Teaching Reading Comprehension?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
mommablogger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you teach reading comprehension? My son has been working on the same exact problem for over an hour now in his reading workbook. The answer is right in front of him. All he has to do is fill in the blanks of a sentence he already read, but he won't do it.

How do I teach him how to answer the question without answering it for him? He already asks me every question if his answer is right (which it usually isn't because he doesn't really even try..). I am trying not to allow him to become dependent on me for every answer, but he refuses to do the work.

Help please
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

April 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
How old is he?

Is he reading the sentence or are you? If he is reading it, you may need to have him go back and read it again more fluently once he has sounded things out. Sometimes Scotty didn't "get it" on the first try. ETC has really helped with the reading comprehension because they have one little picture and two sentences. You have to choose the sentence that states what is in the picture. It is very simple and fun, but they are learning comprehension at the same time.
April 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Veteran
Not sure how to help you on this specific problem. Our curriculum doesn't have any of the written or mult. choice reading comp things. We are encouraged to ask our children to summerize what they've read and then we can ask question based on what they had told us. This works really well for us. She has done a few pg like the one you discribed for fun though. It seems to help her if she can read the questions before she reads the material, so that she knows what they are looking for. I think I always did that too, as a child. Maybe that would help him.

Like I said, I don't have much experience on the reading comp worksheets, so sorry about that:)

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
April 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
The problem in question was a comprehension thing. He read a paragraph at the top of the page, and then had to fill in the blanks on a similar sentence. It was only very slightly rewritten, and I even got to the point where I circled the sentence in question. I even got to the point where I circled the word he was ignoring, and he still stared at me like I was from Mars. He gets so stubborn about these things.... he can hold out for hours and I just lose my patience after a while. I know that's really bad, and I think I may have hurt his feelings by getting so frustrated.... but it's such simple stuff and he just acts like he doesn't have a clue. But if I feed him the answer, he does fine. Maybe he's just figured out that I'll give in and feed him the answer now....

I don't know. I'm just frustrated.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

April 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
How old is he>?

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Sorry, forgot to answer that one... He's 9.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

April 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My kids have learned reading comprehension through narrating, notebooking, and answering questions orally.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 30th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I bought some little reading comprehension books for my kids. Each page is a short paragraph followed by a few questions to see if the comprehended what it was about. As they got older, the paragraphs got longer.
Another thing that really helps is to start out reading things aloud and then asking questions to see how he is comprehending that. I think they need to learn to comprehend things that they hear before things that they read. If you buy the little comprehension workbooks, start out reading them aloud and asking him the questions.
I hope this helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search