Natural question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I asked this on the homeopathic board too, but they are rarely active and want some answers now. If any of you smart ladies have an idea, please comment. TIA.

I get these a lot and I hate using antibiotics. They mess me up badly and I just don't want my body to become susceptible to them. I had a UTI a few months ago that was very painful and I couldn't take it anymore and went to get a prescription. Now I have another one. I have a few friends who say they have never had to get meds for it and have always downed a gallon of cranberry juice- NO sugar- taken the cranberry pills and it was gone. So I have in the last 3-4 days drank over a gallon of cranberry juice, eaten garlic cloves, taken colloidal silver- even putting some drops 'there' and drank tons of water. The pain is definitely much less, but I can still feel it a little. My urine smells, I don't feel like I am flushing out as much as I drink and it is taking quite a long time on this. I don't want to risk a kidney infection, but if this is working and maybe I just need to be more patient I would rather do that. Anyway, does anyone have any experience treating a UTI with homeopathic remedies or natural methods and having it work? How long did it take to feel normal again?

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What you're doing can be great for a UTI, but it depends on what's causing it. I had one earlier this year that was a very resistant strain and had to be treated with IV antibiotics because of my allergies. If you have a resistant strain you may need something stronger than cranberry. Cranberry juice and things like yogurt in your diet can be a great preventative measure though once you get this UTI beat. Sorry I can't be of more help.

April 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sadly I have some milk intolerance right now so no yogurt, though I take daily pro-biotics. Thanks for the help though.

April 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Do you think it could be yeast rather than bacterial? I got a yeast-caused once and it was AWFUL. The normal cranberry concentrate and stuff helped, but didn't get rid of it. Lots and lots and lots of probiotics helped, too, but what finally killed it was taking Primal Defense from Garden of Life. It took at least 3 or 4 weeks to totally get rid of it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
4boys
I have had yeast infections that are painful, like burning and such just like a UTI. Maybe it's that?
April 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As far as I've heard, once you actually have a UTI you have to get the antibiotics. At least that's what the doctors tell you. But what you are doing is great to prevent one if you have recurring UTI's. I could be wrong though because I don't know much about natural stuff. I take cranberry pills every night because I used to get them sometimes twice a month! OUCH!

April 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
My urologist told me to get this stuff after my bladder surgery, and it's GREAT!!! It's called Azo-Standard. Don't get it at a drug store like Walgreens. Even the generic will be super expensive (like $15). Get it at walmart. You'll probably have to ask a pharmacist to help you find it, because they usually only stock a couple of them, and it's usually on the bottom shelf with some unrelated stuff. It's GREAT for urinary pain. I have to warn you, though... it will definitely turn your urine a deep reddish-orange color, and it will stain clothing. Always wear a liner when you're taking it. The box says not to use it more than a couple of days, but the urologist told me to keep taking it. That's just to encourage you to see your doctor. It's safe.

Azo also has other products (like cranberry), but Azo-Standard is the original, and it's the only one designed to ease the pain.

OH!! Also, if you decide to go to the doc anyway, the reddish-orange staining won't affect a culture test. It's fine to keep taking it.
April 25th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocutie View Post
As far as I've heard, once you actually have a UTI you have to get the antibiotics. At least that's what the doctors tell you.
I can tell you from experience that the doctors are wrong lol

The yeast bladder infection I had would have been made worse from antibiotics. I've heard those are more common than you may think.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Yeah the doctors will tell you that just to make sure you come in. Overly cautious. I have always done the tons of water and cranberry juice too. Sometimes it can take up to a week, or more, for the pain to go away completely. The Azo Standard is only to ease the pain, doesn't cure it, so that is why they don't want you to take it for more than a few days. It can mask symptoms which isn't good if you aren't already under a doctor's care. I would just keep doing what you are doing until mid-week before I broke down and visited the doctor, but that is just me.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just to update on this. The pain was getting to be horrible and I was no longer emptying all of the water + cranberry that I was drinking. I went into the doctor and they said it was a UTI. I am on antibiotics now. Which I hate!

Heather- I didn't see this until after I went. I will try Primal Defense next time to see if that is the problem, I have heard of it so I will check the next time I get one. My body suffers from yeast over growths all of the time so there is a good chance that could be part or all of it. I take pro-biotics daily and will continue taking it with the antibiotics. And I will take the cranberry pills also. My back was starting to hurt so I went and now am kind of irritated that I did. I can just bet that it was the yeast since that is a constant problem for me. Maybe after this round of meds I will take some Primal Defense as well. Flush it out!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am happy to be feeling better especially since we are trying to move and I was so miserable I was having such a hard time packing.

Last edited by LuvEmm; April 25th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
April 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Try googling candida treatments & diets. Many people get an overgrowth because of their diet. There are natural changes you can make to cut down all kinds of symptoms (like chronic UTI's).
April 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Yep, AZO standard is like Pyradium or Uro Blue. It works to help with the pain, but the pain will come back if you do not treat the infection.

The best thing you can do is get rid of this one with antibiotics, and then start making cranberry pills (also from AZO) part of your daily intake. If this doesn't work, you may want to further explore the cause of frequent UTIs. I had them when I first started dating my dh because of the way his bacteria meshed with mine. The dr said he was pushing it into my urethra during foreplay and intercourse. My body really just had to get used to his body and finally I stopped getting them.

I had one when I was pregnant with Scotty that woke me up at 2am and there was no waiting it out...it was HORRIBLE.

Also, are you 100% sure it is a UTI? After I gave birth the second time, I was certain I had UTIs, and after a LONG time, I realized it was not a UTI, it was Interstitial Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder). It was due to eating certain foods and I had to cut back on everything acidic. I still can't drink orange juice or lemonade unless I want to hurt for a few days. My back pain (herniated L4 and L5) played a role in my bladder/urinary pain too somehow because when I started getting regular chiropractic care, it also eased. It was a crazy time for me!
April 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
BensMom- I got really sick after a stomach infection and was put on severe antibiotics 3 years ago and got severe Candida. I had to go on the restrictive diet for 3 months and take supplements to help and low and behold I got pregnant after 10 months of trying and the last bit of the flush. I take supplements all the time to combat that. With my celiac disease though my body does not keep its own bacteria hardly at all. Its really frustrating to deal with it all the time actually. I try to live as natural a diet I can, but its hard to do sometimes when I am always so limited. I am not always great about it and I can tell when I am not that I have a harder time.

April 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A Midwife mentor told me a remedy and I have used it everytime for my own with great success.

Vitamin C 2,000 and B-Complex. You pretty much want to OD on those two. I take the C in the morning, noon and night along with the complex (2 capsules each time). Drink a glass of water with it each time. Cran-Actin works well...but not like the c and B's...

April 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good tip Chelita. I will try that next time- hopefully there won't be a next time if I can stay on top of it with the cranberries now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search