More Abeka Blues...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, Mattmos called them today, just now.

They tell him that they will not ship until the end of JULY! JULY! Last year it was 4 months, that would be 5-6 months this year! They offer to send old books...NO...I want the new ones...then they finally offered to sent them piece by piece as they are done. I am so done with this crap! I wish we didn't have to order at income tax...but we do. *sigh*

I will let you guys know...

April 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
OMG! 6 months for books! I would have been screaming at them on the phone.
That is unnacceptable. Those better be some **** good books.
April 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
LOL....they are...sigh...which is why I am still waiting.

We are looking at bumping up a year in order to get our books.

April 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! That is a crazy long wait! I don't know what I would do!

April 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, Chelita! That is nuts!! Why is taking so long? Are they that busy or just seriously backordered?
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you order them from someplace else? Really I would not have the patience for that!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
OMG! That is such CRAP. You said you were considering bumping up a grade to get your books...you mean like putting Eli in 5th or just buying a whole year in advance. Either way, that is just a needless hassle! 6 mos is way too long for someone to wait for their school books! What is he supposed to do until then? Oh I would be so mad! Especially since you are such a good customer!
April 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Chelita....go to other sites besides the Abeka sites. There are other sites that sell Abeka and other curriculum that aren't so backed up with orders. Ebay often has new books. I have some other sites as well if you want them. Let me know.
The end of July would not work for me and I don't even school in the summer. With you schooling in the summer, there is no way you could wait for that long!!!!
April 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
The reason for the sever back order last year and this year is because they updated the books. I happen to order when they are "ready" to give out the new books. BUT we are in that phase where we are buying each time they are doing new books. I don't want to accept the older parent kit when I have the newer child's kit here at my house. I would have to eat the cost of shipping back a heavy box (and we don't have a job) to them in order to get all old editions of everything. And there are some neat aspects of 4th grade this year that we LOVE!

Eli "should" be in 5th because that is the year he should be beginning. We are "behind" because we had people living with us and it was insane and we never had quiet time to do our work...or schedules were totally wacked out. I don't know if you all remember the hard time I had with telling our long term house guests that they couldn't move with us to the new house we had bought over 2 years ago. Schooling was our biggest reason for doing so.

Elijah has been working so wonderfully and he has been telling me that he wants more of a challenge. The problem is he gets it all and never forgets. Hee hee...

We can get 5th grade now, with free shipping in April. But we would have to ship back that 4th grade box we have already and we aren't sure how much that would be and then on top of that we would have to eat the 60 bucks in shipping they already charged us in Feb. for BOTH boxes that we will end up getting the second of in July. And so we will have to float for a week to 2 weeks the almost 200 dollars extra of the new kit until we are refunded for the old child's kit that we would send back. Is that super confusing???

Issues:
*Eli wants to do so much of the 4th grade stuff...the science and history ROCK out this year.
*History for 4th is indepth american stuff, super fun, and 5th is ancient. American history will not be looked at ...*if* we go with abeka until then...until 8th grade. And it super rocks this year.
*Eli also wants to bump up and in his words have an actual challenge this year that he must work really hard at. (Although, I don't think it will be as big a challenge as he is hoping, homeschooling makes these kids way too smart.)
*5th will be old edition by the time Remy gets there so I would reorder some things I wouldn't if we waited.
*BUT, we don't want Eli a year behind FOREVER just because abeka sucks at making sure they have orders ready with new editions for the biggest order time they have (income tax)

SOOOOOOOO, what would you do? I can say that I atleast didn't think of unemployment today!

April 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I see the dilemma... and I have NO clue what I would do either!

April 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Gosh, that is so tough! Can he do any of the student things without the teacher kit? I mean, is a lot of it self explanatory or is there a guide in the teacher kit that you can't work without? I am not familar with Abeka really, but I know I could have never taught Calvert without the TMs. I'm sorry! This really sucks!
April 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
OKAY!!!! First off, thanks to abeka for hanging in there with us and really putting forth a lot of effort to please us.

Eli has decided that he can't live without all of the 4th grade, he is okay with doing 5th grade math, but he just told us that he was looking forward to those other books.

The lady who has been working with us is going to mail everything but the TE manuals, that is 3 items in all, and then she is going to email me a quick email on when to introduce the things I was sort of floored on. So all in all...after a day on the phone...and I mean all day...we have it worked out.

It isn't ideal, but it puts us where we still wanted to be. Eli has had a good break, and he can still start up. It will require more work on my part, but just a tad more. Whew!

I will let you all know how it goes. I can teach without them for the first part of the year from looking at it. And the fact that he just understands so well is a favor on our side.

April 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
That is GREAT! I am glad you found something that will work out. I do hope Abeka decides to start their 5th grade revisions like NOW so you can get those on time!
April 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm so glad it all worked out. You didn't need that extra burden!!!
April 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm glad it worked out. Sonlight totally spoils me. I order and they ship within a couple days and it's here three or four days after that. One time they didn't ship within the 3-day time frame (my order was accidentally dropped for some reason) and they upgraded me to overnight for free (shipping is free anyway with them since I get whole cores) and I ended up actually getting my package a day earlier than if they hadn't done overnight.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Abeka needs to take some pointers from sonlight!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search