Anyone Homeschool AND public school?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
So, we're expecting our first and have been thinking of homeschooling. But we also want our child/ren to attend public school for the social interaction. Does anyone do this?

The plan we're thinking is have them go to public school during the day and then supplement with a few extra hours of homeschool in the evenings and over the summer. (I've always been a fan of year-round schooling.) The homeschool we're looking into has a fantastic curriculum that appears to be at least a couple of years ahead of most public schools (at least comparing to when *I* last attended public school. ) and not only does basic subjects but also our personal religious beliefs.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some thoughts on this plan and to see if anyone else does it.

May 7th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How old is your child/children? Personally, I wouldn't do that. School is a lot for a kid to deal with and of course there's usually homework in the evenings/ weekends. They need free time for play and relaxation. I certainly think it's okay to encourage their interests, find them books/games/etc on subjects they are interested in, maybe learn a foreign language or hands on skill, do trips to museums, libraries, etc.. But I wouldn't do two separate full curriculums.

As for social interaction, that is not what school is for. School is for learning. If you can do that at home (and it sounds like you can) then find other (and possibly better) avenues for social time. School is not the only place for that. Homeschoolers have tons of opportunities for social activities. In fact my kids (along with the rest of the local homeschooling co-op) have their homeschool spring program this weekend. The oldest kids are putting on a film festival of the movies they filmed and produced. The youngest kids will be presenting the foreign language/cultural studies and they'll receive their yearbooks.. It should be a lot of fun for everyone!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Regular
I agree with the above post. Honestly, going to school all day and then coming home to a few more hours of school work sounds like a drag. Kids still need time to be kids, to play and have some down time to pursue things they'd like to.

The whole "..homeschooled kids don't get enough socialization.." is quite frankly a myth and has been proven to be complete bunk. In addition, since homeschoolers get the opportunity to interact and make friends with a wide variety of people of different ages and backgrounds the quality of socialization they get is many times much higher.
May 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I am also opposed to afterschooling as that is called. Seriously, kids spend a lot of time at school and to have them come home and do more work seems really overkill. They really do need time to be kids and just play and there isn't much when they spend most of the day at school. Also, if public school would be for social interactions, well, that really doesn't make sense. Homeschoolers get a lot of social interaction in natural rather than contrived settings. Where else but public school will you be in a group of about 30 of your age mates listening to an adult all day long? Also, school is truly for education, not socialization. I'd just homeschool. Make more sense anyway lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
You really need to revisit the thought of public school social interaction. They don't really get to "socialize" at school. They do get to learn how to function in a group but there are many other ways for a child to get to do that. My kids are so "socialized" that I feel like my head is going to spin at times. I was just filling out my son's birthday party attendee list and was shocked at the number of kids he had the potential to invite. I didn't even have this many friends at his age, and I was full time public schooled. I know Allison can attest to the same experience.

I also agree with everyone that afterschooling is just too much. I can see doing some work over the summer but adding to an already full time work load, on a daily basis just seems too much. Really do some research bc you might find that full time homeschooling is more appealing than you think.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Agreeing with everything above. And yeah..um I can attest..my kids have way more friends then I did at their age and i was in PS.. my younger three have never stepped foot in a school ( well except when going to see their big brother wrestle). I can remember being in school and hearing 100 times a day "your not here to socialize" or getting in trouble for passing notes and trying to be social.. school and socialization don't mix well. My younger three see friends almost daily, are involved in things "after school" that if they were in school they'd never be able to do because homework and achool activities would not allow them the time.
May 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.

May 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just chiming in to agree with the other ladies about afterschooling. You have to remember that as the kids get in higher grades (3rd & up) they have homework that can take 2-3 hours to finish. Not to mention if they participate in any extracurricular activities like music lessons or sports. Then putting more work on them by afterschooling? When would they have time to play and just be kids? My honest opinion is either homeschool OR public school, but not both. If you're not confident in them getting a good education through public school, but want them to have the opportunity to be around other kids their age, homeschool them & get involved with a local homeschool group. They usually have play days (at the park or whatever), field trips, co-op classes.... You'd be surprised at how much "socialization" homeschooling can offer.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't be opposed to summer schooling though, it certainly can't hurt. Especially if you make it lots of fun!

May 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Having an hour or 2 a day throughout the summer I think is a very good idea! It is such a long break. We homeschool for most subjects but this year Belle did art, music and gym at public school.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Believe it or not, we were given the option here to do PS part time. Like every other day or 1x a week or whatever we wanted. If you want to mix, ask about that...but I wouldnt do both EVERY day. That would be miserable for the kids.

my 7 yr old gets 1/2-1 hr of school a day and learns more then she did in 3 yrs of 5hr a day PS.
May 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Summer only would be fine. A lot of people do those summer bridge things to keep their kids from losing so much during the break.

