It just amazes me....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2009, 08:47 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
how over protective some parents can be. I won't go into detail but I once thought I was an over protective Mom, well I have a few friends now who just take the cake! Geesh! Just had to say that out loud, somewhere it wouldn't get me in trouble. LOL!

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 8th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Now I'm curious...

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Veteran
I hope everything is okay.
May 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
Overprotective-ness is something I have to try REALLY hard not to have. I'm a natural worrier. I've been reading the Free Range Kid blog and it's really helped me to relax with my kids

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
May 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Overprotective is somethign I struggle with myself, trying to find the fine balance between letting my kids be kids and still keeping Joey safe and healthy.
May 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Okay, you totally have to tell us the story now! No names, of course....but how overprotective is too overprotective?
May 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know i'm overprotective but i hope i don't get any cake...

I try not to be, but then i turn on the tv and see the news...

May 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
I wanna know how over protective is over protective too, LOL!

I dont let my kids outside alone, and I dont let them lick shopping cart handles...

But I dont wrap them in bubblewrap and foam bumber pads either..

I dunno, I have a problem seeing 3-5 yr olds running around the neighborhood and no parents (I saw 2 almost get hit by a car today cause they ran into the street).
May 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal10 View Post
I wanna know how over protective is over protective too, LOL!

I dont let my kids outside alone, and I dont let them lick shopping cart handles...

But I dont wrap them in bubblewrap and foam bumber pads either..

I dunno, I have a problem seeing 3-5 yr olds running around the neighborhood and no parents (I saw 2 almost get hit by a car today cause they ran into the street).
I can just see Melanie trying this one.

I agree, kids running around outside unsupervised drives me crazy.
May 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, Stacy! Come on & spill! I don't see myself as overprotective, but I am cautious about certain things.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Okay we are having a sleepover for Trent's birthday. I have not a problem with my older 2 doing an over night stay, esp if I know the people as well as we do. I would look at it as a treat in fact for the kids AND ME. LOL They aren't seeing it that way and are making the kids cut out at bedtime. That is my pet peeve right now.

I guess I am just being sensitive too bc it is my kid's party. LOL Maybe I am just being overly critical. I agree with all the cautiousness above. I do let my oldest, age 7 right his bike up and down the street while I am inside. The younger 2 I have to supervise but my 7 year old I can trust. It has taken me a long time to relax about stuff like that. DH nagged me enough that I gave in about the bike riding. .

I have a friend who won't let them outdoors at all without supervision and this is an 8 year old I am talking about, at some point you have to trust that they have some common sense. KWIM? The other thing was day camp. My other friend wanted me to volunteer for our boys day camp so we could each be in one of their groups. Not an insane request, but I was just bowled over when she said she wasn't going to let her boys attend if we couldn't do that. I think it is good for Talen to get some time away from me with other adults and kiddos.

The other thing is our neighbors, on both sides of us. Their kids NEVER come outside. They go to PS then home and stay inside. Why, bc they can't come out alone, but the parents are too lazy to come out and supervise! It just sucks for them, and for my kids who want to play with them. Can you tell I have just had it up to my eyeballs today?

Like I said maybe I am being overly critical but I have just had it today.

Okay we are having a sleepover for Trent's birthday. I have not a problem with my older 2 doing an over night stay, esp if I know the people as well as we do. I would look at it as a treat in fact for the kids AND ME. LOL They aren't seeing it that way and are making the kids cut out at bedtime. That is my pet peeve right now.

I guess I am just being sensitive too bc it is my kid's party. LOL Maybe I am just being overly critical. I agree with all the cautiousness above, except I do let my oldest, age 7 right his bike up and down the street while I am inside. The younger 2 I have to supervise but my 7 year old I can trust. It has taken me a long time to relax about stuff like that though.

