When will your children graduate?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: If you continue HS through high school, when will your children graduate?
15 or earlier 0 0%
16 2 14.29%
17 1 7.14%
18 or older 3 21.43%
other/don't know 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What are your thoughts on early graduation? If your child will graduate before 18, why? Birthday, started K early, skipped a grade, worked faster than usual? We're strongly considering starting Ben in K right now, but he'd graduate at 16 or earlier. We'd like him to go to a 2 year college, get a job, and learn some life skills while still at home, and then go off to a 4-year college at 18.
February 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our idea for Miguel's high school is that he'll complete the same requirements as other high school grads in our state however his finals will be clep tests or AP tests along with a trade therefor his degree will be college board certified. Due to the amounts of work required 13 test, 1 lifeguard, first aid or EMT certificate, and a trade certification. It will take him time to complete maybe more then 4 years. He just finished most of his 2nd grade. Therefore age 16 at the best. However it depends what his interests are and how he is.

Miguel officially skipped kindergarten. He'll be a third grader on Monday but is behind in some areas. I feel no need to keep him back if he's able to do the work. However I don't feel just because he'll be 7 in third grade, he'll graduate early, there are tons of experiences he can have home schooling that there's no reason for early graduation.

February 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I voted other/don't know. It's too soon to know. We could go quickly through some levels or stretch some out. They'll likely take college courses before they stop being homeschooled, too.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Quote:
I voted other/don't know. It's too soon to know. We could go quickly through some levels or stretch some out. They'll likely take college courses before they stop being homeschooled, too.[/b]

Heather said exactly what I was thinking. We don't really have a targeted age to be honest with you.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If DS kept at the same exact rate he is now, it could be a year or two earier but things change so much from year to year and like Miguels mom said, there is still so much more to learn that there really isn't a reason to graduate too early. I wouldn't worry about early graduation just yet. If he shows interest go for K and take the rest from there.

February 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't know. So many factors involved and my kids are still too young. I was in college full time at 16. I am fine with my children graduating early if they are ready.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

February 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea! We will see when we get there.

February 27th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
Duncan will probably graduate at 18 (if he does a grade a year) and Corbin and Katie will probably graduate at 17. I'm going to start them a year earlier in K
February 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM
TaraJo827's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no clue. I would probably just have them "graduate" at the usual age (17-18), but if we have time left over senior year or something, we will just fill that in with more electives and deeper studies in areas of interest or potential careers. Why not, right?

February 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
There are so many factors between now and then that could change. If my kids were to do a year at a time and graduate based on what grade they would be in at ps at any given time, then they would both graduate at 17. However, like I said, that can and may change. I am not just saying "okay done" if they fill the high school requirements by the time they are 15. We will do college courses and other stuff. Suffice it to say, they will not be out on their own with a highschool diploma before 17.
February 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran
I'm thinking dd will be around 18 when she is finished. My plan is for her to take dual enrollment classes at the community college for some of her high school classes so she can start earning college credit as well. This will help give her a head start for college while still having her under our roof, but also make it easier to enroll in the college after hs graduation. It is much cheaper to do dual enrollment too, at least here.

So while she will be in high school that long, she will also be in college

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
February 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
16 is normal school leaving age for the comprehensives here. At that point he can transfer to tech which would be most similiar to American 2 year colleges, join the army, or take an apprenticeship. The other option would be to continue at a grammar school for another year to prepare for university, assuming we still have grammar schools ( The whole system is up in the air now) and he was able to pass addmission tests, which are extremely difficult. Many families mortgage their homes to pay private tutors in the hopes thier children may pass the 11+ (current test for school placement) and get into one of these schools, but most from here dont make it., and assuming they do, they are really odd man out being from a very different background then all their school mates. Obviously, I'm not thrilled with the idea, but by the time my boys reach their teens any choices along those lines will be their decisions, not mine.
February 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Xander at least will be 16 when he graduates. Lucas and Aiden might not be that young. It all depends on how things go. We pretty much feel how Chrystal feels. Let them get some 'real life' experience before sending them off to a four year university.
February 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As all the others said, so many things can change between now & then, but if they continue to progress at their current rate, they will all be the typical 17-18.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

March 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, Broxi that sounds like a crazy system!

My oldest will probably graduate early if he stays home for high school. But right now the plan is the kids will go to school for the h.s. years. At least the ones who want to. If any really want to stay home, then they will do that.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its not a crazy system, its a very effecctive mechanism to maintain seperation of social classes. Just i am not a great supporter of keeping the social classes seperate

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search