Duncan's Learning Style

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
I've been looking for some information on how to establish Duncan's learning style and came across this quiz on Babyzone: Learning Quiz: What's Your Child's Learning Style according to this Duncan's a kinesthetic learner. I've been doing most of his lessons in a "practical" manner anyway, but I'm not sure if I'm doing enough as he often seems bored with the work infront of him.

Any suggestions on how I can "spice things up" for him.
April 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran
This is one I can always answer:) My dd is VERY hands on, but also a mover. She learns best while moving.

Lapbooks might be a good option (writing, reading, can add math etc).

Any kind of math with maniplitives or doing facts while jump roping or doing any kind of movement. We use a foot-scooter in the house and sometimes skates. She can go in a circle from one room to the next (always ending up in the frontroom where I am). A small tramp would work great as well. We do this for spelling (I will call out a word and she will spell it when she gets back), and for math facts.

Computer games work well for dd too. Even though she is sitting still, her mind is busy with the colors, sound and movement of the game. We have games for math and spelling.

I will allow her to move about the room, or play on the computer (with the sound off) while I'm reading to her, and she remembers more when I let her do this. The only exception is science reading because the pictures in the book explain more than my reading it does at times:)

She does sit and do math pages, writing (though this is her most hated subject), reading (she really loves to read), and crafts/art. As she gets older, she is able to sit through longer period of time, though I still make sure she gets up to move in-between 'sit down subjects'.

Since really paying attention to what she 'needs', she enjoys school much more, though she still would rather play outside:) I also try to bring in topics that she wants to study while working through our curriculum choices.

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
April 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_meyer View Post
She does sit and do math pages, writing (though this is her most hated subject), reading (she really loves to read), and crafts/art. As she gets older, she is able to sit through longer period of time, though I still make sure she gets up to move in-between 'sit down subjects'.

Since really paying attention to what she 'needs', she enjoys school much more, though she still would rather play outside I also try to bring in topics that she wants to study while working through our curriculum choices.
OMGsh Shannon, you are my hero. I'm so glad to hear that this is actually just a "personality trait" and not ADHD like his PS preschool teachers wanted me to believe. What you described here is Duncan to a tee. Thank you so much! He loves playing games on the PC, Wii or PS2 so I think I'll go and invest on some more fun educational games. Can you suggest any for a 1st grader who is still learning to read?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search