with me. We were all not too impressed, but as with a baby, if it means you sleep, you'll do just about anything, LOL. Oh, and now my dog sleeps best in a kennel, so you might try that with a towel/blanket on the bottom, as a lot of dogs need a "cave" to sleep in for some reason.
February 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I TOTALLY HAVE THE ANSWER TO THIS!!!
When we got our puppy Neko back in October, he was about six weeks old. The first night we had him, he yelped ALL NIGHT LONG like we were pulling his legs off. After that first night, I researched online and realized that at his age, he was just beginning to feel "separation anxiety", so leaving him all alone in his kennel was just going to traumatize him. I put him in his little kennel and then set it on my bedside table; that way he could see me. Then I slept so that my arm was propped up and my fingers were poking through the gate of the kennel so that he could smell me and snuggle up to my fingers. The first couple of nights were kind of rough, but it beat the HECK out of him yelping! After probably two or three nights of me sleeping with my fingers in his cage, I stopped doing that, but left him on my bedside table for another couple of weeks so that he could still see me and hear me. Then I moved him to the floor by the bed, then finally down to the end of the bed. Now he sleeps in his kennel just fine!
Hope that helps! Oh, and post pics!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

February 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
6 weeks is too young to be separated. 10-12 weeks is usually the norm. But even when a puppy is that old they usually do cry at being alone at night. You can always post on the pet board here, you'll get some good tips over there!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

February 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Last night was better. I don't have a kennel for her (I just really don't like those), so I fixed her up a laundry basket turned on it's side with a fluffy blanket to sleep on along with a clock (for the ticking sound) and a teddy bear in the bathroom. She yelped for about 5 minutes when I first put her in there (about 9pm) & then settled down and went on to sleep. The rest of the night she only started yelping when she needed to go out, about 3 times I think. Thanks for all the ideas ladies!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

February 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I have no idea! Good luck!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I second the Kennel. I didn't like them either, but then I talked with a woman who breeds cockers (Rosco is a cocker) and she was telling me how the kennel (the plastic ones) are comfy and cozy for a puppy because it feels safe all enclosed - like a "den" in the wild would be for a dog. That made perfect sense and so I got one for Rosco. He LOVED it. He nestled in each night and didn't make a peep. He slept through the night in his kennel too! He was more comfy and so were we. I put him on my side of the bed so he could see me and he would go straight to sleep/ He even got to where I would say "kennel" and he would go straight in and wait for me to shut the door.

Now he is 3 and of course, he doesn't use the kennel anymore. He has a bed by my side of the bed now and he does great. It took me about a year to transition from the kennel (going up in size as he got bigger) the the bed, but it was a smooth transition (and he was only kenneled at night).

Try it! I promise, the dog will LIKE it and feel safe there. Cross my heart! LOL

Oh...and WE NEED PICTURES! LOL Preferably with the kiddoes involved!
February 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
We've only ever used the kennels for our dogs at night and when we're not home. JoJo, our other toy poodle, just never got to where he wouldn't poop in the house if we left him out, either at night or when we left the house! It was so strange! He would do just fine for the first three or four times, and then we'd wake up or come home and he would have pooped. He would have LOVED to sleep on our bed, but he also had a problem with throwing up periodically, and the one thing that I DIDN'T want to wake up to were doggie puking sounds at the foot of the bed in the middle of the night! He was kind of a delicate soul, poor guy, but we just trained him with treats and could say, "Jo, go in your house!" and off he'd go!
Now our dog Holly doesn't sleep in her kennel now, she just goes in there when we're not home because if we leave her out, she nibbles on tissues out of the trash can. I think it's a separation anxiety thing, but I don't know how to "train" her out of it and it doesn't seem to bother her a bit to go in her kennel. In fact, many times she can tell when we're getting ready to go and she'll just go back in there without us telling her.
Our hope is that Neko will be able to sleep on the bed with us once he's fully house trained!

February 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Ditto the kennel. It makes them feel very safe to be in one. It also really helps you to set up a routine.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey, try it with TWO little weenie puppies!

I bought a wire kennel so they could see me and I put it on my side of the bed. I snuggled them to sleep each night and then put them there and put my hand through the cage so they could lick or snuggle me. It was so much easier with them having each other than it was with Reese all by her lonesome. But this is what the puppy book said to do. I was consistent and they knew I was there. Just keep at it. We expect so much from such wee little creature babies....

I want a photo!

February 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
How is it going Jenn? Do you watch "They Dog Whisperer", or "Its Me or the Dog"? I don't even own a dog and love those two dog people.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
It's going pretty well. We've moved her back in with the boys. They were begging, and she's happier so it's working out. She still gets up to potty once or twice a night, but she's still young so I expected that. At least we're all getting more sleep now anyway.

I love The Dog Whisperer. I don't watch it often because I can never remember when (or what channel) it comes on. I plan on finding the book & getting it. I've never watched It's Me or the Dog. I've seen it coming on, but never flipped over there to watch it. I may have to check that one out. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for asking.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

February 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks like she is finding her spot in the family! Hee hee!

February 27th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Looks like she is finding her spot in the family! Hee hee![/b]
Oh she has definitely found her spot. She's the little princess! She is spoiled rotten by all of us. We just love her to pieces. And it's alot easier to love her when she's not yelping all night.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

March 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
OH, It's Me or the Dog is our FAVORITE show on T.V.! Victoria Stilwell is a GENIUS with those dogs! She amazes me every single time. And she goes into enough detail on her show that I've picked up some training tricks with Neko. I ADORE HER!

March 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Veteran
So glad to hear that she is settling down and you have found things that work for her and the family. I would love to see a photo also.
March 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Quote:
I would love to see a photo also.[/b]
I posted some pics on the thread "Pics of our Katie-bug."
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic: