Time4 learning

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2009, 06:15 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am considering this programme after reading about here. Who uses it and what do you think of it?
Does anyone else know of anything similar?
How useful do you think it would be for learning to read, and is the reading programme phonics?
Reading iss our main issue at the moment, and writing which will take awhile as he doesnt hold the pencil right yet and isnt even colouring. He seems to have a fair concept of maths for his age, but of course cant do written problems until he can write!
February 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My friend used it when she homeschooled. She liked it but didn't love it and felt some of it was below the grade level they said it was. That was a couple years ago, though, so it may be better now. It did not help her son learn to read (he was second-ish grade at that point and the public school the year before didn't teach him either - she taught him phonics the old fashioned way).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Candicemomof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like it, I use it alot. But I do use supplemental material with it.

Candice mom of 4

February 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am considering this programme after reading about here. Who uses it and what do you think of it?[/b]
I have mixed feelings about it. For Miguel he was not able to pick up the math concepts but still was able to trick the tests so we dropped it. We picked it up last month as a reviewer for his up coming tests. I have to say I like it better but we're not using it as a main tool. He was able to complete 2nd grade in a month and He enjoyed the lessons enough to watch them again after he completed them. Though he took the chapter tests first to see what he mastered. It could be used as a full but light program, 3rd grade they expect 28 assignments a week. Honestly depending how much your child likes the computer it's fairly easy to finish a year every 2-3 months.

I don't know how well it is for learning to read but they use phonics through 2nd grade. I know it is good at teaching reading speed and inflection. Something I was confused how to teach. It's a mixture of both phonics and sight words. They do not focus on writing until grade 4 but they do have little story creators at the end of each chapter. You could require them ti type a sentence in the space provided on the story creator.

Things I really like: It's easy to track grade, time used, What they did that day, that week, the month or even several months. They have Science and social studies at young ages. Each subject can be moved up as they complete it So if a kids struggling in reading but way ahead in science or math it's fine.

I do believe It's under grade level for some states but I can't be certain. I consider it under grade level to me it's more steps then grades. I would honestly suggest trying it for a month and really exploring it because they're very good at canceling it within a day or two if you ask.

Quote:
Does anyone else know of anything similar?[/b]
k-12 has private school but I feel it's was to expensive but may com in handy later. there's also linkonlearning

February 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I actually just signed both Declan and Ziah up. We are only 7.5 weeks from finishing up our full school year and will do light stuff thru the nicer weather months..I am trying this as a way to hit on certain points without them feeling so much like we did school all summer.
February 28th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Thank you for your replies. We live in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and reading here is completley sight reading until age 7 or 8 but they do expect quite alot of them very young. I have found the average grade requirements actually higher then they would be in the states, in spite of the fact that kindergarten starts at 3. I have known children at 9 or 10 studying upfor 11+ who would attend school all day plus perhaps 4 hours a day homework and study with another 4-8 a day on the weekends. Its one or two years where they absolutely have no childhood.
Of course there is a huge gap between what is expected and what is actually done. In areas like ours, as mentioned , only 1 boy in 4 will be able to pass basic literacy tests at age 16. At least 1 in 4 is diagnosed ADHD and parents pressured to medicate, sometimes being told their children will not be allowed to attend school without drugs. I think alot of 4 year olds are just not ready to spend an entire day sitting at a desk.
At any rate he hasnt attendedthe equivalent of kindergarten here so would start any programme behind, I wouldnt be able to start him at the 1st grade level as he can not read and write yet. Of course i am also assuming the social studies parts of this would be American based, so we would only be looking at for maths and english, primarily english. On the plus side, it might be handy to show Education welfare officer here the reports which i assume make it look like a complete programme. On the other hand I dont really have to show them anything the laws a bit grey here at the moment, but you do have the right to provide a childs education "by attendence at school or otherwise", the otherwise being the opening which has allowed home ed. Its taking off in England, but quite rare here still. On the downside, I could likely buy alot more in terms of books and software with the same money.
Assuming I did give a go, he would have to start in kindergarten level, if he completes that in a short while can he just move on up to the next level? Do you feel it gives enough material and instruction for your child to be ready for the next grade after completing?
Thanks for your time
February 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
can he just move on up to the next level?[/b]
Short answer: Yes except 3rd, and 6th,

long answer: Depending the groups are 1-3, 4-6 and 7-8 so kids just click the little circle to move on to activities in the next grade. You'll have to tell them increase/ decrease through a drop box form for each subject if you want him not to have to click the circle for the next grade. Now in third grade he can not go to 4th without me notifying them because he'll be on the upper level log in. It took them less then a day to change grades for us.

Quote:
Do you feel it gives enough material and instruction for your child to be ready for the next grade after completing?[/b]
I feel he'd be able to pass the test but honestly they do the spiral method (lots of topics with little info.) which gives great jumping off points but I like in depth studies. I would consider 2-3 time4learning years as one year if it's not used as a supplement.

Average times are K takes about 50 hours, 1st 120 hours, 2nd 100 hours and 3rd 125 hours because each lesson is about 5-10 min long. I think it does well to prepare the child for the next Time4Learning level not for the next public school grade. I consider them levels not grades because whenever I plan for a year it's done in a matter of months.

At this point you may also want to look at star fall for free reading solution and http://www.aplusmath.com/Games/index.html for math.

I'll add more later

March 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Thank you so much, we spent over an hour on starfall and I think I'll try to buy the books to it as well.
I think at the moment i'll use the free stuff until sept and then possibly join the time4learning then.
March 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
your welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search