help with schooling

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hi I am new here. I decided to join because I need to help my seven year old with reading this summer. I feel that people who homeschool would be the best help. Right now he is a first grader and has trouble reading. They finally a month ago started helping with the problem. He is going to speech therapy and title 1. They want him to go to summer school but I would rather not send him. He hates school the way it is and is fights every day about going. So i would like to work with him at home on reading. I thought I would take him to the library a couple times a week and could work at home with some type of books. Anyone have any suggests onto what to do or am I just getting in over my head and should send him to summer school?
May 11th, 2009, 09:41 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Would his summer school teachers be the same ones he has now? If so, I'd skip it. Obviously they're failing him. Has be been tested for learning disabilites? If he has any, you should also check out the learning disabilites board. I can't give you any specific pointers on teaching reading (especially not knowing what level a typical 7 year old should be on... my son is 3, and my degree is in music). I can recommend something like Sylvan if you're looking for outside help, though. Others here can probably recommend a good reading program for home use. Definitely check your library... they usually have some sort of summer reading program, and I know the ones around here also have a parent night once a month to give you ideas on teaching your children to read.
May 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really loved the book: "The ordinary parent's guide to teaching reading". Eli, my now 10 year old was reading in 1 month! It was so good! I think it would serve you well for the summer at a good price and it takes minutes a day. I would start at the beginning and go at his pace.

Language Arts - Reading Skills

I would see if you could find it cheaper on half.com or amazon.

Stick around this summer! We will help!

May 12th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'd look at how he learns best and tailor teaching reading to that (for example, The Ordinary Parents Guide was a major flop here). Also, what is the school system using? It's obviously not working. Is he not learning at all or is he just behind? Not all kids learn to read at the same time. Unfortunately, public schools are on a timetable and expect them to anyway.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM
He is just behind. They discovered in early October that he has a speech problem. His 's' takes on the sound of a t or k, but we didn't even get a meeting to discuss this until until late March. So now that school is ending he has come up with about a month of speech and title 1. I wasn't very happy about that. When we met in early April, the class was starting to work on the digraph sounds. I feel that they are a little behind there considering they started full day kindergarten last year. Thanks I am going to try The Ordinary Parents Guide and see where that gets me.
May 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Veteran
The Leapfrog reading video helped Miguel with speech and taught him to read. Also explode the code On-line may help. If he fights school I'd stay away from anything that looks like school. Going to the library and picking read aloud and independent reading books. Welcome!!!
May 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I wouldn't be surprised if once his speech problems are taken care of his reading issues are too. For example, Cameron sometimes says the /f/ sound instead of /th/. We've been working with him on his speech and he's much better now than he used to be. For reading the /th/ sound I just kept working with him reminding him what the sound is. He used to consistently read "this" as "fizz" but now he gets it right all the time. It was mostly a matter of daily practice and reminders as he read.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If he hates school it sure would ruin his summer by sending him to summer school. At least that's how I would look at it at his age. I would keep him home and do something fun with him. Try some of the suggestions above!

May 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would look at his learning style and find a phonics program you think would fit. Probably starting at or near the beginning (Unless the beginning is something he's known well for a year) And work through at his pace. My own seven year old is slow to pick up reading. She probably does have learning problems, but I've never had her tested. I really don't think for her a different teacher/ method/ more lessons would really change things. She has a lot of troubles remembering things and we plod along slowly, going back over much of everything every day. She can now sound out pretty much any straightforward word using the basic sounds. Up to about 6 letters long or so. At the moment we are going over th, ch, sh. I even go over a number of 3 letter words daily simply because she remembers very few. Most she sounds out. I find a lot of extra practice sheets online by looking up what we will do that day. Such as "ch work sheets" One good site for games and reading is Starfall. Learn to Read at Starfall - teaching comprehension and phonics I second the leap pad Word factory videos.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Thank you for all the tips. I will check walmart next time I go and look for the video. We have made up a schedule for when school is out for him to go to the library a couple of times a week.
May 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would give the Starfall site a shot too. You can try it with him now and see how he likes it and it's free!

As long as you're going to the library, see if they have a summer reading program. That will give him even more incentives to keep trying.

Good luck and yes, stay with us. I think it's great that you're planning to summer school him yourself instead of having him sit in the classroom all summer. You can do it!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
We used Phonics Pathways and Explode the Code to really cement phonics for my 5 year old. He is reading really well, but it is definitely a process.

I would start by seeing exactly what the school is doing to "help" him. Are they starting over with phonics, drilling sight words, what? I am not saying you should take their approach, but different kids have different things they struggle with in learning to read. For instance, my older son wasn't taught phonics in ps, so he STILL struggles with sounding out new words. He wants to just say the first word that "starts" the same as a word that he knows. It is frustrating...so my approach with him was to go back and reintroduce phonics.

My younger son loves to read real books, but absolutely detested repeating sounds when he was learning phonics. He is a hand-on do'er, so to speak. He wants to read the book, not look at it while I read it....not say each sound...READ. So, I made sure to have plenty of reading material on hand for him and we took time each day for him to "show me how to read" - then he would tolerate the phonics instruction better.

I think it really depends on what he is struggling with exactly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search