Just when ya think..

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
things can't get worse..they do..

my friend works at the unemployment office..so I asked her to check on E's claim.. see if she could figure out what he'd get... turns out more than he was bringing home after the 10% cut and no OT..so we felt relieved since i base our budget on 40 hours straight pay ..so we'd be good. Then she calls me back..it's going to be SIX more weeks MIN before we see our first check.. SIX weeks.. ..so that;s min of eight weeks with NO income but the $83.08 I get bi-weekly from my job and the $72 weekly I MIGHT get from child support.
I am beyond upset..we have an emergency fund , which is 1./3 gone now and would have filled the holes for another week maybe week and a 1/2 with no income..but 6 more weeks..nope.. I can't pay my mortgage, my car payment, heck my electricity and gas bill..never mind buy food..I am so at a loss right now.. I want to be done..curl up in a hole and forget I am an adult.
We are swallowing our pride and applying for emergency food stamps monday morning..we've put it off because even though we had no income we figured another week and we'd be getting his unemployment and we had that emergency money to get us thru..now we have no choice..we have to go..and I hate it. Not even when I was 18 and single with a baby did I get food stamps..I hate this!

Last edited by JustAKrazymom; May 8th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
May 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Alison! I'm so so sorry, hun! I can't imagine. I don't understand why it's going to take so long. Do they really think that people applying for unemployment can wait 2 months for help? I mean, my gosh! If you had finances for 2 months, you wouldn't be there applying for unemployment. It just makes NO SENSE to me. I'm just so upset for you right now.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
But Allison you are the person the EMERGENCY food stamps are for. You didn't ask for this, didn't do this to yourself, and are NOT looking for a hand out. YOU are the person who DESERVES the help........

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Veteran
Agreeing with Stacy here. My dh is also very against government help, but this would be a case that is what the food stamps and unemployment is for. You aren't looking for this to be long term, you are doing everything you can. It is time to take the help that you can get:)

You may want to call your utilities and mortage company right now and let them know what is going on. They will be more willing to help if you call *before* the bills are late. I know you won't be the first to call with this kind of news.

(((((HUGS)))))

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
May 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would also let your mortgage people and the others know about the situation. They will most likely be willing to give you an extension. Sorry you're going through this!

Hugs!

Robin

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Veteran
I hope things get better and it doesn't take that long for the unemployment.
May 8th, 2009, 10:57 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know, Sweetie. HUGS...you are going to come out of this okay!

May 9th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk

Don't worry about pride. Emergency food stamps are just for this emergency. I am opposed to government handouts for people who are on them indefinitely. I am completely and totally for handouts for those who need a little help for a little while like you guys. Definitely call all the places you have bills at and explain the situation. Most places will help you out when they know this is a temporary thing and you don't intend to stiff them.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah..Eric plans to call all the utilities and Chase ( holds our van) first thing Monday and explain it to them. I am so against Gov't handouts.. i think the amount of people who take and take have just left such a bad taste in my mouth about help..but your right..this is what it's for.. doesn't make it any easier really though.. if we can work out "deals" with the utilities and most important our van and house then we won't even apply for the food stamps..we'd much rather walk on our own 2 feet..
May 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Veteran
Go to community action also they will help with utilities until you get back on your feet.
May 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
I'm so sorry Alison. I hope they are able to process it quicker. The nice thing is, I think once you start getting it, the first payment will be larger because it's for all the weeks since applying.

Don't feel bad about FS. Those programs are there for just this reason. Think of all the years you paid taxes into a system. Now it's time to use a little bit of that. As a taxpayer you have paid into it. That's the only thing that helped my dh's pride at having to go on unemployment.

As for Chase...I wish you the best of luck with them. When dh lost his jobs, they were the WORST to deal with. The real kick in the pants was that was the account he had had the longest...25yrs! And rather than work with us, they chose to sue. I will never in my life ever have anything to do with Chase!!

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
May 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
We worked it out a touch.. mortgage will give us 2 months... just tacked on the end..so now I can pay my van and not have to deal with them...
May 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alison, I am so happy that they worked with you on the mortgage...we will need to deal with that ourselves this week too. We really thought he would have a job by now. *sigh* Keep going!

May 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
We are still holding on to him getting called back..but honestly not hugely worried at this exact moment..UE will be more than he would have brought him on 40 straight with the pay cut.. so now we want to hold out and find something better..not just something to say he's working..kwim? and in 5 weeks I'll be watching a friends kiddo ( the one what works at the UE office..lol) and that's $20 a day...so I'll be helping out more!
May 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am sorry Alison. I am glad you are getting things figured out a bit and that the bill companies are willing to help a bit.

When I was a 20 year old college student married to a college student with a tiny baby, I got all the help I could get from the government. Now, I am paying for every bit of it and then some. LOL I don't feel guilty. The shame is those who refuse to work and just abuse the system. This is NOT the situation for you guys at all! And as soon as he retuns to work, you can stop the foodstamps. That is what we did and to this day I refuse to feel bad about it!

Keep your chin up!
May 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm glad they are willing to work with you!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I think we will be able to avoid FS.. he just got a call from a buddy who needs help with some side work..he'll make enough tomorrow to pay the car insurance bill.. so we are slowly getting the money in line to survive for the weeks till he gets his first check. I really want to avoid any gov't "help" I can... like I said when I was 18 and a single mom I didn't take it..I don't really want to start now if there is a way I can avoid it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search