Second Language?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
When and, or more importantly, HOW do you start introducing a second language? Here the second language in the white community (for lack of a better phrase) here is Afrikaans. We don't speak it at home, but I do have Afrikaans family. Duncan wants to learn to speak the language, and we'll have Afrikaans as a subject next year (Gr2).

Do any of you have experience with introducing a new language to 7 or 8 year olds?
March 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We have German family so we are trying to teach our kids German and will be starting Latin next year. Right now we just speak it at home whenever possible and also use a program called Rosetta Stone.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We've done some Latin. At this age I like conversational learning (and the thought of conversational Latin makes me giggle since it's not spoken anymore). It's a lot more important for a kid to know how to ask "Where is the bathroom" than to know what a second declension noun is. We've also done some Spanish. We have Rosetta Stone and I know a little bit of Spanish myself. We have a lot of Spanish speaking people in this are which is why we went with Spanish.

For the next couple years we're going to do an introduction to lots of languages. Just light, conversational stuff. We're going to start with Romanian because it's very close to Latin and they already know some Latin and because my sister, BIL, and my nephew, are living in Romania right now and are rapidly becoming fluent in Romanian. We talk to them sometimes on Skype so they can even try out some of their Romanian skills with their cousin in a live voice chat.

Ultimately, though, my idea with introducing them to several languages now is so that when they "need" to have a foreign language they can make an educated decision as to what they want to learn in depth. Plus if/when we go to Europe they'll be able to ask for that all-important bathroom.

Oh, Ani and Cameron have also been taught some things in Farsi by our next door neighbors. They are Muslim and from one of those Middle Eastern countries (Iran, I think, but I'm not sure) and speak Farsi in the home. It's really helpful for kids to be taught by other kids because they always do it just how it works best naturally it seems.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
We are doing Latin next fall. I learned French in school, but can't remember any of it now. LOL
March 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
we will eventually lwarn spanish, because more than half of our population here in your city is mexican, and then French, because my husband is from Canada, and alot of canadians speak french, and finally whatever language Phillinos speak, because my husband is half philipino, and his mother is total.

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
March 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Veteran
We will probably do spanish as it is the most common and useful where we are (and the only other language that I know a little of), but we may also do German as my dh has some german in his family. We will wait to do anything formal until high school so we can use the credit, but we do a little here and there now, just for fun

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
March 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He's learning Spanish as DH's family talks mainly Spanish. They know English very well but usually slip into Spanish mid sentence. I want him to know at least 4 languages well by college.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search