hey all! new

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
HI there! My name is Lacey and I was hoping to join this group, I have recently decided to homeschool my 14yr old son. He is depressed and I am severly worried, also he has 5 F's and all in the main subjects. He is ADHD and is very loving child. I also have a new one at home, EEK! am I nuts??!! lol, he is 8 weeks 2days today I also have a 16yr old that will be staying in school, he is doing well there. I hope to get to know you all!

Hey ladies! I am hoping for some starting advice. I will be starting to homeshcool my 14yr old on Monday next week the 9th and I am just a tad nervous. I wanted to know if there is like a list of things I should be sure to do or get. Does anyone here home school this age? Where do I get a cheap online test to see where he lies in the subjects? What is the best way to keep a portfolio and time? I am so excited and I am praying this works! I have so not liked the publice schools all my life,and I have their support now to do homeschooling. Where should I start? this is what I have, I have a three ring binder, lots of notbooks and folders, pencils and materials for art. I have a seperate computer for him. I want to do this right. Any suggestions??

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
March 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, sorry I cant be more help to you. We officially start home ed in Sept but my son will has only just turned four, so we are looking at the beginners stuff. But I would suggest getting in touch with a local home school group, they usually have lots of ideas, and will know what requirments you need to meet.
I was involved in volunteer youth work for some time and a large number of the boys were daignosed ADHD.
I think in some cases it was an excuse not to teach them I think home ed might work really brilliantly as you can divide up the lessons and offer breaks in between, one on one help, and less distractions, plus you can tailor things to his own learning style. I wish i could tell you more on online programmes etc.. but hopefully someone with older children will be on sooon.
Does he have a special interest or hobby? if you can build around that at make your own lessons it igh help especially at first.
Best of luck to you
March 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Just wanted to say hello. My son is 3, so I'm no help either.
March 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sons 6 but maybe I can help a little. your state only requires reading, language arts, science social studies and math. If you have him journal about his day then you wont have to keep a lesson plan book.
Quote:
Where do I get a cheap online test to see where he lies in the subjects?[/b]
http://www.k12.com/ on the left side there's take placement test beware it's long. Also most programs you will use will have placement tests.
For portfolio's you can look at donna young portfolio help and there is a free online one that someone will be able to direct you to.

What type of homeschooling do you want to do? What does he like to do?

March 3rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! Deep breath. This'll be great and just the right thing for him. Yes, you can homeschool with a baby. I've done it twice. It's actually around 6 months that they get to be more trouble during school. 8 weeks is easy lol

To find where his level is, I would recommend doing the placement tests for whatever curricula you choose. While the K-12 tests are good, they are aimed at people who are using/are planning to use K-12. Every individual curriculum has a slightly different scope and sequence and their levels don't exactly match up. So, for example, what is X grade level from one company could be Y for another. Some are equal to public school, some are advanced, some are a little behind. Some, like Math-U-See and Sonlight, don't line up with a single grade level at all. So, once you've figured out what you want to use, using their placement tests or looking at what is learned in relation to what he already knows if they don't have placement tests is the best bet to get a good fit.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 3rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I don't really have anything to add, I'm not sure how much help I can be. My kids are still pretty young. But I just wanted to welcome you!

I'm Jenny by the way.
March 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I know that Alison homeschooled her son who was in highschool last year. She may be of more help there. (Alison is "Justakrazymom" on here).

Welcome! I am Rebecca and I homeschool my two sons. Bryce is 9 and in 4th grade, Scotty is 5 and in 1st grade. Bryce also has ADHD, so I do know the struggles there. We chose a long time ago not to medicate him at all, and while I am glad for our decision, it definitely can be a struggle at times. Bryce is very bright and does well in school, but behavior can be a real challenge. He is younger than your son, but if you ever want to talk about ADHD, I think I can definitely relate.

Welcome to the group!
March 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
thank you all!! You are wonderful support!
broxi- his only hobbies are computer games and PS2!! I am tryingexpand, however, he LOVES to read!!
BensMom- Hi!! I have seen you somewhere else around the boards, but I cant put my finger on it! Nice to see you!!
Miquelsmommy- I dont know what kind of homeschooling I will be doing, I didnt even know there where diffrent types! EEKS! Lol I am not sure what he would like , I am trying to ask the right questions but not even sure what those would be, any suggestions??and thanks for the links, I will be putting them in my favorites!
Butter- thanks for such great info! I am recently went to the library and they actually had the website and phone # of the local people that do homeschooling! Iwas so excited, now, I am just nervous to call. I am not even sure what to pick for him to do. I am winging it the rest of the yr, as I look around, I should find what I need for next yr. what do you think??? Is there enough for him to do to finish out the yr, he only has 250hrs left and I am sure I can do SOMETHING to fill it/ and learn somthing. I got a World War 1 book to read with him at the library, and then I thought we would start on fractions since I know he needs to work on those, as for english I am not sure what to start on, I am not real good at it myself, although I do have a couple GED books, for myself, and it has some work in those, and sience, I want to teach the human body, he is 14 and still does NOT know about womens menstral cycle, and other things that happen to HIS body during growth, I guess that would be more health huh?, I will look into bugs for him, he LOVES bugs,I am rambling!! SO SORRY! Iam so excited!!
thanks to you all!!!!!
Hi Jenny!!!
Hi Rebecca, I am sure we will have atime to chat about ADHD for sure!

March 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! I have 2 boys that are schooled at home. Elijah is 10 and Remy is 6.

We use a boxed curriculum for our core called abeka, www.abeka.com .

You can look at books for body studies and such on a lot of sites. Here are two to get you started. Your a good mama to give so much of herself for a son that needs something different. I am proud!

www.christianbook.com (look in the homeschooling section)
www.rainbowresource.com

Simply for the rest of the year you could be sure to have good books to read like the one you have from the library and a fun book to help him escape into a different world for a bit.

I would just get a basic on grade level language, someone posted such a good on that teaches through creative writing. I can't remember what it was called. This way you can see what concepts he doesn't have and which ones he does have.

For history I would pick what he was curious about.

Science get a good body study.

For math, and I am assuming that this is one of the hard subjects, I would get a basic math on his grade level and start from the beginning and if he knows it by one problem move on to the next concept. This will help fill in those gaps.

This is just advice as this is what I *think* I would do in the same situation.

Welcome, and post with us as much as you can.

March 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
thanks hun! those are some great ideas!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search