Somebody talk me out of it....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because I'm about a hair's breadth away from enrolling these kids in public school in the fall!! I'm just so sick & tired of all the arguing and fighting all day long! It has nothing to do with school. During school time (most of the time) they're fine. But when school's done, the fighting begins. It's all they do the rest of the day. I'm just ready for some peace & quiet. I feel like the grouchiest person in the world because I'm constantly on them about their fighting. *sigh* They need some space from each other or something.....
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
This is on my Amazon wish list. I've heard wonderful things about it!!

Amazon.com: Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: Sarah Mally, Stephen Mally, Grace Mally, Harold Mally: Books
April 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
OMGsh Jen, I can imagine how tiring and trying that must be for you HUGS
April 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm sorry It's so hard when the kids pick at each other. We go through periods of time like that with Ani and Cameron. A few things have helped. One, is to have a schedule. Ani thrives on being told what to do when (crazy child did NOT get that from me!). She often picks at Cameron because she's bored. If she has a schedule she doesn't. Two, if they started getting at each other they have to hug. Cameron will avoid picking at Ani just to not have to hug her. Three, sometimes I make them write down three things they love about their sibling. Sometimes just coming up with three things takes 45 minutes or an hour (during which they are on their own and so can't fight with their sibling). We keep those lists and they have to review them sometimes. Four, fining them a quarter per argument nips it in the bud fast. Five, quiet time. They have one hour of playing away from Mommie time a day. They have the little boys during that time, too. Even if it doesn't help them, it certainly helps me!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
4boys
When my boys begin to pick at each other, there are immediate consequences. I am not a believer in "letting them figure it out" because how are they supposed to do that if they are not first taught? If it is silly fighting over dumb stuff, they spend time apart. If one wrongs another, either by accident or on purpose, the appropriate apologies are said. Any kind of physical fighting meets immediate intervention and punishment from me. I don't allow them to push or hit each other out of anger.

Anyways, my point is I don't let them bicker until I get really frustrated and blow up; that just doesn't help anyone. I try to put a stop to it before it escalates. They simply don't get to play together if they don't get along. I hope some of this is helpful. Hang in there; it's not easy. ((hugs))
April 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I made them all go lay on their beds this afternoon with a book & told them they had to be quiet. They stayed there for about 30 minutes & all is well now. It's been very peaceful since the quiet time.

They may be fighting out of boredom, but I don't know. They're all so strong-willed & independent thinkers that they each want things done their own way. When the others don't give in or agree, the fighting begins. They don't usually get physical. It's just alot of loud arguing. Mostly done by Jack. That boy is so loud & obnoxious sometimes.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

April 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe try to extend your school day by spending the rest of the day outdoors- hiking, fishing, exploring, nature journaling, etc.... or doing some other activity if possible.

Nature has such a wonderful calming effect and brings people closer together. :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel your pain. My two are are constantly fighting, crying and yelling.
Sarah has taken to bossing Daniel around and telling him off. He makes weird noises that annoys her or goes into her room and takes her things. I am glad they are playing well right at this moment because it's on all day long!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Mine bicker..that's usually my sign they need space..I send one outside..one to quiet etc...
April 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
You have been given so great advice so far. Just know you are not
alone in this problem. I have a friend who actually resorted to grounding her girls from each other. They were allowed to speak to, or touch one another for an entire week.

Personally I do what you did and make them lay down for at least 15-30 minutes every day. Usually mine do it out of aimless boredom too.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Maybe try to extend your school day by spending the rest of the day outdoors- hiking, fishing, exploring, nature journaling, etc.... or doing some other activity if possible.
Nature has such a wonderful calming effect and brings people closer together. :-)
I would do that if there was actually anywhere to go around here. Plus I end up spending the rest of the time after school trying to actually get some housework & laundry done before dh gets home at 4. Then there's dinner to get. After dinner is when we usually all spend some time doing things together whether it's games, playing outside, soccer, or going fishing or something. Since dh started his new job & has shorter hours, my day is so hectic & cut really short.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

April 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Girl, you are preaching to the CHOIR over here! I know exactly what you mean, only I have 2 and you have 3 (which has to be worse)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneve View Post
They don't usually get physical. It's just alot of loud arguing. Mostly done by Jack. That boy is so loud & obnoxious sometimes.
Are Bryce and Jack realated...sure sounds like it!
April 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Maybe it's a 9-10 year old thing.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

April 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
For Bryce, it's an ADHD, "I do it before I think about it," thing.
April 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Remy and Elijah can so get me in a hissy! And they would probably be worse if they had sat in a desk in school all day. Hee hee...

Remy has this thing lately where he can't lose, he feels Eli wins all the time. Elijah doesn't want to play the same things for HOURS on end because he is maturing.

Motherhood, it is something else!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search