In VA you can only do 2 core-only classes at the public school and only in high school on a space-available basis and it is up to the district whether or not they allow it at all. In MD going to public school as a homeschooler at all is forbidden.

Smaller on the Outside

May 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
In MD going to public school as a homeschooler at all is forbidden.
Same here. At least in our district anyway. I don't know about the whole state.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Veteran
Same here but we may be moving out of the school district It's on a board by board basis.
What do you want to accomplish in PS that you can't at HS?
What can you accomplish in HS that you can't in PS?
May 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I agree with the others. I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear, and I am sorry for that. You may want to do a search for "afterschooling" and see if you can find others who do it. There is an entire section devoted to it on another board where I post.

My ds9 went to public school for 4 years. During that 4 years, he got socialized alright...he got socialized in what crazy lives other kids had (father in jail for domestic violence...kid sharing the story with the whole class...DAILY in 2nd grade), bullying and being bullied, he was socilaized enough to realize that he didn't fit the mold for a "typical" child and therefore lose total self esteem. It was a blow all the way around.

Now, we "socialize" by playing sports, taking co-op classes with other homeschooled kids, going to functions at the library, visiting the park with friends, going to camps in the summer (Christian camp and basketball camp), participating in his church Sunday school class, and his involvement in 4-H where he takes cool classes in the history of the Civil War and a Great Lego Ball challenge class. The opportunities to "socilaize" are huge because we are not tied to a "school schedule." We have more free time because my kids aren't herded to the bathroom, then to the lunch table, then in single file back to the classroom. We don't waste time trying to settle down all the wild kids in class so we can get to work, and we don't waste time waiting on everyone to finish. The opportunities are endless with homeschooling - take that from a mom who has been on BOTH sides of the coin.
May 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The good thing is your expecting your baby bean. This means you have lots of time to READ and chat with us here. I hope you visit us often! By the time school rolls around I bet you are ready to make that choice.

How is the pregnancy?

May 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks again, ladies. Like I said.. it was just a thought that I was toying with. There are benefits to both and that's what I have in mind. Giving my child the best opportunities possible and hopefully, the chance to achieve what I couldn't.

Someone asked what I wanted out of each that I couldn't get in the other... For public school it's the social interaction I'm after. I don't mean making friends and the such but learning proper social skills that may not be achievable if homeschooled all the time. I and my husband are rather "in" people. I have mental instability that makes it difficult for me to be in the public for very long (like would be required for groups and such) and my husband is just generally introverted. Our children will not be able to learn proper social interaction through us and I am aware of that. There's also the opportunities to enjoy school activities like dances and proms and school pride events like games and such... things that I didn't get to experience due to quitting school early. These are just a couple of things connected to public school that come to mind first.

As for homeschooling, the particular program I'm looking at is more focused on what I would consider to be "advanced" subjects. I'm not sure what subjects are taught in middle and high schools now but when I attended school, intro to psych, philosophy, calculus, trigonometry and advanced algebra weren't taught until college.... Of course, last time I attended school was 15 years ago. I'm sure things have changed. The program is also focused on certain religious subjects that pertain to us that our children would most definitely not learn in public school.

I realise that we have quite a few years ahead of us before a decision has to be made but it doesn't hurt to start research early. I understand that it seems like I would be asking a lot from my child to do two school programs at the same time... which is why I wanted to know if anyone else did it. We'll check into part-time programs when the time comes. I won't bother looking now as things could change in the next 6 years and we may not even be living in this country.

PS: the pregnancy is going fine, thank you. We go for our 12 week check up next Tuesday... hoping to hear the heartbeat.

Last edited by Nyzira; May 9th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
May 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Veteran
There is also the possibility to find a co-op that your kids can go to without you attending. Also scouts, YMCA and other sports things. Also summer camps, summer enrichment program and "after-school" child care could let you have those and not require your presence. Also if you like reading you can always take a book (in my case a DSI) and find a nice little corner to hide while they are in activities.

Quote:
dances and proms and school pride events
it really depends on your area.
May 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I went to dances at the public school and I was homeschooled Just because a kid is homeschooled most definitely does not mean they miss out on stuff like that.

Smaller on the Outside

May 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was school age (homeschooled) I did dance, music, piano, choir, sparks/brownies (girl guides), and a number of other things, my sister did all that an AWANA, and then even more beyond what I did. Very little that I remember doing required that my mother or father do anything more than drop us off or occasionally chat with the leader/teacher of the activity. Church was about the only place that we all went together every time.

Just chiming in with the opinion that social interaction isn't gauged by the parent's ability to participate with the child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search