Hello

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello ladies. I've recently decided to start homeschooling my daughter and need all of the help that I can get. She's finishing up Kindergarten at the local elementary and then I'm going to get the gears in motion. She will be turning 6 in June and absolutely loves learning. It's very exciting to her and she's constantly asking us to make her more homework as well as trying to test us.

To give you a bit of a history she attended Pre-K at the local elementary at the age of 4. She finished the year at the top of her class and was doing a lot of stuff at the 2nd grade level. She began Kindergarten at that same elementary, but in November we ended up moving to a neighboring city. At this new elementary they are having a lot of trouble with bullying. She has had several things deliberately broken by other kids and a little boy punched her in the face just below her left eye. Their attempts at controlling bad behavior are pathetic at best. Their idea of punishment is denying them a cheap (often broken) toy or pen at the end of the week. Kids that behave and do get these "rewards" are usually pretty disappointed so it clearly isn't inspiration for good behavior. She has always been very excited about going to school, but the longer she's there the more she asks not to go. She still wants to learn, just not there. It's the best elementary in the district so transferring her would likely make things worse. We did check it out and in doing so it seemed great. Now seeing the way they handle things we know it was a massive front.

So anyways, I want her out of that school next year and feel that teaching her at home is the best way to go. I was homeschooled during the 8th grade, but the woman who taught me was incredibly lazy and uninvolved. She was the sort to hand you a book she didn't understand and wish you luck. Basically, I need some help from moms who know what they're doing. Under state law you have to give notice 15 days in advance which puts DD just a couple weeks from finishing the year or I would have already pulled her. Instead I'm just focusing on getting things ready for next year.

Any advice you can give would really be terrific.

April 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would send my notice for next year this summer. And spend from now until the new year researching, going to used book sales, curriculum fairs, and finding a homeschool group.

Welcome to the homeschooling board! I look forward to getting to know you.

April 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in a homeschooling group? There are several in our area.

April 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Look for groups that have the same religious views if that is going to be a big part of your schooling. If not, look for groups that offer the kinds of things you are interested in such as co-op classes, park days, get togethers, graduations, field trips etc. Every group differs in involvement. I wanted one that offered tons and boy did I find it! LOL! That's often the case, many groups offer so much that you'll find you actually have to schedule some down time for once!

Good luck! You are totally doing the right thing! I wouldn't stand for the bullying either!

April 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. I put in my first phone call to get her switched over this afternoon. I wish I'd known how lousy the school was going to turn out to be. I wouldn't have sent her to begin with!

April 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
The advice from the other ladies is great and I totally agree. Welcome to the group!!
April 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks.

April 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hi MamaAnna,
I am proud of you for making this decison. I get so SICK of people telling me that I should just send my kids to school and let them deal with whatever they are faced with. I do agree that kids need to stick up for themselves, but school shouldn't be the place for that....it should be for learning. I think that it is up to a parent to also do whatever it takes so that a child's spirit isn't broken. If I can homeschool my children in a positive setting and expose them to GOOD social activities, then I don't see how that can be anything but good. Your daughter will do so well with homeschooling I'm sure...and because she enjoys learning, you will also enjoy it.
I am in my 4th year of homeschooling. I pulled my three children out of our public school when they were in grades 4th, 2nd, and 1st. We have never regretted our decision, and my children are more social now than ever because we actually have time for other things besides school.
I used a mixed curricumlum based on what I have found to work for each child in each subject.
Welcome to the forum!
April 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Sherri, who is tell you to put them in school and force them to deal?

April 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPrincessEha View Post
Sherri, who is tell you to put them in school and force them to deal?

My dad
April 20th, 2009, 10:51 PM
That is shocking...I guess we never talked about his feelings before. HUGS! Your a good daughter to him.

April 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPrincessEha View Post
That is shocking...I guess we never talked about his feelings before. HUGS! Your a good daughter to him.
Well, this is all very new. He has always been supportive before. Vicki had a lot to do with his change of heart. Her betrayal and his disapproval has left a big hole. Things are strained right now with me and Vicki as well as with my dad and me. I hate it, but I have to concentrate on what my kids need and how Jeff feels about me as a mom. That is what is getting me through.
April 21st, 2009, 04:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy

April 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board. And welcome to homeschooling! Feel free to ask whatever questions you have here. There are a lot of wise and helpful mamas here.

(p.s. Not to start trouble, but I disagree with finding a group where everyone has the same religious views. I find the partitioning off and "sticking to your own kind" the most annoying thing about homeschooling. Diversity is a wonderful and educational thing.)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board. And welcome to homeschooling! Feel free to ask whatever questions you have here. There are a lot of wise and helpful mamas here.

(p.s. Not to start trouble, but I disagree with finding a group where everyone has the same religious views. I find the partitioning off and "sticking to your own kind" the most annoying thing about homeschooling. Diversity is a wonderful and educational thing.)

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
Sherri, I am in shock! I don't know how to feel! Call me tomorrow...I want to be here for you. I just don't understand.

April 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Welcome to the board!!
April 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Veteran
Welcome!!!!
April 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Good for you for deciding to homeschool. We had a similar issue with my son as well, loved school, loved learning and had to move. He also had the bullying which made me want to pull him. It has been the BEST choice I made for him. In 3 months time he has learned more than in the 1-1/2 yrs of public school and has found his love of learning again.

We found a homeschool group that is very diverse and it has been amazing. I looked for social opportunities when looking for our HS group and got alot more than I imagined. I attended a few HS group park days before settling into this group.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search