Holy Indoor Swimming Pool Batman!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
I have had the day from heck! We did some gardening outside, it is a beautiful sunny 70degree day.

While we were cleaning up, I went to turn on my outdoor water faucet for the first time sence moving in. No water came out the faucet...but I heard water. I looked under the house and water everywhere. SOMEHOW when you turn on the nozzle outside, it sprays under the house. Even the guys at homedepot are baffled by that one...

Anywho. there is an active leak (rather fast) under the house in the piping. I followed the source to under the sink. Apon looking I see a flow of water going from the pipes to the cabinet floor, and from there it seeps through the wood and then drains under the house.

SOOO, sence 4pm we have been trying to fix the leak. We have the cold water side done. We have so far learned vinyl tubing does NOT work with HOT water. It expands. Would have been a nifty science experiment. We were all excited to take a shower and then I hear the hiss of spraying water. The tubing burst. Thanks Home depot for warning us when helping find the right tubing....

I a tired, wet, cold, dirty and sick of the smell of moldy kitchen sink.
Dave should be home soon with either a bottle of water or an acceptable tube for the hot water. Tune in next week....
April 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry I know how annoying and stressful unexpected house repairs can be. We just got news like that last night. We found out where the water in our kitchen is coming from it's safe to say our kitchen is not sanitary and will require 2 walls taken down, a section of cabinetry down and a new pipe. Until it's fixed our kitchen is off limits. and that's just if the outer wall is not rotted. Hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed fast.
April 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Maybe it was in the stars for pipe problems last night lol.
Ug that sucks. You never know how important running water is till you dont have it! I hope you guys get that fixed soon and no more damage then expected.
I am just annoyed because I SPECIFICALLY asked the sellers if there were any leaks (it was winter, and couldnt tell). We were told NO. LIE.

I am just glad it happened now. The cabinets are nasty anyway, so at least it started spraying before we got new ones. We have to replace the subfloor under the cabinets ASAP and the cabinets eventually. Prolly this summer.
April 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol... it sounds like your house adventures are pretty similar to ours. We've had the bathroom toilet filling thing burst it's rubber connector (and spray water *EVERYWHERE*), had the main piping break off so we had to replace that, which meant learning to solder, discovered our house is glued together using caulking rather than mudding... basically we're having to rebuild as we go around here.

Hope you are able to get it all sorted out... :-)
April 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Veteran
That sounds like us too. Though we knew the problems when we bought the place. It was so bad that we lived in the camper inside the barn for the first week and it was the middle of Dec:) So I can actually say that I've lived in a barn!!! It wouldn't have been so bad if the heater in the camper had worked. We thought that it did, but *THANKFULLY* decided to plug in a carbon monixide tester into the camper because we had never run the heater. Sure enough, the whole thing filled up with carbon monixide. So we bought a plug in oil filled heater and that did the trick (took up the whole bathroom, but worked great:).

Anyway, we still have a long way to go, and may just choose to knock down the house and rebuild, but it will be a while before we can do any of that. We do now have running water that doesn't leak into the basement anymore and heat, so all is good:)

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
April 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM
We FINALLY found the right tubing for the sink. YEAY!!! We just didnt buy enough, so Dave is out getting more. We tried it out so far and its good, so I think its over *crosses fingers*.
We have been using a gallon of spring water do drink, wash our hands/face ect. LOL.

I wanna get this over with, it is suppost to be 72 degrees today and I wanna do my gardening!!!
April 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad the pipe issue is getting fixed and ending for you. *sigh*

I am so sorry you gals have had to deal with so many exhausting house repairs.

April 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
You know you could very easily sue the sellers for the cost of this. I hate to say that, but you have not been in the house a year yet, so it was obviously that they knew about the leak. Please tell me you had a home inspection prior to buying???

I am sorry you had to deal with all that, but glad it is working now!
April 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I didnt have an inspection. We inspected it ourselves, and in the winter leaks are hard to find. They put foam insulation around the pipe to stop the leak temp. The house cost us $8900.00. We used our savings on it, and after all the closing costs, didnt have enough for a 400$ inspection.

I was telling Dave about taking them to court for the costs. I asked the sellers before making an offer if there were ANY leaks, or ANY roof leaks. They said no. Well we just replaced our whole roof 3 weeks ago because of a leak, and there was an obvious leak under the sink (We know they knew because we found they covered the rotted wood with a thin piece of plywood to hide it.

It wasnt too bad to fix the leak. 50$ for all the supplies. The roof was bad though, 3800$.

Last edited by Tropicgal10; April 17th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
April 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh that is so awful. They must have known about the problems when they sold it. I guess taking them to court will cost too though. Or would they have to pay all the costs? I sure hope so.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good grief! I'm glad you're getting it all straightened out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search