Since we're moving to Maryland...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I am hereby promoting Cameron to second grade. He'll be in third grade in the fall. Here in VA the cut-off date is September 30th. He was born October 3rd. In Maryland, the cut-off date is September 1st for this fall, but they've been moving it over the last few years. It used to be December 31st. The year Cameron turned 5, 2006, the cut-off was October 31st so in MD that's the year he would've started kindergarten in MD as opposed to the following year in VA.

I already was considering him a second grader this year for church purposes. He is the youngest in his primary class. ALL the others (except the other homeschooler) born in 2001 are second graders this year (the other homeschooler is a third grader currently). This would become an issue once they reach high school age and start religious classes each morning. You have to be in ninth grade. I was going to put Cameron in those at the same time as all the other 2001 babies.

For testing jumping through hoops purposes for the state of VA I was considering him a first grader. Gives a little wiggle room that we are completely entitled to given the cut-off date and his birthdate. In MD we won't need to test. They do portfolio reviews. Grade level is less of an issue for those.

So Cameron's now a second grader. It's fun to be a homeschooler and just be able to do that lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
February 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Candicemomof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to Maryland!! Governor O'Malley land....btw sorry for that in advance LOL.

Candice mom of 4

February 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
LOL I lived in MD for all but 5 years of my (almost) 31. Ani and Cameron were actually born there.

Smaller on the Outside

February 27th, 2009, 06:10 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
LOL... cool! Yeah our cut off is Dec 1 so Declan would only be a 1st grader,but we skipped most of K and 1st and he went to 2nd this fall..he will be 3rd at some point in the next 6 months I am sure..
February 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's great!!!!! Ohio doesn't require kindergarten. So that mean's Miguel's 6 in second.

February 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
lol Go Heather!

It is kind of strange that the cut off date is so different in different areas. Where lived when I started school the cut off date was around Nov 15. My b-day is the end of Oct. I was always the youngest in my grade, except for one girl whose b-day was in Nov. When I moved here (6th grade) I found out the cutoff date was in September. So I was a lot younger than most of the kids. But I was still the tallest in the whole grade, so I didn't look it.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

February 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Yeah, we call Scotty a kindergartener even though he is acutally half-way through most of the 1st grade work he is doing (other than math). It is just EASIER to call him that based on his age. Subject wise, though, he is totally NOT a Kindergartener. Oh well. LOL One of the MANY joys of homeschooling!
February 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
As far as the state is concerned though Declan is a 1st grader..and with them I can never change what grade he is in,but that doens't mean we have to do that level..
March 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We miss Germantown all the time. Moving anywhere close to that area?

Yay for the grade name change. And yes, we do, cause we can! Hee hee!

March 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM
No, Waldorf. Southern MD.

Really, it's hard to pin down an actual grade for either of my kids. We're almost done Core 1. That's not at all equivalent to first grade. It's just world history through the fall of Rome. Cameron's in MUS Alpha which is sort of first grade. He's reading on what here is considered an early second grade level as far as I can tell. Ani's in MUS Delta and Epsilon so that's fourth and fifth grade and she's in 2 intermediate readers which is 3rd grade level except she tests on a high school level.

But for reporting purposes, we'll keep it simple

Smaller on the Outside

March 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Yeah for reporting purposes I'd keep it simple. In fact I actuall never do a grade when I do my LOI's BUT the system automatically does one based on what they'd be if in school..sooo
March 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
It is definitely hard to "grade" kids when they homeschool. Bryce is doing some 3rd grade stuff (math, some English concepts) that he missed in ps. He is also doing some 4th grade stuff, some 5th grade stuff, and reading now on a 9th grade level. So what do I do with that? LOL I call him 4th grade and call it a day! LOL

Scotty is going to be the real mess. I hope I never have to put this kid in ps for any reason. At the rate he is going, he is going to be well ahead in academics, but he almost misses the cutoff with his birthday...had he been born one DAY later (in TN), he would have had no option but to wait until NEXT year to even start Kindergarten! Can you imagine me taking him into the ps and starting him where his birthday would have him start? As a matter of fact, if I sent him to ps next year, he would have to start in Kindergarten because the state of TN will not give credit for K unless it is an accredited program...and K is mandatory in this state. What a crock! Now, I can just see it now - taking my child who is doing 1st grade work now, easily reading at later 1st/early 2nd grade level and then putting him in a ps Kindergarten where he will what??? Learn his letters???. Oh my. I pray that is not a decision that has to be made for any reason!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search