I have a friend who won't let them outdoors at all without supervision and this is an 8 year old I am talking about, at some point you have to trust that they have some common sense. KWIM? The other thing was day camp. My other friend wanted me to volunteer for our boys day camp so we could each be in one of their groups. Not an insane request, but I was just bowled over when she said she wasn't going to let her boys attend if we couldn't do that. Sorry that just bowled me over too. I think it is good for Talen to get some time away from me with other adults and kiddos.

The other thing is our neighbors, on both sides of us. Their kids NEVER come outside. They go to PS then home and stay inside. Why, bc they can't come out alone, but the parents are too lazy to come out and supervise! It just sucks for them, and for my kids who want to play with them. Can you tell I have just had it up to my eyeballs today?

Like I said maybe I am being overly critical but I have just had it today.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Last edited by grunig; May 8th, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
May 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
And, oh gosh, I hope I didn't stick my foot in my mouth here today.

</a>
May 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ok that's a tad much. I have to say I am so not over protective..my kid slick shopping cart handles, heck taejan ate goat poop.. the 7 year old rides his bike in the neighborhood alone ( of course it's a no thru traffic neighborhood) Ziah and Declan can play in the yard alone..not Taejan of course. Over protective moms annoy me..sorry.. just a fact.. I'm the way I am and I've gotten one to almost 15 unharmed...
May 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'd say that's a little over the top. My kids have never had a sleep over, but I must say it's not because I'm overprotective. They've never been invited. However, with Jack I have to be a little bit overprotective when it comes to things like sleep overs because of his diabetes. If he didn't have JD, I wouldn't give it a second thought if he were invited to spend the night with a friend, so long as I knew the family. As for playing outside alone, my kids do all the time. Granted we live in a very small town on a dead-end road with NO traffic.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
If you lived here jack could come here for a sleepover I have my friends 6 year old who's diabetic all the time..in fact I have "my own" insulin supply here..lol.. I have zero issue taking care of his "blood sugars" ( as my kids call it)..and his mom will tell ya I do a good job..lol..we've taken him hours away from home and never had an issue...

BUT anyway.. yeah my 3 littles ones have never done a sleepover..but they could if invited and I knew the family well!
May 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I am glad you don't think I am crazy. Allison we sound a bit a like. I let the other 2 play outside unsupervised, just not ride there bike in the street alone. And that is only bc they can't ride without training wheels yet.

Jenn,

I totally understand your situation. I have a friend with a child that has a peanut allergy and she has to be cautious so I totally get special circumstances but these kids have none. Anyway I just needed to vent earlier and I feel a bit better so thanks for listening!

</a>
May 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Veteran
Miguel can only spend the night at a family friends. Our friend will say up until he falls asleep sometime 4 am, is able to help his tantrum and his problems with anger.
he's not a kid I can trust outside alone but he is able to play with friends alone in a fenced in back yard.
If he did get an invitation to a sleep over it would come with both cell numbers, family cell numbers, warning to call if we need to pick him up.
May 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Veteran
dp

Last edited by lpimentel; May 9th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
May 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Veteran
tp

Last edited by lpimentel; May 9th, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
May 9th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My older two play outside a lot without me. And often have the almost 3 year old with them as well. Sometimes they even take the 10 month old. The 9 and 7 year olds (especially the 7 year old lol) have proven themselves trustworthy for that. Most of the kids on the street are not allowed out much at all, if at all, and I know some of the neighbors think I am entirely crazy. I mean one berated me because my son climbed a tree because HER son was chasing him. I was actually impressed with how high Cameron went in the tree. Where did she think my kid was going to go if her kid was chasing him? I think she was mad because her kid tried to climb the "dangerous" tree after Cameron. Amazing how we all grew up mostly intact and even climbed trees, huh?

Anyway, I do know people who do not allow sleepovers at all. Ani and Cameron have both slept over at a couple of their friends' houses and their friends have slept over here as well. I read a magazine article that was way over the top recently talking about how if you let your kids sleep over at others' houses (and it was including family!) they'd surely be the victims of sexual abuse because that's just what happens at sleepovers. Now, I spent nights at many other people's houses as a kid and never had anything like that happen.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search