Swine Flu...media hype or real threat?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
What do you ladies think?
April 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Mostly hype, but a slight threat simply because the flu in general really stinks. Reading about it, it hit me. We had that flu! It's what we had before Fritz and I got pneumonia in March. All the symptoms fit and the likelihood of going into pneumonia fits. I know lots of people who had it at the same time. I really think it was the same flu, but not many people got their strain cultured then because people hadn't died yet. Now people are dying so lots of people with mild flu-like symptoms are getting tested and of course some have that swine flu strain. When we were sick we didn't get tested. We treated it at home and only went to the doctor because we suspected Fritz and I were heading into pneumonia and Adrian had strep, but the doctor just treated those things because that was our issue at the time.

Because this flu seems to go into pneumonia so easily, it is scarier than others, but as long as people stay on top of it, I don't think it'll be totally horrible, at least in countries with really good healthcare systems (i.e. first world countries). The last time there was a swine flu scare in the US the vaccine killed many more people than the flu itself. It turned out to be media hype.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
You know, I have actually heard a lot of people say they had something similar around March. It is weird. There is an epidemologist on another forum I frequent and she says that there is a "round two" type thing that happens with the mutated form of the virus and then that one is stronger. I don't know.

My dh, Bryce, and I have all had bad cases of the flu in the past. I mean, to the point of near death experience. The only one who has not is Scotty - and that fact really terrifies me. When Bryce had the flu in 2003, it was the one that had all of the media hype - kids on the news dying faster than ever. It was the Fujian strain of influenza A (H3N2). We all, got it in some way or another, but none of us got it as badly as poor Bryce. He was SO sick. When I was 17, I got a strain of the flu that was absolutely horrendous. I developed walking pneumonia and honestly probably should have died. I never saw a doctor and after 3 months, I finally started recovering. Now, I look back on it and think how STUPID I was to not get to a dr. I couldn't breathe and my fever was 103 for a month straight.

So yeah, flu does really suck! Scotty got the flu when Bryce had it, but he still had my immunities and never got all that sick. It lasted about 48 hours for him and he was 2 mos old. He has had the flu shot every year since. So, it is really Scotty, more than anyone else in my family, that I am worried about.
April 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My thoughts are that it is hyped up, but it is definitely still something to worry about. Especially for me because of my asthma. I don't take maintenance meds for it because of how they affect me, but I am considering calling my doctor and getting a steroid inhaler for possible infection. I had pneumonia as a child. NOT fun. I agree with Heather that I think swine flu is already here. My SIL and nephew got the flu and SIL got pneumonia as well. My BIL- different family, but exposed- got really sick with the flu as well. Anyway, I think we need to be cautious and careful and if we get the flu- take very good care of ourselves. Drink fluids, eat healthy, etc. So right now my best defense is my offense and that will be making sure I have meds, fluids in my house in case I am too sick to leave, etc. and hopefully this will not be as bad as they are saying it will be.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 29th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We were super sick right before March too!!! I'll bet this is the second wave of it. Hmm, something to think about...

April 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I think for MOST people this is mostly hype. But for us it is a real threat because of Joey's immune system. We've already been told that the FIRST sign of illness in anyone in the family and Joey has to be admitted.
April 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Yes, the flu can definitely be scary for those who are immunocompromised. But that goes for any flu and not just the swine flu, I am sure.

We are taking the "wait and see" approach. We aren't getting tangled up in big crowds right now and so forth...but not wearing masks and freaking out either. Just trying to be cautious and alert.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search