Do you teach your children another language?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
I am thinking about starting Chyanne on a foreign language. I have been learning latin using rosetta stone, and I am tossing around the idea of teaching it to Chy and Hope too.

What do you think? What do you teach your kiddos?
May 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Veteran
We haven't done a formal program. Mostly because I'd like to use RS, but can't afford it right now. We have played around with Spanish here and there, but nothing formal, and a little with sign language because I know a little.

I would like to focus more on sign language (I know this isn't exactly the same thing) and if we don't get to it sooner, then she will do foreign language for high school.

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
May 15th, 2009, 08:47 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't started yet, but I'm planning on Latin as well.
May 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
David will start spanish next year. I will learn with him. Living in So Cal with most of the jobs requiring bi-lingual in spanish I feel this is really important.
May 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We did Song School Latin last year. This year we're starting a sort of survey of foreign languages course to teach them just a few (I didn't count, but at least 100) words in various languages just to introduce them to what the languages are like so they can make an educated decision in choosing the language they ultimately focus on to learn around high school age. Each language lasts 12 weeks (I wrote the course). We've done 3 weeks of Romanian so far. Next is Spanish and then German. We started with Romanian because my sister's family is living over there right now and they can "practice" by talking on Skype with their almost 6 year old cousin who is pretty much fluent in Romanian now.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 16th, 2009, 03:48 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We are currently teaching them German through RS. Not doing it as often as we should bc they are picking up from their Omi too. They will be going to German in July for a month so immersion is going to help too.

We are going to start them on Latin next year, and then when they are maybe 6th grade I want them to learn Spanish. From there they can take any FL they want but I think Latin and Spanish are VERY important to at least be exposed to.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
awesome! I thought latin because every language is based on it. And so much of english and medical language is based on it. The medical field is VERY popular around here due to the 20 hospitals in the area :-P. So chances are high they will get into it, so it will be doog to know. In fact Chyanne wants to be an EMS tech.
May 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We've been doing Latin and French here with the older kids. We speak some conversational Spanish because I know quite a bit and I also casually teach them ASL because I know a bit of that too.
I haven't decided when to start formal foreign language lessons for the younger ones. I think for now I'd like to keep it casual and use more of an immersion approach for them.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Veteran
Miguel learns Spanish from everyone around him. He has a DS Spanish and Japaneses games. He is taking sign language at his Co-op next semester and Latin when he's nine. We do nothing formal yet at home.
May 16th, 2009, 04:06 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Yep. Scotty is starting Song School Latin this year and Bryce is starting Spanish.
May 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We'll do Spanish when the time comes, although I'm liking Heather's approach to expose them and allow them to make the decision. Hmmmm....now I'll have to think on it.

May 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't do any foreign language formally. I know a little bit of a few languages & we just play around with it. (ie: kids ask, "How do you say ____ in...?" And sometimes they'll ask me a question & I'll answer them in some other language.) I figure this way, they'll be able to decide which language intrigues them the most & we'll focus on it later on.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to try to teach them Arabic. I'm still trying to learn myself though so it could get interesting!

May 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Learning together is more fun anyway! :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to start with Latin....but it is going to be Spanish. I took 2 years of french in school and can only remember a tiny bit of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search