Homeschooling from Birth

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Veteran
We are homeschooling our daughter from birth. She is currently 14 months old and we are working on colors and body parts. She knows about half of her alphabet, which she learned incidentally.

I have heard that there are curricula for teaching children this young to read. Does anybody know where to refer?

Thanks to MommaTrish for the Siggy!

March 6th, 2009, 04:07 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I've not personally heard of any curricula aimed specifically at teaching kids to read at that young of an age, although there might be someone else on here who has!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

March 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Domans reading ws developed for severly brain damaged adults but can be used with flash cards to teach babies to read. I am not personally a big fan of this. My brother was able to dutifully read cars with this at 2. he read books at 6 which was late for our family. I strongly prefer less rushed approach, letting children develop at their own pace. But here are a couple of links:
http://www.yourbabycanread.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Teach-Yo...6346461&sr=8-1

http://ezinearticles.com/?Domans-Met...Read&id=134771

but i would also strongly reccomend "Anything School Can Do you can do better" which advocates early learning, but at a childs own pace in natural setting rather then drills and lessons for young children. The author follows montessori techniques but applied to the home with simple grace and common sense.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anything-Sch.../dp/0006369316

and thishttp://www.amazon.com/Genius-Play-Celebrating-Spirit-Childhood/dp/1903458048
March 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
All the early learn to read curricula are sight word based and I do NOT recommend them. She's learning naturally. Keep on doing what you are doing. It's called being a mother No school about it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
with Heather!
March 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Veteran
I guess it must depend on the environment you're in. In some places I have seen this kind of thing *really* advocated. I didn't realize that it was based on flash cards though. I prefer phonics. We'll have to start that when she's a bit older, though I will continue to read to her. That's how DH and I learned to read before we were three.

She's already learning some of her alphabet (she knows ABCDE and she knows WXYZ) just from toys and us singing together. She is learning her body parts and has a lot of fun with that, too. She knows the color red as well, mostly because it is her favorite and she is learning how to make marks with a crayon on a piece of paper.

I'm quite proud of her She's talking really well for her age too. She uses full sentences in her own language that we can't understand, and gets so frustrated when we don't know what she's saying! LOL

Thanks to MommaTrish for the Siggy!

March 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Truly, it sounds like you are doing a fabulous job and should keep right on doing it

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 6th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy

March 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM
If read up on Maria Montessori, many of the children learned to read about four. One of Maire Mullarneys was much earlier then that. It is phonics, and Montesssori, the children learning to with sandpaper letters etc...its really brilliant.
But I also love steiner ideas, learning through play and so on. You'd be surprised how much they pick up just being read to and so on.
One way I've found great for the alphabet is to make your own alphabet books with things of interest to your child. We have to make a new one soon as Billy's is quite dated, but he has B for Billy, C for car D for daddy with picturs of each.
good luck
March 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Last edited by broxi3781; March 6th, 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: sorry duplicate post
March 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
sorry

Last edited by broxi3781; March 6th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: duplicate again
March 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There are some idea books that I have used with success that you may try. I certainly recommend Montessori activities. My kids love love love them! And my daughter at 18 months responds quite well although she's obviously not understanding everything. She just likes to play and make a mess! LOL

Try Slow and Steady get me ready- that book has one activity a week that you can do with your tot from birth to age 5. And they are basically games you play and and other low key things that kids that age love to do! My kids love it!

March 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There are some idea books that I have used with success that you may try. I certainly recommend Montessori activities. My kids love love love them! And my daughter at 18 months responds quite well although she's obviously not understanding everything. She just likes to play and make a mess! LOL

Try Slow and Steady get me ready- that book has one activity a week that you can do with your tot from birth to age 5. And they are basically games you play and and other low key things that kids that age love to do! My kids love it!

March 7th, 2009, 04:47 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Becki this is funny having you over on a homeschooling board

I'm a big believer in a better late then early approach. Not totally with everything the Mores have said, but more leaning that way.

It wasn't always this way. I actually use to be a Doman fan. I bet that shocks a few people on this board I think I am known for being pretty relaxed.
I have the book Teach Your Baby to Read and did use it somewhat on Sarah. She however has always had her mind firmly set on creative type things rather then on 'academics' Now if she had gone with it I probably would have done more. But because she didn't, I dropped it.

I did more reading and changed to being pro phonics and fairly well against sight reading after reading "Why Jonny can't Read"
Another book/article I read (can't remember what it was) Was about how there are ages when certain things are best deveoped because the window mostly shuts after a certain age. Creativity is developed in the first seven years. So basically a child of seven without much creativity of thought won't develop much more after that age. This is why there are dangers in having small children produce too many 'set' crafts. Like all the kids in a class produce sheep with white cotton wool. Looks cute, goes with a curriculum theme, but is styfling creativity if this is happening with something every day. Especialy if a child is told that what they did was wrong and this is how it's done.

I do believe homeschooling starts from birth, but I see it more as facilitaing your child in the direction you see them heading. Personaly I think curriculum can wait at least until some place between 4-6 depending on the child.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search