Schooling through Summer

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
4boys
Is anyone here planning on schooling through the summer? What are your plans for what the kidlets will do?

There are a few things we will probably continue with just because we won't be done by the end of June, like our Studying God's Word book. We only started it in January so we won't be done in time. I'm also thinking about doing R&S Gr. 2 social studies over the summer. It's sort of an extra; I only bought it because it was cheap and looked cute! We'll probably still read lots of books and play outside lots and I want to teach Bailey, possibly Toby as well, to swim this summer.
May 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will be schooling through the summer, but flexible for fun stuff. We have had a lot of time off recently.

May 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
We are. It's mostly loosey goosey. I did buy the HOC Mosquito lapbook, so we'll be doing that. I've been gathering stuff for the 4th of July/Fireworks. And math. My 11yo needs math every day or he forgets everything.

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
May 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We will be.. we do "hard core" learning in the winter and not so nice months..in the nice weather we do more loosey goosey and fun stuff..but always his the 3 R's..
May 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We will relax a bit We will be finishing up his 2nd grade grammar this week and he is already doing 3rd grade work in everything else so I think we can slack up a bit. We school year round anyway but June-July we usually do very little and then pick up in late July-August when it gets sticky hot out.

This year I am going to have to play it differently and we will continue to school through June with short breaks here and there. In July the older 2 are heading off to Germany for a month so no school except for some reading to send with Omi, and maybe some Math. Then we will pick up again, probably in late August/September.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Germany..wow..well for me that is like..serious life learning for those boys..LUCKY kids!!!!
May 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're probably having our niece and nephew here for a couple of weeks at a time (overnighting, I think) a few times over the summer. I need to see what my SIL wants to see as a result of the summer, but we'll be doing library time, playing with the kids on the street, and anything "fun but educational" I can think up that is free, lol. Oh, and we'll be introducing them to the idea that there is another way to live, since they're only familiar with a very controlling and suppressing atmosphere.

Anyway, I'm figuring we'll do lots of reading, go to the beach a lot, watch the birds, go for nature walks, and see if I can find any free/cheap museums around here... and maybe if SIL wants, we'll continue with my nephew's reading lessons. He kinda just sat stagnating for the last seven months... of course, I'm not sure how to get away with doing "real" school with him without giving my niece real stuff (she's the one who insisted last summer), so then we'll *really* have to see, lol... :-)
May 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We school year round.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've already started being pretty lax here. As far as this "year's" stuff, we only have a few lessons left in history. Jack has 2 lessons left in math. Justin has 3 lessons in math & a few ETC pages. So we're taking it easy this month. Then we'll take all of June off & start back up with the next school year sometime in July or whenever they start asking for it.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're going year round as well. We do all the same stuff but we get it done early enough that the neighborhood kids aren't outside yet. Everyone is sleeping! Plus, all our regular stuff takes 60-90 minutes tops so it's not really that big of a deal. (And we take days off for fun stuff!)

May 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
ilovemy3wikids
We go year round. I'd like to get a little ahead since I want to take some time off when baby comes
May 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Nope! We've got 14 days of school left!
I always have good intentions of doing something during the summer, but, honestly, we're all really ready for a break, so I've never followed through. We do the summer reading program and go to the zoo and things like that, but nothing overtly educational!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Last edited by KarateMom; May 11th, 2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Because the stupid message board copied my reply three times!
May 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to go to GERMANY!

May 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
We don't officially go year round but everyone has 1 hour of free reading every day (me too), some math and both my sons have a blog and they love writing articles for. And we visit the library once a week during the summer. I love the idea of blending learning with family life! I'm working on it....
Jana
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA
May 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by janaleigh View Post
We don't officially go year round but everyone has 1 hour of free reading every day (me too), some math and both my sons have a blog and they love writing articles for. And we visit the library once a week during the summer. I love the idea of blending learning with family life! I'm working on it....
Jana
I see your in OC, so am I!

Anyways, back on subject here...
We will see how summer plays out here. David's nana is coming to see everyone and wants to take David back top TX with her for 2 months and I don't think he's going to go, so we will probably do some school stuff, part because I don't want to take 3 months off school and fall out of routine, part because David would never let me, and part because I can use it as a great excuse why David needs to stay here.
May 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Is anyone here planning on schooling through the summer?
We school year round

Quote:
What are your plans for what the kidlets will do?
???????
May 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We will school through summer. TONS of time off recently because of buying a house and moving, but really Emily isn't even technically kindergarten age so we are good plus she is ahead. We will be doing lots of school for fun.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't school in the summer. We need the break. BUT my one of my daughters is going to summer school for Math. I am hoping to get her caught up to her grade level since she is the one always asking to go to P.S. I figure in case it actually happens someday, she needs to get her Math skills up to par.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 14th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
By the way, even though we school year round we still cover a year of material (36 weeks' worth) in a year (about 52 weeks). We take breaks whenever we need them. For example, we finished week 3 of the current core we're doing today and won't go back to school until after we're settled after our move (we move a week from tomorrow).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We school year round and take off when we want or if we need to. We were supposed to start first grade a couple of weeks ago, but sick little boys had other plans.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search