This economy...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Really stinks. My heart just hurts for all of you with husbands who have been laid off or may be laid off. But now I just saw the most depressing thing.

Our library system is drastically cutting their hours!

I don't know why that depresses me quite so much.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ugh... it all sucks.. it's all depressing and unreal. We did manage to get health insurance.. which means I no long HAVE to get a job..it's not ideal..I hate having state insurance.. but It will help with the rest of my dental work and all that Eric needs done..so I'll take it for now.
May 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I know so many people online and IRL who are getting laid off, its unreal. I'm kind of scared, you know? It's all just so crazy.

May 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh lost his job a couple of years ago now. It was hard. We bought a fixer upper before 7 years ago. And we were using our extra money to slowly fix it up. Now that we have no extra money it stinks that we can't work on the house anymore really. I do feel greatly blessed though that we can pay our bills and we can get the things we NEED. Our house may be run down, but it is our home. But yeah...I am with you. The economy stinks.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh lost his job a couple of years ago now. It was hard. He did get new job, but it doesn't pay as well and the insurance is outrageous. We bought a fixer upper before...7 years ago. And we were using our extra money to slowly fix it up. Now that we have no extra money it stinks that we can't work on the house anymore really. I do feel greatly blessed though that we can pay our bills and we can get the things we NEED. Our house may be run down, but it is our home. But yeah...I am with you. The economy stinks.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Last edited by *Sharon*; May 5th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
May 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am glad you were able to get health insurance Alison. When my mom was unemployed (they closed the store she had managed for over 11 years just all of a sudden a couple of years ago), she still couldn't get state health insurance in TN (and she lives ALONE with an older car and a 50K house!...TN sucks like that!).

I actually found out that a friend IRL's dh lost his job last week. She said that they may very well have to move out of the area to find work now. She is a fellow homeschool momma. And it was surprising to me that her dh was a computer something-er-other. So, now it is not just the labor type jobs that are being cut and not just the hourly employees, but they are starting to hack away at the salaried jobs as well. Huge companies are closing down whole sections. One of the companies dh worked for when we first moved here has already closed and the one he worked for before going to where he works now is thisclose to following in their footsteps. It is all very sad. There are so many people out of work right now, it is unreal.
May 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH is in computers and 'says' not to worry but come on, how can you NOT? Plus, his company is in CA and he telecommutes. So who's going to be cut first if things go down the crapper? He says there are three other people at least who would be cut before him...THREE. UGH. It all makes me sick.

May 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
I'm also sad that so many of you have to go through this. Dh lost his first job after leaving the military. Then lost the second one after that too. 2006 was the WORST year ever for us. I hope it gets better quickly for all of you

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
May 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Insurance is the biggest thing we are having a hard time with. we get max inemployment, so we make too much to get medicaid. I swear the sustem sucks. You have medicaid for those who dont work at all, and then you have ensurance plans for those who make a ton. How about those of us in the 20-30k range?
May 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Jamie lost his job twice in 3 months in 2003 or 2004. Not the best time of my life. They were both computer jobs. In the end it turned out good because he changed his career path to what he does now and that has been wonderful for us. Truly where God closes a door he opens a window. Wide.

Quite a few computer jobs are disappearing, especially computer support for individual companies. If the company disappears so does the job. Computer support is often one of the first things cut if the company is starting to fail. Meanwhile, Jamie's group can't find people to fill their spots. The DC area economy is a bit different from the rest of the country, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, DH is a programmer so he's not just doing support, but I hear ya. He doesn't seem to think there is any reason to worry but I'm a worrier by nature. I just can't help it! Plus, if DH does get laid off, the company owns all the stuff he did while he was there which is pretty much everything he's worked on since we've been married.
We already have to buy our own insurance and it costs soooo much! UGh...I'm gonna worry myself sick if I don't stop it.

May 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This all stinks! It's a sad, sad time for everyone.

May 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We our public library had 6 locations in our town, they recently closed all of them but the main branch due to the economy. It's really sad.

The economy is taking it's toll, and I'm ready for a turn around!
May 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
It is slowly turning around.. it just went so deep it's going to take years.. it's a sucky time to be an adult...
May 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The library thing sucks! I have one right up the road...could walk to it...and it is my favorite in town. I am sad that they are closing libraries now! I hope mine will stay open.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search