Why faith statements?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Veteran
Why are there groups that want you to sign a faith statement? Miguel's co-op meets every other week with activities through out the month. He loves it and they are really good at understanding. He's still having a problem with connecting with the other kids but besides the random clapping, and spinning he's really, really trying. There has been no meltdowns or accidents while there.

Now they all want us to join this other co-op group but it has a faith statement. They want us to be really involved but we can't sign the faith statement. I've been brushing it off but eventually I will have to tell them I can't sign because I'm not christian and I'm worried that will effect our relationship to the other homeschooling families. Any idea's
April 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Maybe you could tell them that you already have alot of activities planned and don't want to overbook anything?
April 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I probably wouldn't join a group with a faith statement unless we shared those beliefs. In my experience people can just be so harsh.

April 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I can't join any place with a faith statement because, as an LDS person, I do not quite fit the traditional wording. I once read the reason for faith statements is so that the parents don't have to worry about what their kid might hear contrary to what the people believe. In your case, I'd just say you chose not to join and leave it at that.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I know for our co-op we are up front about it being a Christian oriented group. We don't require a statement of faith, per se, bc we want to allow everyone a chance to be with us. In fact I wouldn't join one of the biggest homeschooling groups in our town bc they required a statement of faith I couldn't completely agree with. The group and I are both Christian, so it is can be an issue, even when you have the same core belief. That said, or group does however require a paper stating that no member will teach, distribute, etc anything that goes against our Christian beliefs. Like teaching a Science class that is evolution based, instead of creation based. While I personally have issue with that one I don't say anything and just let them be. They are worried about thier kids being exposed to other ideals, and esp. worried about having them presented as fact. Does that make sense? I am not as concerned as most members of the group bc my beliefs, although we attend the same church and have the same core beliefs, some of my beliefs already differ from thiers in ways. I just hold my opinions to myself, and tell Talen why I disagree with them, when needed. I don't want his faith shaken either though so I do understand their protective stance.

I always assume that most people who know the majority of the members are oriented in a certain way are either going to respect that and go with the flow, or leave though so to me it just didn't/doesn't seem like an issue.

I wonder if they would be satisified with you signing something like that. .

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Last edited by grunig; April 23rd, 2009 at 06:44 AM.
April 23rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That ^ I wouldn't have a problem with. The co-op here with the statement of faith requires you to sign saying that's how you personally believe.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I couldn't sign something if it went against my beliefs, but I could sign something saying I'm not going to force my ideas on others. I don't want others forcing their beliefs on my kids, so that's why I want to home school. Everyone should choose what their children are taught.
April 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Veteran
Our co-op's not the issue it's that our co-op meets opposite weeks of a 2nd co-op that has a faith statement. I look at the faith statement and unfortunately it does not give me any wiggle room to sign. I may just take those days as field-trip days but I hate to see something that is working for Miguel not able to take complete part in it because of faith.
April 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
4boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I once read the reason for faith statements is so that the parents don't have to worry about what their kid might hear contrary to what the people believe.
This seems odd to me. It is the responsibility of the parents, not the homeschool group and certainly not anyone else, to make sure they teach their children their values and to make sure the people they hang around with are what they consider appropriate or safe or whatever. Anyone can sign a statement of faith and then act completely the opposite of what they signed up for believing. What I mean is, it doesn't protect anyone from anything. It is the parents' responsibility to monitor what and who their kids are exposed to. I hope I made sense.
April 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you don't need to attend both groups and you're not comfortable signing, then don't. Every other week is probably enough for Miguel.

Our co-op's faith statement only applies to the leaders of the group (at least in theory.) Anyone can join and no one needs to sign anything, but they want everyone to be aware of their religious position. They pray in the mornings and present some classes from a Christian point of view and they want people to be aware of that upfront.

We do not subscribe to the same beliefs as most of the co-op and at first I worried that it might be a problem. But it has been a learning experience for us and for the most part works out. It's not the most ideal place for us (there have been a few disappointing experiences in regards to the religion thing), but the kids love it and it's pretty much the only game in town.

I truly wish there were more groups that were open to everyone and didn't let religious differences get in the way. The way I see it, the groups that close themselves off are missing some great opportunities to meet new and interesting friends. :-(

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you don't need to attend both groups and you're not comfortable signing, then don't. Every other week is probably enough for Miguel.

Our co-op's faith statement only applies to the leaders of the group (at least in theory.) Anyone can join and no one needs to sign anything, but they want everyone to be aware of their religious position. They pray in the mornings and present some classes from a Christian point of view and they want people to be aware of that upfront.

We do not subscribe to the same beliefs as most of the co-op and at first I worried that it might be a problem. But it has been a learning experience for us and for the most part works out. It's not the most ideal place for us (there have been a few disappointing experiences in regards to the religion thing), but the kids love it and it's pretty much the only game in town.

I truly wish there were more groups that were open to everyone and didn't let religious differences get in the way. The way I see it, the groups that close themselves off are missing some great opportunities to meet new and interesting friends. :-(

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd just tell them that once every 2 weeks is enough for you guys right now. I'd hate for people to get weird because you told them you don't agree with the faith statement. People shouldn't be that way, but somehow it always ends up that way.

April 23rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I agree with Retrocutie. That is probably the most painless option.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search