Where to start?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Newbies
I am seriously considering pulling my 8yr old from public school and going the homeschool route. She is currently in the second grade accelerated program. She will be starting the 3rd grade in the fall.

For the past 6-8 months we have been having issues with teachers not communicating, and my daughter isn't getting what she needs to succeed in the current school system.

I am also looking into a preschool curriculum for my 2 year old daughter.

I was home schooled Grades 6 and 7, and had a VERY good experience from it. I just don't know where or how to start from the parent/teacher perspective instead of the student perspective. any advice and resources are appreciated.

May 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
mommablogger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For preschool, I recommend letteroftheweek.com

For your older daughter, there are tons of resources and styles of teaching, so it's hard to say what will work best for you. I prefer workbooks over everything else... We have math, social studies, and reading/spelling right now. I am not sure what I'll do about science yet.

With it being so close to the end of the school year, it might be easier for her to finish out the year if you don't think it will do any harm. You can always supplement at home. Then you can start fresh this summer or fall.

For preschool, I recommend letteroftheweek.com

For your older daughter, there are tons of resources and styles of teaching, so it's hard to say what will work best for you. I prefer workbooks over everything else... We have math, social studies, and reading/spelling right now. I am not sure what I'll do about science yet.

With it being so close to the end of the school year, it might be easier for her to finish out the year if you don't think it will do any harm. You can always supplement at home. Then you can start fresh this summer or fall.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

May 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
First, find out the laws in your state. Where do you live?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, finding out the laws are super important. I think the website is HSLDA?

I found my school to register with (we use an umbrella school) then I started stocking up on workbooks. I have enough workbooks for the next two years! lol

MY kids are 4 and 7. For my dd I mainly use workbooks, because I like them the best.

For ds, 99% of the time, I just print pages off the internet. We do flash cards and Preschool/Kindergarten computer games. Some times I get lucky, and the Dollar tree of all places have great Disney preschool workbooks.

I agree that I would probably just finish out the year, unless it's an urgent matter. Depending on the route you choose, some schools will have you pay a fee to enroll, then you'll just have to pay it again next school year, so it she has a month or so left, I'd just stick it out and just start doing it at home also. Good Luck

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

May 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It woul be super neat to have you join us! Let us know what you decide.

I found out how I could do it, legally.

Then I found what I wanted to use.

And then we started!

May 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
It sounds like homeschooling might be a great thing for you and your daughter. There are lots of great home resources out there. Some of our favorites are...

Excellence in Writing
Sonlight for literature and history
Aleks math
Sequential Spelling

Steps to getting started...
1. Find out the laws for your state-HSLDA has great summaries of each states' laws
2. Decide if you will homeschool privately (you choose everything) or through an online school (they choose the curriculum)
3. Get started-How fun!

jana
May 12th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
Here's a great site I'd like to recommend to you: pure . home . schooling Jana practically covers every question imaginable

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search